What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Near Wedge = 1/4 Hollow Grind?

Is a "near wedge" the same thing as a "quarter hollow" grind? Or is this one of those things some people will say yes and others no?

To me there is a distinct difference between the two. A near wedge looks like a triangle where two of the edge are slightly concave. But essentially you can see the thickness of the blade decreasing all the way to the edge. A 1/4 hollow as a much smaller radius on the faces and comes to the thinnest point somewhere just before the edge. In other words a 1/4 hollow will have a short section before the edge that seems uniformly thin. In contrast on a 1/2 hollow the point where the edge reaches minimum thickness will be about 1/3 to 1/2 way back from the edge towards the spine.

I put some photos below. In order, wedge, near wedge, 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, full hollow. This is my view, others may disagree. I will say it is really hard to get a good photo of a full hollow head on.

433E4DE9-A79A-48D0-8E62-11015754E46F.jpeg E2BF800F-AB7D-4D08-BDC8-BE222D02DC31.jpeg 9F8A2EC5-5D64-40D3-BB06-BC2CD1B266E5.jpeg F0BAE386-8843-49A0-ACD5-5204FE712774.jpeg C9CB4A67-1A6B-464F-A112-F07DD21BDE9D.jpeg

The difference between a wedge and a near-wedge is only material when you hone it. A wedge is hell. A near-wedge is still hell, but a much lesser hell. The feeling on the skin while shaving is not different in my experience.
but there may be a weight/mass difference between a near wedge and 1/4 hollow that does lend a bit of a difference in face feel. it does me, negligable as it may be. it also helps to compare the same sizes against each other.

If you can be happy with a 1/4 hollow, they'll likely be cheaper than a comparably sized near wedge in a similar condition. I prefer 1/4s, but I don't have the thickest, heaviest beard.

but there may be a weight/mass difference between a near wedge and 1/4 hollow that does lend a bit of a difference in face feel.
Agreed, the feel is different between 1/4 and wedge/near-wedge. My comment earlier was that wedge and near-wedge do feel the same to each other however.

The best, most intuitive explanation of the different grinds that I have seen was from @bluesman 7:

In theory we could talk about 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, ..., but my old eyes have trouble seeing differences finer than full, 1/2, 1/4 and wedge, so I have just been lumping 1/4 and near wedge together. But I can definitely see the argument that for a near wedge less than 1/4 of the span has been removed.

Full or True Wedge has no hollow at all. Some might even be convex.
Grinds with a shred of concavity, those showing a hint of daylight on a straightedge, some will call that a 'wedge' and others might call it a 'near wedge'. I might say it's a 'wedgy' grind.
1/4 hollow has a lot more 'scoop' in the hollow, not really wedgy.
If I was pressed to draw a line in the sand, I'd say 1/8 hollow or less could be 'near wedge'.
But then someone will say only 1/16 hollow or less is a 'near wedge'.

I feel like most of my near wedges had a softer feel than my 1/4s.
I have noticed this as well. I think it might have to do with the era their were made which favored softer metals. Also, all the wedges/near-wedge I have are French. I have seen British ones too, but I've never seen a Swedish, German or Japanese one.

Top Bottom