What's new

Neck Troubles

Ok guys... I've managed to get the hang of using my single edge razor -- on my face anyhow. Everything falls apart when I get to my jawline and below. I can shave it, but it's not smooth. If I try to shave it to the point of being smooth, I end up with a bloodbath. I've tried up -> down, down -> up, back -> front and front -> back.

The best seems to be front -> back, with the worst being back -> front. I guess my question is: is this typical and I'm just stumbling through the learning curve? Any tricks I should know about?

Thanks,
Cliff

Shaving the neck is a challenge for many of us and what you describe is not at all unusual. I recommend reading through this thread which is devoted to the subject of neck shaving issues.

I can shave it, but it's not smooth. If I try to shave it to the point of being smooth, I end up with a bloodbath. I've tried up -> down, down -> up, back -> front and front -> back.

The best seems to be front -> back, with the worst being back -> front. I guess my question is: is this typical and I'm just stumbling through the learning curve? Any tricks I should know about?
Don't chase that BBS but aim for a comfortable close shave. Don't press hard and keep a constant blade angle. I am not familiar with the Asylum RX but I think your technique is the problem. The chin and changes in curvature are a challenge for any shaver so be patient and keep working on technique.

...Everything falls apart when I get to my jawline and below. I can shave it, but it's not smooth. If I try to shave it to the point of being smooth, I end up with a bloodbath. ...
Are you sure you're not trying to shave what I call "ghost stubble"?

I get this on some spots below my chin and on either side of my adam's apple. When I rub it against the grain with my fingertips during shaving, it will feel like there is still some stubble, and I'll keep going after it, then I give up. I apply the alum block, cold water rinse, and an alcohol-based aftershave as usual.
Twenty minutes or so after I finish, my skin has fully dried and it's baby butt smooth after all. The stubble I thought was still there is totally gone. Hence the term "ghost stubble".

By now I've learned to ignore the ghost stubble. (;)See what I did there?)

Guys, thank you. I will continue to work on technique. I spent an embarrassingly long time thinking before I understood what WTG, ATG and XTG meant. Got it now :)

John, there is a chance I'm chasing ghost stubble. I experience something similar after shaving where it more-or-less goes away.

Thanks for the thoughts and references. I will continue and let you know how it's going.

Some great advice above!

I would also suggest two other things:
1. Try mapping your beard to understand what the directions really are, and
2. Try skin stretching to better expose your whiskers.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

Today I received Feather Pro blades and gave them a try. I have to say I much prefer them to the Pro Guard blades. No nicks, cuts or anything and it's much closer over two passes than I could get over three with the Pro Guard blades. I mean you know the blade is there, but it just seems easier to manage somehow.

Asylum RX. I also ordered some Feather Light blades too. They are still in the mail though.

Report:

Equipment...
Razor: Asylum RX
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (new)
Soap: Michael's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Swiss Pitralon

Results...
Passes: 3 [XTG, ATG, WTG]
Shave: Very very close, but not perfect
Bloodshed: Moderate (probably ten nicks)

It's become clear to me that in order to deal with my lower jaw and neck area, an ATG pass is necessary. This is where the majority of nicks come from. The good news is that the count of ten is probably half of what resulted last time I tried it (and that was with a guard blade). So maybe I get the "most improved" trophy??? Anyhow, I feel like I'm on the rightish track. Keeping with zero pressure and skin stretching helps a lot.

IMG_1342.jpg

Neck is complicated at least for me too, (too sensitive) one thing that helped me a lot is mapping my beard and grain direction as well as minimum to zero pressure while shaving.
Take your time and always try to keep the right angle specially with straight razors.
Stretching the skin will help tremendously as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When going down to up pass on my back, I use a soup spoon type grip. It gives me more dexterity, detail and a lighter touch. Give that a try. Also grow it out for three days and look today see if you have the grain correct, as it can change wuicklq on the neck. Also as you have found out, finding better hardware and software can make a huge difference.

Best, JM

Top Bottom