What's new

Neck Chains?

Lady Zig thinks I should try some men's jewelry. Watches don't count :-(
I'm thinking something along the lines of a stainless steel neck chain. Are these still referred to as necklaces? Anyway...
Definitely not gold or silver, just because I don't want to invest a lot of money into something I might not wear often. I'd like something sturdy enough to not break easily, yet not strong enough that it could be used to pull me.
I'm not attaching anything to it, ie. no pendants, symbols, etc. Doesn't matter if it has clasps or is a pull-over.

Google tells me that the style I'm looking for is called Curb. Good to know?

What do you use, and what sounds like a good option? I'd love to see yours.

Last edited:
Do you want to wear jewelry? I understand the "happy wife - happy life" paradigm, but if you don't want it....?🤔

Mrs Black Adder seems to be only concerned about my wedding band, but jewelry can be a safety issue at your job. My coworker had to take me over to a vise to get me out of my wedding band that had been almost crushed flat... with my finger in it....

Do you want to wear jewelry? I understand the "happy wife - happy life" paradigm, but if you don't want it....?🤔

Mrs Black Adder seems to be only concerned about my wedding band, but jewelry can be a safety issue at your job. My coworker had to take me over to a vise to get me out of my wedding band that had been almost crushed flat... with my finger in it....
I never thought about wearing jewelry. I prefer my "accessories" to be functional, like a watch. I wouldn't be opposed to a neck chain, as long as it didn't look gaudy. I'm not a pimp or Mr. T.

I chose stainless steel because it's readily available, inexpensive, won't tarnish or leave stains, and looks better with my skin tone.

If I say no, it's not going to be a problem. I chose a neck chain over something like a ring or bracelet because I'm used to wearing dog tags.

Even if I end up just getting a cheap $15 neck chain, I want to know that I put thought into the purchase.

Last edited:
A ring is easy to wear, not obtrusive (unless you want it to be) and is something you might soon feel lost without. Stainless steel neck chains tend to be pretty strong, even thin ones like I wore in my much younger days.

I've worn a necklace as my only piece of jewelry for 30 years, until getting married and wearing a wedding ring. A 22-inch 14K gold s-chain that weighs 15 grams. Except for a hospital stay for surgery, it's been on my neck over 40 years. Until I got married, it was just the chain. The pendent is a gift from my wife, a dove she got for her First Communion. Not sized for the chain, perhaps, but for sentimental reasons, I don't care. It's not a fashion statement. When I'm dressed, it's pretty much hidden from view.
89938254-E4CD-477B-AF12-3E00E99875EE.jpeg

1A4A5B73-C1A4-4B0C-AB53-2E842816113F.jpeg

I think you need a very specific "style" to pull that look off, or else you end up looking like you're trying to be something you are not. I don't know what kind of watch you currently wear, but maybe think about upgrading that instead?
I thought about that.

My daily driver watches are a Casio Forester and G-Shock, both in black.
My "fancy" watch is a 35mm Timex Easy Reader with a brown leather strap.

I have been wearing a Mala bead necklace as a bracelet. I have picked up some metal, stone and pendent on black cord stuff from thrift stores. Metal can conduct electricity. I picked up the mala bead necklace for 8 bucks at a thrift store. I saw some cool earrings on a women and complemented her and she said she got them on Etsy. Enjoy your search.

I’m not big on jewelry but my daughter made me this “love bracelet” over the break. I wear it all the time.

My wedding ring usually stays at home in a drawer. I wore it regularly for the first few years but never found it very comfortable. I tend to only wear it when I’m out on the town and need a lady repellent.

F70E42B4-7FAA-45F5-8949-8C2624116A0E.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I wear anything around my neck, it needs to have a purpose, other than aesthetics. I have worn beads, or lather thong with some form of pendant on it in the past, but not any more.

For example, in summer, if pocket space is limited. I might have some handy tools round my neck. Torch, small multi tool, pen etc, but it will be worn under a shirt, and not for all to see.

20220116_074719.jpg 20220116_074738.jpg

The only other thing I might be wearing around my neck (other than scarf in winter, or tie at something formal), is a med alert pendant, with relevant details engraved on the reverse.

20220116_074753.jpg

So jewellery? No, not for me. I don't do "status symbols". Even when I was working with plenty of disposable income, I would never wear anything that says "my bank account is bigger than yours", and would also have very little time for others that did wear such stuff. Although I was glad when others did wear such items, as I instantly knew to go and talk to somebody else instead :biggrin1:

I was not going to write, because I do not think I have anything useful to say. But I would just say no to a neck chain, unless it has some sentimental, religious, or other such meaning or use to you.

I am not anti-men's jewelry. I wore a gold wedding ring for a long time. I have switched to a silicon one because it feels better, would tear away if it got caught on something, and is not a big loss if it gets lost. I like watches of lots of types, but these days wear a Galaxy smart watch, which I do not think can count as jewelry. I like cufflinks. I guess I could see wearing a manly bracelet of some sort if it made my wife happy. Lots of options for that around. I personally would keep it small. A mala bead one would have some spiritual significance to me, as a reminder to be mindful and calm, so I suppose that might work for me.

Leather necklace might be more acceptable to you. I see younger men wearing them around occasionally. I cannot personally stand the feeling of a necklace, but am not against men wearing them.

I've worn a necklace as my only piece of jewelry for 30 years, until getting married and wearing a wedding ring. A 22-inch 14K gold s-chain that weighs 15 grams. Except for a hospital stay for surgery, it's been on my neck over 40 years. Until I got married, it was just the chain. The pendent is a gift from my wife, a dove she got for her First Communion. Not sized for the chain, perhaps, but for sentimental reasons, I don't care. It's not a fashion statement. When I'm dressed, it's pretty much hidden from view.
View attachment 1393353
View attachment 1393354

I can't help it, you set me up too well.

So, there was this guy I used to work with and there was this joke he used to tell
about ideas associated with different types of birds.
What bird is associated with childbirth? The stork.
What bird is associated with wisdom? The owl.
What bird is associated with love? The dove.
True love? The swallow.

;)

Last edited:
I've decided against it. She understands, and I appreciate her opinion. I gave up wearing neck jewelry when I hung my dog tags up.
Good call.

Don't give up on upgrading your watch to class things up.

I wear a Suunto and G-Shock to work, but have a couple Diver watches for other times.

Last edited:
Leather necklace might be more acceptable to you. I see younger men wearing them around occasionally. I cannot personally stand the feeling of a necklace, but am not against men wearing them.
Interesting I had not noticed leather necklaces on men. Does not seem too bad. I was trying to think of instances where men wear necklaces. Religious items, of course. Dog tags--that is manly. When I was a pre-teen, surfers supposedly wore Maltese crosses. There was the pukka bead scare of, what, the late 60s, early 70s? Sort of a David Cassidy look, if I remember. I guess native Americans were necklaces of sorts. I guess hippies in the mid-60s wore peace symbols. Then disco guys. Then rappers. Those instances seem a little showy.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A favorite joke of one of my Italian friends: why do many Italian men wear necklaces?

So they know where to stop shaving.

Top Bottom