What's new

Neck Irritation

I used to use the Gillette Fusion ProGlide for years, however,with the ridiculous prices I finally decided to switch to DE. For the past month I've been using the Parker 99R & most of the blades I've used (Astra Blue, Astra Green, Voskhod, Gillette Platinum, Shark, Derby) all do well on my face, but I'm getting irritation on my neck. It seems I get nicks and cuts around my jawline where my neck begins. I've been using Pacific Shaving Company products & haven't tried using a brush or shave soap yet. I've heard using a adjustable DE razor might help. I'm open to trying other techniques & products that might help fix my issues.

To me, it seems like you are having an issue maintaining the proper razor angle and pressure along your jawline. You might benefit from pulling your skin up or down so that the skin over your jawline (when resting) is shaved with a flat surface area rather than over a dramatic curve. Wetting your fingers and touching an alum block will help your fingers grip your skin.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You probably have a wild growth pattern on your neck.

Don't buy anything new just yet, but of the blades you have, I'd use the Gillette Platinum and whatever color the Astra SS is. Tho I'm in the minority; most folks prefer the Astra SP.

If you get into a brush and soap style of shaving you might get better results on your neck.

But REALLY look closely at the growth pattern of the hair on your neck. Only shave in the direction it grows for a while.

And a softened beard is really the biggest key for me. I like to put a warm wet towel on my face for at least 2 or 3 minutes. If I rush that step, it is more times than not an irritating post shave feel.

And RELAX! lol. You WILL get good at this, and soon.

And welcome to the FarmerTan fan club! lol, I seriously need help. Welcome to B&B!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

More blade rigidity might help too. The Gillette Slim and most Fatboy adjustables offer an enhanced rigidity design, but theres more than one way to get to the same place.

Try a search of the word "rigid". You can compensate for a lack of blade rigidity by using a shim. If a shim helps, you'll know you need a more rigid design.

In the meantime, focus on technique and pay attention to your direction of growth while trying as many different kinds of blades as you can. Keep Try A Blade in mind.

Understanding your beard map and shaving accordingly can also make a difference.

Welcome to B&B.

Good advice above.

First, map the grain of your beard. When you have sufficient beard growth that you can feel, rub your fingers over your beard to determine which way is WTG and that should be your first pass. Next, keep in mind that DE shaving is a process whereby you reduce your beard by steps or passes. You are not going to get a perfect shave in one pass. Your first pass should be WTG (with the grain). After you do your WTG pass your second pass should be XTG (across the grain). I do two XTG passes in different directions. For example, on my cheeks my beard grows North to South. So my first pass is N to S. My second goes East to West and my third goes W to E. When you gain more experience your last pass can be ATG but the usual advice is to hold off on that for a while. In fact, many folks get a decent shave by doing WTG and XTG passes.

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. Look at the wiki for blade angle advice.

Some additional suggestions:

1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.
  2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.
  3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.
  4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an aftershave balm that is a good moisturizer.
  5. At night, before retiring apply a good quality moisturizer to your face.

FarmerTan

Welcome to B&B.

Good advice above.

First, map the grain of your beard. When you have sufficient beard growth that you can feel, rub your fingers over your beard to determine which way is WTG and that should be your first pass. Next, keep in mind that DE shaving is a process whereby you reduce your beard by steps or passes. You are not going to get a perfect shave in one pass. Your first pass should be WTG (with the grain). After you do your WTG pass your second pass should be XTG (across the grain). I do two XTG passes in different directions. For example, on my cheeks my beard grows North to South. So my first pass is N to S. My second goes East to West and my third goes W to E. When you gain more experience your last pass can be ATG but the usual advice is to hold off on that for a while. In fact, many folks get a decent shave by doing WTG and XTG passes.

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. Look at the wiki for blade angle advice.

Some additional suggestions:

1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.
  2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.
  3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.
  4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an aftershave balm that is a good moisturizer.
  5. At night, before retiring apply a good quality moisturizer to your face.
Might as well close this thread! Great advice, as per normal.

Try a scrub with some pre shave soap to soften raise hairs, smooth the gliding surface. A jawline is not easy be patient. If you want a variant the Parker is not a bad choice matches nice with platinums but a good prep and lather is more likely to solve it

Thanks for all the information, using DE is definitely different than cartridge razors, however, it’s a better shave overall. It’s great to know many of you on here are so full of knowledge & willing to help out everybody.

I’ll try to not shave a few days to learn the angle my facial hair grows. I’m sure once I figure that out it’ll make things a lot better. I’m also going to try shaving at night after a shower to see if that helps reduce the nicks & cuts on my jawline & neck area.

FarmerTan

Thanks for all the information, using DE is definitely different than cartridge razors, however, it’s a better shave overall. It’s great to know many of you on here are so full of knowledge & willing to help out everybody.

I’ll try to not shave a few days to learn the angle my facial hair grows. I’m sure once I figure that out it’ll make things a lot better. I’m also going to try shaving at night after a shower to see if that helps reduce the nicks & cuts on my jawline & neck area.
I shave at night 99 percent of the time. No rushing around for me that way!

All there is great advice, and I too have problem exactly on my jawline and just don't chase BBS there.
I accepted it as my trouble spot but for days when I chase BBS what really helps is MAPPING, that will help you to really hit whiskers with most otpimum angle of attack whn goin WT/XTG/ATG. And of course face stretching, for me helps best if I pull it up on my cheek.
But when you do stretch take EXTRA, and I do mean EXTRA care to angle and pressure. YMMW but skin on my cheeks can take a beating, and from jaw south is sensitive as F***, that means when I first did that I treated jaw skin as it would be cheek skin...I don't have to explain the results...I know it's stupid mistake but hey happens to the best of us

Many people have whorls (or cowlicks) on the neck. This makes it difficult to shave "with the grain". If you grow your beard out and take a few photos, you may see if you have trouble spots like these.

whorl1.jpg

I used to use the Gillette Fusion ProGlide for years, however,with the ridiculous prices I finally decided to switch to DE. For the past month I've been using the Parker 99R & most of the blades I've used (Astra Blue, Astra Green, Voskhod, Gillette Platinum, Shark, Derby) all do well on my face, but I'm getting irritation on my neck. It seems I get nicks and cuts around my jawline where my neck begins. I've been using Pacific Shaving Company products & haven't tried using a brush or shave soap yet. I've heard using a adjustable DE razor might help. I'm open to trying other techniques & products that might help fix my issues.
I feel your pain; I went from a DE dabbler for a few years to going all in before Christmas - and I find my neck (right side) is an absolute minefield. All the advice given above I'd agree with - I think the whirls etc are an issue for me. I bought a Muhle Rocca R94 and up until last night found it too agressive for that side of my neck, and sometimes I won't even do a second pass with it, I swap to the R106 which I got on the strength of an Executive Shaving instructional video. The R106 is much lighter and is a lot less punitive on my face.

I'd agree with holding off on getting too much new gear until you get a little more experienced (I've learned the hard way the past few months) but I've had a few breakthrough shaves over the past few weeks and I've realised that:
1. Light, light feather touch is the way to go. Even with being aware of this, I was STILL too heavy round my neck at times;
2. Plenty of lather and re-rather on the trouble spots..it's tempting to hack away when you're in a rush or get frustrated, or not rinse the blade or just use water - don't. Re-lather, take it slow, feel the area with your thumb and
3. If you feel any sort of undesired chafing or irritation, back off.

Following these three rules last night, I got 90% BBS, no irritation and only a couple of weepers which is good for me. I reckon I'm not too far ahead of you experience wise, so trust me when I say, slow and light and steady technique, you'll get to know your face a lot more as the weeks go by (with the mach 3's/proglides etc you can just whack away and it doesn't matter whether you know your face that well or not), be patient, and back off if you feel any discomfort. You will have the occasional breakthrough shave where the results will improve along with decreased irritation. I guess this is like anything else - practice makes perfect and learn from both good and bad sessions!

I've chased absolute BBS and turned my neck into a hot mess. It's not worth it. Defo invest in a really good after shave balm right out of the gate though - you'll have no shortage of recommendations on here but I got Acca Kappa Barbershop balm in a pump for Christmas and find it outstanding - easily the thickest formula I've had and really helps. I got an alum block recently too and as stated above that helps with the weepers and overall redness - although I read somewhere if you shave every day and have sensitive skin, you shouldn't use it every day?

On a final note, I have a really stubborn and awkward growth pattern under my chin - it seems to grow absolutely sideways. I'm still struggling to get it anywhere close to BBS with it, but as samhain666 says above, I've accepted this as a problem area and won't chase BBS there too much any more, although I will experiment a bit. (Although I did have a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 razor left over in my Dopp kit, whipped it out and it made short work of it - shhhhh!!!!!!)

Hope this helps a bit!

FarmerTan

Many people have whorls (or cowlicks) on the neck. This makes it difficult to shave "with the grain". If you grow your beard out and take a few photos, you may see if you have trouble spots like these.

View attachment 1057428
I have a very similar area in my beard. Out of curiosity, do you have more than one whorl in your scalp hair? The Cosmetologist is coming out of me!

View attachment 1057428
I have 2 in the neck and 2-3 scalp. I laugh when people say: map your beard....in these cases it is imposible.... at some point I was just shaving in an X pattern....over them.... Gillette Skin Guard seems to be less evil

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

View attachment 1057428

That looks like Hurricane Gillette!

I’m also going to try shaving at night after a shower to see if that helps reduce the nicks & cuts on my jawline & neck area.

For me, shaving after a shower made a huge difference. Night and day difference. It softens the beard wonderfully. If it works for you as it did for me, you'll never want to go back to the old way.

Top Bottom