What's new

Neck Irritation

I don't believe that gents suffer from neck irritation in general, but the problem is almost always ingrown hairs. This is due to genetics and the fact that your neck skin is always expanding contracting- when the hairs are cut below the skin they grow while the skin is contracted and the result is ingrown hairs. The short answer is don't cut the hairs below the skin. You can shave close everywhere else you don't have problem spots with ingrowns- for me, the trouble spots are left and right side of the Adam's apple. In those spots i go over once with the razor while my neck skin is in the normal rested position and then i leave it alone. If i shave it further i almost always get a raised red spot in the area, and the next day i'll go over it again with teh razor and it bleeds.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Everybody is different, some suffer from skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and other such ailments, where irritation can be a real issue, with or without, DE shaving. Those who have sensitive skin, are much more susceptible to irritation as well. As tough as I am, I have sensitive skin, and it doesn't take much to irritate my neck.

Take my last DE shave for example, I ran my DE razor over my neck too many times to get to a BBS, the result is that I caused some irritation redness on my neck. When I ran the alum block over my face, it was fine. But when I ran the alum block over my neck, feel the stingy burn baby woooo dang!

I threw on some which hazel, then I followed that up with Pinaud Clubman Vanilla aftershave splash, then once that had a chance to dry, I followed that up with some Stirling Executive Man moisturizing lotion. 24-hours later, my neck pretty much looks normal again. 48-hours later, touching my neck with my fingers, neck skin sensitivity has dropped a good amount.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It’s a very common problem. Keep at it and you will get it. Perhaps don’t so hard for a close shave result. Do your two passes using as light of a touch as you can, and stop regardless. No third pass, no touch ups, no buffing. See how that progresses things.

My neck/throat skin is easily irritated and the hair grows parallel to my skin on the lower part of my neck/throat area. It took me about a year and half to figure this out with the help of the fine folks here 😃!

I only do 2 passes on my neck/throat area and it looks like this:

First pass:
View attachment 1663402

My second pass:

View attachment 1663403

Its the most comfortable shave for me and I rarely get alum sting. For me it results in near BBS. Its smooth enough that my neck doesn't get irritated with collared shirts.
Where did you find this great graphic?

My neck is somewhat sensitive. every time I get irritation it is either bad soap or most likely poor razor angle. Since you use good soaps it is likely your razor angle.

another possibility is sensitivity to the perfume in the soap. you can try unscented and see. Just buy a sample.

I’m betting on razor angle.

How does it compare to your best soaps?
I got rid of every last soap, cream and brush I had and gave them to the doorman and porter. That’s all I have now. It even works as an aftershave.

Attachments

• IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    844.6 KB · Views: 28
Remember if you Irratation is so bad you need run to real deal Dermatologist, they only practice medicine. Mean if could be time before they get problem figured out, and right pill or save to resolved.

My old Dermotoligist had year of clinical experience. Believe she could have treated POTUS Lincoln, yes she was old, but had 50 plus years in her field.

Thanks. Does it work with cold water? I normally use cold water for shaves because of my skin, or at room temperature at the most
I use warm water so I imagine cold will be fine because once your face is wet the water warms anyway. This stuff is not finicky. Oh and if you need to touch up just splash a little water on your face and it gets slick again. It is very nourishing and very easy on your skin. This company makes really great men’s products across the board. By god if your skin is sensitive don’t use alcohol on it.

I use warm water so I imagine cold will be fine because once your face is wet the water warms anyway. This stuff is not finicky. Oh and if you need to touch up just splash a little water on your face and it gets slick again. It is very nourishing and very easy on your skin. This company makes really great men’s products across the board. By god if your skin is sensitive don’t use alcohol on it.

Thanks. I forgot to ask you: how does it compare to Cremo? I’ve used it and like it, but in my experience, it really shines with hot water.

Shaving the neck can be difficult for many people. As you age, the skin on the neck often becomes saggy which makes shaving even harder.

You might find that the same razor and blade combination you use to shave your cheeks might not be ideal for shaving your face. Try a less aggressive razor and blade combo on your neck.

While many people like shaving with a steel blade angle, I find that that can result din increased skin irritaion. You might try shaving with a shallow blade angle "off the cap" when shaving your neck. It might help, or it might not.

JB is much slicker than Cremo and it’s clear. It relies on different technology so its not activated by water nor does it absorb water like Cremo.

Jack Black is totally non-lathering. It might be OK for use with a cartridge razor, but I hated it. It just gummed up my DE razor.

Cremo is designed to be used without a brush. However, when mixed with warm water, it becomes super slick. I tried it when shaving with a wet/dry electric shaver and it seemed to work. It is also my choice for shaving when I travel. I use a cheap synthetic brush and make a pseudo lather with a little hot water in a coffee cup from the hotel room. When prepared this was, Cremo is as slick as the very best shave soaps. However, Cremo is not as protective as a real shave soap lathered with a proper shaving brush. Thus, I do not recommend it for anyone battling skin irritation.

Jack Black is totally non-lathering. It might be OK for use with a cartridge razor, but I hated it. It just gummed up my DE razor.

Cremo is designed to be used without a brush. However, when mixed with warm water, it becomes super slick. I tried it when shaving with a wet/dry electric shaver and it seemed to work. It is also my choice for shaving when I travel. I use a cheap synthetic brush and make a pseudo lather with a little hot water in a coffee cup from the hotel room. When prepared this was, Cremo is as slick as the very best shave soaps. However, Cremo is not as protective as a real shave soap lathered with a proper shaving brush. Thus, I do not recommend it for anyone battling skin irritation.
I have never had that issue with Jack Black with three different razors. It is embarrassing how much better it is that any cream or soap using a brush. Why anyone bothers with a brush for a mediocre shave is beyond me. Not sure why your razor gummed up, I can shave a whole side including neck without rinsing the razor.

Lather being protective is a total myth. If it really was the blade would never be able to cut the facial hair. The only thing that reduces irritation is to eliminate friction ie slickness.

Top Bottom