What's new

NC Barbeque!

There is a litlte mom and pop place outside of Spencer if your out that way. I wish I could remember the name as I am sure "a little mom and pop place" isn't helping you out much...

Hog Heaven closed back several years ago. However, they did have excellent Lexington style (vinegar based - Eastern NC Style) barbecue!

Old Hickory House is the epitome example of Carolina style (Western NC - tomato based) barbecue and nothing like Memphis (Dry Rubbed) or Georgia style (Vinegar based).

Thanks Tim, I'll update my my list. Time for another trip south.

Tom

I think you should grill a tri-tip this weekend and post pictures!!:biggrin1:

Here you go! My farewell California barbecue.

Tritip on the smoker:

proxy.php

I barely remembered to take a picture before it all disappeared. Tri tip on a crusty roll with grilled peppers and onions! :drool::drool:

proxy.php

Well Gents,

Just got back to San Diego last night after about 2 weeks in North and South Carolina. Unfortunately it was turned out to be pretty much all work and very little play. I did get to Outlaw BBQ and it was outstanding. I am headed back to SC next week for a couple more weeks so I am hoping I get to try a few more places.

So far, the new job is going well and I think I am going to like living in SC once I get the family all settled.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Well Gents,

Just got back to San Diego last night after about 2 weeks in North and South Carolina. Unfortunately it was turned out to be pretty much all work and very little play. I did get to Outlaw BBQ and it was outstanding. I am headed back to SC next week for a couple more weeks so I am hoping I get to try a few more places.

So far, the new job is going well and I think I am going to like living in SC once I get the family all settled.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Excellent John! I see you made it over to Matthews. Outlaw BBQ is a small Hole-In-The-Wall Carry Out Only BBQ place, but it sure is good! I've been jumping over to Gaston County to check out fish camps for the past two weeks. I went to Catfish Cove the first week and Twin Tops Fish Camp last weekend. Twin Tops was the better of the two so far. It was about as good as Riverview Inn and about the same price. I might hit Dotson's tomorrow. I'm glad to hear the job is going well, and I look forward to more of your impressions of this area.

Thanks Tim. I can't wait to try some of the other places. It is a beautiful area. I just didn't realize so many things were closed on Sunday. Kind of limits the number of places I can get to in a short time.

I'll let you know what else I try. Headed back next week.

Well I'm back in the Queen City and I just tried the Old Hickory House. I could tell it was going to be good when I pulled up. Smoke coming out the top and just enough of a run down look to know it's been around for a long time.

The Brunswick Stew was excellent. Smoky and spicy. I got a pulled pork sandwich with slaw on it and a side of hush puppies. If I compare it to Outlaw BBQ that I went to last week, I'd say the pulled pork at Outlaw was better but the slaw at Old Hickory House was better. The Hickory House pork was real good but not as smokey as Outlaw, which is how I like it. The hushpuppies were great.

Unfortunately, I got there early in the day so they didn't have any ribs ready. The spare ribs at Outlaw were fantastic so I was hoping to compare, but it wasn't to be today. Oh well, just an excuse to go back another time. :biggrin1:

Tomorrow I'm off to Mac's Speed Shop. Can't wait to try Price's Chicken Coop for some fried chicken and then one of the fish camps another time.

I also heard that Courtney's in Clover, SC has good BBQ and I still haven't ventured out to Lexington. I'm also going to hook up with rickboone1 one of these days down in Columbia to hit Maurice's and another local place Rick said was good.

And I thought I was going to lose some weight while I was away from the family.:scared:

John, I'm glad you found the Brunswick Stew at Hickory House to be excellent. I'll sometimes go there just to have that and and garlic bread. I've tried a few times to create that brunswick stew at home to no avail.

Let us know your thoughts on Mac's Speed Shop. If you get the Mac Daddy, I hope you take a wheelbarrow; you'll be so full, you have to be carried out! :lol: But, man is it GOOD!!! :thumbup:

If you would like to hook up to hit the fish camps, let me know. I've been revisiting several in Gaston County over the past month. Hey, you started this thread asking about food around here. Losing weight was a futile effort! :w00t::laugh:

John, I'm glad you found the Brunswick Stew at Hickory House to be excellent. I'll sometimes go there just to have that and and garlic bread. I've tried a few times to create that brunswick stew at home to no avail.

Let us know your thoughts on Mac's Speed Shop. If you get the Mac Daddy, I hope you take a wheelbarrow; you'll be so full, you have to be carried out! :lol: But, man is it GOOD!!! :thumbup:

If you would like to hook up to hit the fish camps, let me know. I've been revisiting several in Gaston County over the past month. Hey, you started this thread asking about food around here. Losing weight was a futile effort! :w00t::laugh:

Hey Tim,

Unfortunately I didn't get to Mac's today but I think I am going to hit it tomorrow. Any interest in hitting a fish camp next weekend? Let me know.

Yeah, my own fault for asking about barbecue and then thinking I could lose some weight.:lol::lol:

Oh well, I'll sweat it off during the summer heat! You know us San Diego guys think anything over 72 degrees is hot. :w00t:

Well, after PM'ing back and forth to set it up, John and I are off to Riverview Inn to feast on some good ole' southern, vein clogging, early death, deep fried seafood! Salt 'N' Pepper catfish, perch, flounder, shrimp in several varieties, clam strips, deviled crab, hush puppies, french fries, cole slaw.....

YUMMMMMMMMMM!!! :yesnod::drool::thumbup1:

Tim and I had a great meal at the Riverview and some nice conversation about shaving (what else?) and the area. Any of you other Charlotte area folks want to connect, I'll be on the BBQ trail for awhile. :lol::lol:

Thanks again, Tim. That was awesome!

John, the privilege was all mine. Good food and great conversation. My first meeting with a fellow B&B Member, and a very interesting gentleman at that!

Any of you Carolina Members close enough to Charlotte should take this opportunity to meet John. His family is still in San Diego for another 6-8 weeks while relocating; he's living out of a suitcase in a hotel and desperately needs as many of us as possible to get him in trouble before they get here! :w00t::laugh::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously guys, you couldn't ask to meet a nicer fellow with a great shave!

Thanks for the dinner, John.

Kind words, Tim. Thank you!

I hit another BBQ spot for lunch yesterday. BBQ 521 in Fort Mill. Not bad, but not in the same league as Old Hickory House and Outlaw BBQ.

The next few on the list are Mac's Speed Shop, Fort Mill BBQ Company and Courtney's out in Clover. :drool:

In Lexington, I'd recommend Speedy's. Total dive, cheap as hell, order from the "lean pot" (note the lean pot is not on the menu). Be awed at how overweight everyone is. Order a $3 hush puppy side and get over a pound of them. You get the idea.

Sounds good, Neurotopia. I've definitely been wanting to do a trip to Lexington. I'm going to have to fast for a couple days before hand so I can hit 2-3 places when I go. :w00t:

Finally tried Mac's Speed Shop today. They have a great beer menu. As far as the BBQ goes, Brunswick stew was good but not great, the pulled pork was kind of bland and the ribs were pretty bad. They left them on the grill too long to carmelize the BBQ sauce and it was burnt. They were voted best in Charlotte, so I'll give them another shot sometime. Maybe I caught them on a bad day.

So far, Outlaw BBQ is the reigning champ in my book.

Top Bottom