What's new

Neck area trouble... could a DE like Merkur Futur help?

I've got this weird situation around my neck... particularly where my throat meets the two thick muscles in front (what the heck are those called....).

Anyway... my hairs, all along my neck but especially there, grow very flat against the skin. They aren't curly, but they're very wiry and stiff, and always grow a couple of millimeters and start burrowing into my skin.

Also, the ones on the side of my throat in that spot grow "sideways" such that the grow towards the muscle ridges which makes it even easy to burrow in, and even hard to shave them.

I always have tremendous problems with Mach III and Fusion (what a joke) as shaving with the grain gets almost NONE of the hairs and across or against the grain hurts like the devil.:eek:

I tried a straight razor for a few months, but it's too big to get the angle there, and it hurt worse.

Do DE's tend to help with these situations (i.e., weird angles, tough, flat hairs, areas where you absolutely MUST shave against the grain to get anything with a normal razor)? I sure don't want to spen another huge wad of cash on a shaving solution that doesn't work for me (darn straight razor setups are EXPENSIVE).

Thanks in advance!

Welcom to B&B ,

I understand your point I have the same problems around the neck aswell
I always get a smooth shave now sometimes BabyButt Smooth so calls BBS
but then I have to be in shaving Zen.

Also you should try to touch up with shaving oil in the end to help the razor get those last bit of hairs...

It sounds like you could need a Merkur Slantbar for those hard to shave area's ?
Im no expert by all means and im sure some veteran of B&B has some more info for you .

For instance my neck is BBS with the grain but going against the grain with my hand I will still feel hair like lots of stubble feeling or vice versa depends on how the hair grows .

Example from my chin the my ears if I move with my fingers there it feels BBS
but when I use the fingers from my ear to my chin under the jaw line ill always have some stubble like hairs there , I will see if using a schick injector helps get rid of that as a final touch up with shaving oil.

good luck,

I can help you a very little bit here.

I can't help you get a better shave because I have the same problem and my only solution is to shave in each and every possible direction which still does only a passable shave and irritates the heck out of the area.

So how can I help you?...The muscle is called plastysma and it serves litle evolutionary purpose except to allow you to make facial expressions like pulling you lower lip and chin and chin down while protruding your lower jaw.

Marc

Welcome rjm (Do you have a name?). Welcome to B&B.

It is quite possible that a DE could do a better job for you, with practice. Before even going there, however, I will state that good beard prep is even more important. Can you elaborate on your routine? If you are not using a quality cream and brush, and softening your whiskers well, those will likely make more of a difference than a new razor.

SSLStudio,

It never really occurred to me to use shaving oil as a touch up for more difficult areas, like my neck, throat, and adam's apple... I have three kinds of shave oil that I've given up on... I hate the feeling of the grease on my face, and I don't find that it helps as a PREshave.

BUT- What a revoloutionary idea! I think I'm going to give that oil a shot when I shave later today, maybe after the third pass with brush & cream. Is this an idea that you've heard elsewhere or just divined yourself? Oil is probably a lot better for using a little pressure than a re-pass with lathered cream. (Incidentally, the three oils I have are Anthony (with calendula), Truefitt & Hill, and Nancy Boy.)

Scotto, you made me realize I may have been rude by not giving my name, for the casualness of relating to each other... I'm Ben- Nice to meet all of you!!!

I'll let you know how that shave-oil touch up goes on the neck. Thanks for the tip!

NYLaw said:
SSLStudio,

It never really occurred to me to use shaving oil as a touch up for more difficult areas, like my neck, throat, and adam's apple... I have three kinds of shave oil that I've given up on... I hate the feeling of the grease on my face, and I don't find that it helps as a PREshave.

BUT- What a revoloutionary idea! I think I'm going to give that oil a shot when I shave later today, maybe after the third pass with brush & cream. Is this an idea that you've heard elsewhere or just divined yourself? Oil is probably a lot better for using a little pressure than a re-pass with lathered cream. (Incidentally, the three oils I have are Anthony (with calendula), Truefitt & Hill, and Nancy Boy.)

Scotto, you made me realize I may have been rude by not giving my name, for the casualness of relating to each other... I'm Ben- Nice to meet all of you!!!

I'll let you know how that shave-oil touch up goes on the neck. Thanks for the tip!
Hi Ben,
Before someone else says it, TRY PSO, IT'S REALLY GREAT! (rah!) (DISCLAIMER: I've never used it and personally have no use for any shaving oil.) One issue it seems though, we always assume that gents are getting good lubricating lather. Quite often we find that, the truth be known, these gents have been serving themselves a thin, cold gruel at the tips of their bruishes. I always lather and slather my neck with especially rich lather.

RJM,
I had similar problems which brought me to the realm of wetshaving with the DE. I suffered terrible irritation on the neck and could neither shave across or against the grain. I started using the merkur hd about 6 weeks and am now at the point where I can shave with, across, and across/against at a diagonal without any irritation.
In regards to the muscle which is giving you fits, I doubt that it the platysma muscle as it is a very thin muscle that runs over the entire neck up to the lower face. It doesn't have much function for either of us, but many animals use it...ex/ horses use it to shake of flies and bugs...yes I'm from Oklahoma.
I would bet you are referring to the sternocleidomastoid (SCM) that originates from the sternum (or breast bone) and the clavicle (collar bone) and inserts on the mastoid bone behind the ear. It functions to assist in turning your head from side to side. Okay, enough anatomy for the day.
I too have occasional trouble getting over and around the scm while shaving, but by taking your time you can avoid the irriation.
Summary, try a de like a gillette superspeed or merkur hd. Figure out which blade gives you the least irritation (feather's for me), and give it some time. Start with all with the grain passes and eventually incorporate across the grain passes. Personally, my goal isn't a daily bbs shave so I rarely go purely against, mostly against at a diagonal as above. Hope this helps and wasn't too long a read

NYLaw said:
SSLStudio,

Hi there,

I cant take credit for that, it was an idea from Obsessis or Joseph if you wanna go by names.
He send me a big Shaving sample pack and in it was a bottle of PSO Oil ...
Pacific Shaving Oil use a bit more of it then a few drops and its not oily at all on your face I have a different oil called Mr Clean Cut's shaving oil and yes that one is very oily and can even clog up your razor , I dont use it as a pure only shaving oil like the factory wants the believe you no I use it to touch up and then no always depends if im very comfortable with a good lather whip up then ill stick to the lather... I have some more shaving oil comming on the way. sometimes the oil is so expensive you can also use it as an extra moisturiser for your face after the shave !

Scotto said:
Welcome rjm (Do you have a name?).

I will state that good beard prep is even more important...

Hello... "R. J." is my common name (the "rj" in the "rjm" :001_smile ).

So, on the prep note... Well, it's always after I shower. I've been using various things, most recently I'd been using Jack Black shave lotion with some sort of creme on top (because I find the Jack Black isn't thick enough to cushion the blade with a straight razor... it's slippery, but not quite enough for me). I have a badger that I've been applying Col. Conk glycerin lather.

But I'll say that in the past week, I've given up on the Col. Conk because I don't find it thick enough, and it "dissolves" within minutes of putting it on my face. I can barely get a decent lather worked up in the mug with it. I had some other stuff that I took from my father because he was alergic to it. He didn't remember the brand, and the name was obscurred. But it worked much better than the Conk.

Anyway... So, JB, I let it sit for a minute or two while I work up lather, then lather on top. In the past week, I went back to can foaming gel (ick). But, it's "ok".

Maybe I'll try a Murkur HD and go with a Futur or Vision if I like it.

I had stubborn problem areas on my neck that just refused to submit to the razor. On my adam's apple (which is a bad spot for just about everyone) and directly to the right of the adam's apple on the side of my neck. I would razorburn the hell out of myself going over and over the same spot on a low setting (I generally dial my adjustable DE down low on my neck and crank it up on my face, since the neck is more sensitive), but for this one spot...I cranked the razor up to a high setting and did 1 North to South pass and it got that trouble spot completely smooth and no damage to the skin.

If you are interested in the Futur at all, I'd say just go ahead and get one. IMO it looks more intimidating than it really is, yet it removes more hair per pass than any other DE I have used, ESPECIALLY on the neck. Of course we are all different and YMMV, but the Futur and I are a perfect fit.

If you do decide to get a DE razor, don't expect great shaves right off the bat. It does take getting used to, so get ready for a few nicks here and there and some razorburn while you perfect your technique. Proper angle is very important, and that just takes practice to get it right for your face.

Well, as an update to my saga, I went ahead and ordered a Merkur Futur and received it yesterday. I shaved with it for the first time this morning and HOLY COW! This thing shaves like a dream! I'm so friggin' happy, probably more happy than I should be about a thing like shaving... but if you're on this forum at all, you can probably relate ;). This is one of the first times in quite a while that something I purchased, that was important to me, actually exceeded my expectations.

I only used settings 1-2 so far, and while not 100% BBS just yet, I have absolutely ZERO irritation... a first EVER for me. To even be able to approach BBS without pain, for me, is a huge milestone. Visibly, I look completely clean-shaven. This is just super.

This thing is hefty, but I find that the heft kept me from going too fast and getting stupid with it. Perfectly clean glide every where... I find it interesting how the shape of the head and satin finish contribute to the feeling. And I love that I can totally tweak the cutting angle to match the contour of the specific spot I'm shaving. I slid right over the worst part of my neck without a twinge and only had to take a second pass to get the rest of it. Not even a snowball's chance in a firepit for that to occur with a Mach 3 or fusion on my throat (and I couldn't get the right angle with a straight razor, even if I could kept it sharp).

Throw in the fact that I no longer have to pay $20 every 3-4 weeks for inferior catridges, and you can count me a happy clam.

Long live the DE! Long live Merkur!

Congrats to you, rjm. It sounds like you have found the perfect razor for you (at least for now :biggrin: ).

Top Bottom