What's new

NC Barbeque!

I'm going to be staying in the Charlotte, NC area for a couple weeks. I am a huge barbecue fan. I was planning on heading out to Lexington to get some 'cue. Anybody recommend a good place? Anything in Lexington or the general area, as well as the Charlotte area would be great.

I'm also going to be in the Ft. Mill, SC area (about 30 minutes south of Charlotte), so I'd love to try some good barbecue there, too. I used to live in NC, so I'm a familiar with both styles of barbecue there. I haven't tried the SC mustard style sauces yet, but figured I'd give it a try. Although I'm a little scared. :scared:

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to be staying in the Charlotte, NC area for a couple weeks. I am a huge barbecue fan. I was planning on heading out to Lexington to get some 'cue. Anybody recommend a good place? Anything in Lexington or the general area, as well as the Charlotte area would be great.

I'm also going to be in the Ft. Mill, SC area (about 30 minutes south of Charlotte), so I'd love to try some good barbecue there, too. I used to live in NC, so I'm a familiar with both styles of barbecue there. I haven't tried the SC mustard style sauces yet, but figured I'd give it a try. Although I'm a little scared. :scared:

Thanks for the help.

That's a little too far west for me, but I hope you find some good places. Don't fear the mustard sauce either--it's all good.

I feel ashamed. I have lived in the Charlotte area for 11 years and do not know of any barbecue places :blush:

Enjoy your stay. To answer the inevitable shaving question: head on over to South Park mall.

Can't help you with the Charlotte area, but if you're near Raleigh you need to try The Pit. Ed Mitchell, the owner, won a throwdown competition against Bobby Flay on one of his shows. My neighbor is a chef and restaurant consultant and he recommends it to people from out of town.

While in Charlotte, you definitely need to try:

Old Hickory House
6538 N Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28213
(704) 596-8014

Map

Hickory House has been in business for over 50 years and still owned by the same family. You'll love the rustic, old style dining room as well as the food. Absolutely do not leave there without trying the Brunswick Stew! If you have to choose one place, this is it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another good place is:

Mac's Speed Shop
2511 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28203
(704) 522-6227
Website

Map

Mac's is well known for serving the largest BBQ Sandwich in town, The Mac Daddy. It's sloppy good! They're also known for their green bean casserole.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the east side of Charlotte in a small town called Matthews, here's another one:

Outlaw BBQ Shack
131 E John St
Matthews, NC 28105
(704) 846-1919

Map

Outlaw's is carryout only, but they do have a few picnic tables outside, and Matthews is a great little small town. The owners are a husband and wife team who were formerly lawyers! Now, they get invited to set up at the Super Bowl every year! The barbeque is that good!

Hey Gents, thanks for the help.

Nid Hog, my sister lives in Jacksonville. I won't be heading that way this trip, but I'm actually moving to the Charlotte area over the next couple months. When I head out to visit her, I'll hit you up for some suggestions for barbecue in the eastern part of the state.

mretzloff, Dude!!! 11 years and no barbecue?:001_tt2: Thanks for the tip on the mall, I'll be sure to check it out.

MoJoe, I actually used to live right outside of Raleigh but I never made it to the Pit. I have some friends that still live in that area and I will be visiting in the next several months. The Pit is on the list to try. Not necessarily barbecue, but I used to love going to Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill. Probably the best Shrimp and Grits I've ever eaten.

TimMechEngr, thank you for the suggestions! I'll try and hit all of them this trip. That's exactly what I was looking for.

mretzloff, Dude!!! 11 years and no barbecue?:001_tt2: Thanks for the tip on the mall, I'll be sure to check it out.

I know, I know...I will check out some of the places Tim posted.

EDIT: John, just as a heads up: the street names in Charlotte and the Charlotte area change a lot. The street the last place Tim posted is located on (East John Street) changes names so many times, it is not even funny. If you do not have a GPS, this is something to note when printing out directions and stuff.

Last edited:
If you get some free time, shoot me an email and I will come up. I'm always down for some barbecue. Trying to think of some places there. I didn't spend a ton of time in Charlotte.

I am glad your mind is in the right place when it comes to your visit..... you can't beat NC BBQ and Lexington is BBQ at its finest. My wife always gets mad because I try to eat at two restaurants everytime I pass through so I can sample the most.... haha

I am about an hour west of Charlotte. PM me when you are in the area.

I know, I know...I will check out some of the places Tim posted.

EDIT: John, just as a heads up: the street names in Charlotte and the Charlotte area change a lot. The street the last place Tim posted is located on (East John Street) changes names so many times, it is not even funny. If you do not have a GPS, this is something to note when printing out directions and stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll bring my GPS, save myself some headaches.

If you get some free time, shoot me an email and I will come up. I'm always down for some barbecue. Trying to think of some places there. I didn't spend a ton of time in Charlotte.

Sounds good. I'll drop you a line and we can try some places out.

I am glad your mind is in the right place when it comes to your visit..... you can't beat NC BBQ and Lexington is BBQ at its finest. My wife always gets mad because I try to eat at two restaurants everytime I pass through so I can sample the most.... haha

I am about an hour west of Charlotte. PM me when you are in the area.

Will do.

I'd recommend either Lexington BBQ (yep, that's what it's called) or Smiley's. I'm partial to Lexington, though.

+1

It's a concrete block building with a sign that reads "Lexington BBQ". Drive to Lexington. Ask anyone. Don't miss that experience. Lexington is not too far from Charlotte, anyway.

DavyRay

+1

It's a concrete block building with a sign that reads "Lexington BBQ". Drive to Lexington. Ask anyone. Don't miss that experience. Lexington is not too far from Charlotte, anyway.

DavyRay

Definitely, I've always wanted to go to Lexington. Can't wait.

Rickboone1, Lexington is about 55 miles NorthEast of Charlotte. Looks like it is right on 85. It is the home of western NC style BBQ.

Top Bottom