What's new

Neck Tie wearers please I need advice.

I have an issue with my neck grtting pretty ticked off when I shave then wear a tie, especially when its warm.. Any suggestions. I shave the night before or morning of. Does the same.

At the risk of being obvious, have you tried larger collars on your dress shirts? Go up an inch and see what happens.

Some gents seem to like to have their shirt collars tight against their necks, with their ties socked down tight, too. If that's you, maybe try a larger collar size and only tighten the tie to the collar, not your neck.

At the risk of being obvious, have you tried larger collars on your dress shirts? Go up an inch and see what happens.

Some gents seem to like to have their shirt collars tight against their necks, with their ties socked down tight, too. If that's you, maybe try a larger collar size and only tighten the tie to the collar, not your neck.

I do have multiple shirts and some more snug than others. Today I wore a larger shirt and it was better. Was hoping for a powder or trick someone has tried.

A moisturizing balm may help if you have not tried that already. Arko AS balm, Arko AS Cream, Blueness, AoS balm, and Neutrogena come to mind. The neck is like the waist. It tends to get bigger, and the effect sneaks up on you before you realize you need to fit something that accommodates more girth. It happens several times in an adult lifetime, unless you get ultra-fit and reverse the process.

I have to wear a shirt and tie daily for work, generally go with a half size bigger than measured. No irritation at all.

Use of baby powder, lightly applied when neck is totally dried works but a shirt collar half size larger works better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I do have multiple shirts and some more snug than others.

Shirt collar extenders

$collarextender.jpg

The general rule is you should be able to fit two fingers in between your neck and collar but not 3. I wear my shirts snug as it looks much more professional however you may want to go up in size if you're having irritation.

This. I also shave the night before whenever possible, and shower in the morning after my workout. In warmer weather I will just wear my tie with the top button open. IMO an undone button with a tie looks better than a poorly fitted shirt with a neck that is too loose.

I also don't go BBS on the bottom of my neck. DFS is fine there and better on my neck when I wear a collared shirt.

In my experience, it's the shave and not the tie. if your shave irritates or damages the skin then the collar will make it worse.
I do 2 passes with the grain and maybe one across sometimes. No irritation and no tie troubles.

This not an issue for me (and I wear a tie to work). Are you sure you are wearing the correct size collar?

I'm in the same boat as you OP. The collar definitely causes a little irritation on the neck, after a shave. My solution is to leave the top button unbuttoned and wear the tie a little looser. This seems to help me!

Here's a question for you. Do you get your shirts starched? I have found that heavy starch can irritate my neck. Try using no starch or light starch on your shirts.

Build your own shirt on http://www.moderntailor.com I've never tried one but I heard they are really nice. But I do believe some sort of powder or lotion should definitely help as well. Good luck

Another good source for custom-made shirts is www.nattyshirts.com ... I have not ordered from them but their prices look really good.

When I wear a tie, I will secure the top button long enough to get the tie wrapped, then once its in place, I undo the top button. That gives enough slack in the collar that it doesn't pinch or snag or rub in the wrong places.

I am a large (read FAT) man who wears ties most days. I'll admit that a tight collar is not good but typically a tight collar tends to sit lower and rub less than many are suggesting...irritation is still highly influenced by the shave and post care. I do wear a proper fitting collar that allows more breathing room but that wasn't always the case. My suggestion is to incorporate a few pre and post shave tricks as well as do what you can to improve the fit of the collar.

I see you are a new guy here, assuming you are CONUS (I don't think international shipping would appreciate my gesture...not sure USPS will either) send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some Clubman talc. It smells good and if I'm going to suggest you use it I should send you some.

Being new new here I am guessing you might still be a little new at DE. I suggest using a pre-shave glycerin soap (I'll send you one) to better prepare your neck. Just wet, lather, leave sit while you make your lather, rinse and apply your lather as usual. If you face lather just rinse before lathering. I found the best thing for a better neck shave was COLD water. Cold prep, shave and rinse is my routine but at a minimum you should be doing your last rinse with COLD water. Splash on some Witch Hazel (medicated, with menthol whatever). Let the WH dry and apply your regular AS splash or balm (I'm not a balm guy but some people suggest it for a sensitive neck, Nivea sensitive skin is good and it's available at Walmart now.). After your AS is dry apply the talc. I suggest a light brush or cotton rag to help get a light coat, the clubman is pink toned to match skin and hide cuts ...weird but it's been that way forever.
Of course you should try to shave carefully on your neck as well, maybe evaluate whether you need more (or less) passes. I find anything less than BBS causes more irritation for me, some just knock off the tops and call it good ...just depends on your growth pattern and how/why the irritation is caused.

I also wash my face/neck and apply an alcohol based AS at night to reduce chances of irritation caused by getting hot while sleeping.

Good luck man.

Top Bottom