What's new

Nearly 3 months on. What I have learned from DE shaving.

Good afternoon to you all again.

Its been nearly 3 months since I have started using a DE razor (first my Beautytrack now my 39c Sledgehammer razor).

This is the fundamental aspect I have learned. You DON'T need 3 or 5 blades to get a close shave. With my 39c Sledgehammer razor I get really impressive close shaves from just ONE blade. And because that single blade is so sharp, the razor SLICES off the hair instead of PULLING it.

I have done a direct comparison of 3 and 5 blade razors against my single blade 39c. And my 39c wins every time. Plus the blades are so much cheaper and much easier to recycle.

Jason.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I agree with your comparison but you are a braver man than I am. I am still scarred to shave with a single-blade razor where I can't see the edge on my skin.

I'm really glad you're enjoying it as much as I am. I'm with you. I get way better shaves now than I ever did with cartridges. I've turned something I used to thoroughly dislike into an enjoyable hobby. That doesn't happen very often. I've also met some really nice people along the way which was unexpected. All good things!

I'm really glad you're enjoying it as much as I am. I'm with you. I get way better shaves now than I ever did with cartridges. I've turned something I used to thoroughly dislike into an enjoyable hobby. That doesn't happen very often. I've also met some really nice people along the way which was unexpected. All good things!
My story exactly. Gone from reluctantly shaving once per week to shaving every other day and got rid of constant ingrown hairs and neck iritation

Good for you in acquiring the DE habit. Do you think you'll be stepping up to a straight razor?
Unfortunately not, because my wife refuses to let me have one. I was watching a video on YouTube someone having a cut-throat razor shave. My wife glanced at my screen and the video scared her totally senseless when she saw the razor being used on the neck.

She even thinks my 39c Sledgehammer is a weapon compared to a standard Gillette Mach 3!! 🤣

Jason.

Most important thing is to enjoy and have fun. Since switching to DE shaving over a decade ago, I actually look forward to shaving. Used to hate it before I saw the light. Glad you have found a razor you like and are getting good results.

Glad you have found a razor you like and are getting good results.
Thanks for that. Having only one safety razor (the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer) means that things are kept consistent when comparing blades and soaps/creams.

While I'm at it on this thread I think I'll update my top 5 blade preference list in descending order:

1) Gillette Nacet
2) Silver Star
3) Wilkinson Sword
4) Gillette Perma-sharp
5) Gillette King C.

Still got several other brands which I haven't tried yet. If I find a new brand I really like the list will be updated accordingly.

The blades which are now made redundant (which I won't use again) are Bic Chrome, Voskhod, Merkur and Treet. Still a question mark over Feather. I really want to like that blade so I'll give it a few more goes before making a conclusion.

Please note that with the redundant blades, I don't have any left as they have all been used up to avoid waste.

Jason.

I was wondering how people felt about the King C Gillette. My 20 got King C Gillette and I asked him about the razor blades. He said they’re ok.

Thanks for that. Having only one safety razor (the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer) means that things are kept consistent when comparing blades and soaps/creams.

While I'm at it on this thread I think I'll update my top 5 blade preference list in descending order:

1) Gillette Nacet
2) Silver Star
3) Wilkinson Sword
4) Gillette Perma-sharp
5) Gillette King C.

Still got several other brands which I haven't tried yet. If I find a new brand I really like the list will be updated accordingly.

The blades which are now made redundant (which I won't use again) are Bic Chrome, Voskhod, Merkur and Treet. Still a question mark over Feather. I really want to like that blade so I'll give it a few more goes before making a conclusion.

Please note that with the redundant blades, I don't have any left as they have all been used up to avoid waste.

Jason.
Good list of blades....I like all of those, though I've never tried the King C.

You may want to add 7'oclock black super platinum, Astra, Bolzano, and Lord Platinum to your try list if you haven't already....all great performers.

Unfortunately not, because my wife refuses to let me have one. I was watching a video on YouTube someone having a cut-throat razor shave. My wife glanced at my screen and the video scared her totally senseless when she saw the razor being used on the neck.

She even thinks my 39c Sledgehammer is a weapon compared to a standard Gillette Mach 3!! 🤣

Jason.
Hehe... well, you should let her watch this one:

Top Bottom