What's new

Neck and under chin area...

So I'm coming along pretty well with my DE shaves, however I never seem to get close enough under the chin and on the neck. Any tips or methods you find useful? I've tried rewetting and relathering that area and giving it a second pass, as well as pulling the skin a bit in the the direction I'm shaving, ATG toward my chin.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance all.

Bill

Are you doing more than two passes? Three seems to be the norm. Try across the grain and eventually against the grain when your skin is very used to the DE.

Check out the Mantic59 videos on youtube if you haven't already. I do some blade buffing after my third pass on the neck area and it smooths out those rough patches.

It's the toughest part for me too. Has some of the heaviest growth but is simultaneously the most sensitive. And of course it's the hardest area to get the skin taut. Three passes is definitely called for if I want to get it smooth. Short short strokes especially on E/W pass because you must maintain good blade angle or scrape the hell out of yourself and there are no "level" stretches under there. You might want to try lathering half or 1/3 the area at a time. That makes it easier to pull the skin taut from the adjoining non slippery areas.

When I shave I do three passes: WTG, XTG, and ATG plus touch-ups in the chin and neck area. For touch-ups along the chin line I do blade-buffing. For touch-ups in the neck area I do j-hooking.

S

stubble trouble

hey Bill

I've got a problem area, too. Give it time is what I'm told. I've definitely improved on the chin area using the buffing technique (just watch pressure and make sure your lather is nice and hydrated). Sooner or later, it'll come together. Best of luck,and enjoy your progress!

I think on your neck two things are critical...knowing the direction of hair growth and watching your blade angle. Hair on the neck tends to grow in several different directions, so you really need to figure out the best way to shave each small area, then just do WTG, XTG, ATG as usual.

Also, I find that I need to pay a little more attention to blade angle on my neck because of all the curves and changes.

Good luck!

Sometimes I'll split the difference between ATG and XTG. That seems to work well. I've also started experimenting by moving the razor at a 45 degree angle--I line the razor up as normal, but slide it at an angle. I think it is a similar effect to a slant.

2 pass and then j-hooking the touchup on my neck and chin, buffing for touchup on jawline and cheeks.

Have a few interesting spots on my neck where it changes direction by 30-40 degrees.

I think on your neck two things are critical...knowing the direction of hair growth and watching your blade angle. Hair on the neck tends to grow in several different directions, so you really need to figure out the best way to shave each small area, then just do WTG, XTG, ATG as usual.

Also, I find that I need to pay a little more attention to blade angle on my neck because of all the curves and changes.

Good luck!

I discovered the blade angle issue last week. One Hit Wonder is correct, because of the curves on your neck maintaining blade angle is essential.

S

stubble trouble

great advice fellas. Gonna try doing entire neck / under chin area first x three passes. Then, face x three passes. Also gonna focus on getting the skin taught / flat as possible. BTW, any good videos on "j hooking"

Thanks much gents! Video watching will be in my future before another shave. Really appreciate all the great advice!

Hi
I also had a problem in this area, under chin and jaw line.
It finally dawned on me personally where I was going wrong.

I used a mirror that I had to look down on in my normal line of sight.
Consequently when shaving under the chin area my head was pointing down. When I watch all the videos I notice they all look up which has the effect of streching the skin naturally.
So I started to use th mirror on the wall behind me when shaving under the chin which causes me to look up, thus naturally streching the skin and giving me the smooth shave.
I find doing it this way gives me a bbs shave under the chin area without having to strech my skin manually and not ending up with razor burn.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Top Bottom