What's new

Neat container for soap pucks

I bought a C&E West Indian lime soap puck the other day and was hunting around the house for something to store it in. Stuck to the side of the fridge I spotted these Ikea Spice containers (never used, just magnetised to the side gathering dust!) I cleaned them up and found it was a perfect fit!! They are stainless steel come with a clear screw on polycarbonate lid (I cut the C&E box up and glued it on the lid) They do have a magnet on the bottom that is slightly recessed, I don't plan on sticking it to anything & I imagine you could pluck it out with a screwdriver or something similar, or just leave it. Just thought I'd share, as these are not that expensive and look quite classy (IMHO)

View attachment 314718 $photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg

Looks great - very like the Mike's Natural packaging, which I really like (low profile, very stackable, very functional)

How do you like the C&E west indian lime? I wanted so much to take it home but the lime scent was too faint for me. Does it get stronger when lathered up? I ended up picking up a Sienna and Nomad. I love the Sienna.

How do you like the C&E west indian lime? I wanted so much to take it home but the lime scent was too faint for me. Does it get stronger when lathered up? I ended up picking up a Sienna and Nomad. I love the Sienna.

To be fair, I've only used it once and I really struggled to get a good lather from it, I was using a silvertip and I know my water is quite hard, but I've never had problems with other soaps, I might get at it again with filtered water and a pure badger brush and see how I go.

From a scent point of view, yes it's quite light, the lime is there, but also I smell a lot of ginger - it's pleasant enough, but I will enjoy it more if I get a nice creamy lather.

Ha. Just pick up a set today. The "tins" are stainless and they're 3 for $4.99 (or maybe $3.99.). Hopefully a mwf puck fits nicely.

I have a noob question for the people with many pucks of soaps in these tins.

How do you use these tins? I assume you load the brush up on the soap puck and then build a lather in a bowl? At least this is what I do with my Proraso croap in a tub.

If this is the case - after you build the lather in these tins, for example, I assume the puck would be soapy and a little wet. What do you do next? Do you just cap it? Let it dry first? Rinse it off and then let it dry?

This has been perplexing me for a little bit and may be hindering my entree into more soap pucks.

Depending on the soap and your technique, you may be able to load the brush from the tin and then face lather. That's what I do with my Col Conk soap travel container.

I would like to find something slightly taller that allows a little space above the rim to build lather, sort of like a shallow mug.

Anyway, although I don't usually face lather, I'm getting pretty good at it when traveling.

How do you use these tins? I assume you load the brush up on the soap puck and then build a lather in a bowl? At least this is what I do with my Proraso croap in a tub.

If this is the case - after you build the lather in these tins, for example, I assume the puck would be soapy and a little wet. What do you do next? Do you just cap it? Let it dry first? Rinse it off and then let it dry?

This has been perplexing me for a little bit and may be hindering my entree into more soap pucks.
i've been loading soap on a less wet boar brush and building lather in a separate container. Face lathering isn't my cup of tea. I don't use a soaking brush as I tend to get a lot of lather coming over the edges of the container. i have two ceramic and two plastic soap containers and just cover or close them and don't find any negative consequences. But i've also read that leaving the top off to dry the soap doesn't have downside either. i suspect the fat in the soap seals the fragrance in fairly well.

Ha. Just pick up a set today. The "tins" are stainless and they're 3 for $4.99 (or maybe $3.99.). Hopefully a mwf puck fits nicely.

A MWF soap refill should fit nicely! The C&E was a smidgen too big, but I ran the tin under hot water and I guess it expanded a little and then the puck dropped straight in. If a puck is too big, just grate the edges until it fits, press the shavings into the tin first, so not to waste any.

Yep, that's pretty much what I do, after loading the brush, I wipe as much residue off the tin with the brush, then just lather in a bowl or straight to the face. After a shave in the clean up stage I wipe the tin down with a damp face cloth, but any bubbles/foam etc (which is not much) on the soap or around the edges between tin and puck, I just leave, they evaporate. If your soap is still a little warm and wet the lid may form condensation inside, I usually leave the lid off for 10 mins or so until the soap puck is a little drier and cooler.

A MWF soap refill should fit nicely! The C&E was a smidgen too big, but I ran the tin under hot water and I guess it expanded a little and then the puck dropped straight in. If a puck is too big, just grate the edges until it fits, press the shavings into the tin first, so not to waste any.
Excellent. I placed the order tonight.

Top Bottom