What's new

Navigating the sea of Gillette 7 O'clock bades

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I grabbed a quick pack of black ones at Pasteur's yesterday. I must say, my initial impression is quite favorable.

So what's the deal with the 800 different varieties of these? Which are the keepers, and which are the clunkers?

I like the Indian black blades about the best. Followed by the Russian factory blue box then the yellow box.

They are all acceptable blades and the difference is very subtle so more academic than factual. I don't think I could quantitatively say one is better than the other.

I doubt I could tell one from the other in a blind test.

My current favorites are the Indian blacks, barely edging out the Russian yellows. I have tried only one Russian green, and I found it to be quite good as well. Not a fan of the Russian blues, as I have binned several of them either during or immediately after the first shave. Many folks claim to like them, so maybe I got a bad batch.

Blacks are top shelf! Then Blues. Then Indian Greens, in a work-horse kind of way. I haven't tried the Russian Greens, but I found the Yellows a bit uncomfortable and ineffective in the HD and haven't revisited them (except once in a Blue Tip, but I hate that razor).

I love both the yellows and blacks in just about any razor I have, both are sharp and smooth for me. I have a pack of blues sitting here that I'll have to give a whirl soon to see how they work, never tried the greens though.

The Russian Blues and India Black are tops for me. The Russian Yellow SharpEdge are also nice.

proxy.php

I recently bought some of the old Czech made Blues and so far they have been great.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I am also a big fan of the blacks. I need to try the blues as well as they seem to be well liked. I think the yellows turned me off from the blues a little...can't stand the yellows.

I must be the only one out there who likes the Green Indian PermaSharps more than the Black Indian Supers? I will have to buy bigger batches of both and do some more testing.

The Russian Blues and India Black are tops for me. The Russian Yellow SharpEdge are also nice.

proxy.php

I recently bought some of the old Czech made Blues and so far they have been great.

proxy.php

^^^This is great! Thanks for the pictures. I knew the difference before, but seeing the packages with labels really takes away any confusion.

It's tough I would say the India Blacks or Russian Blues then Russian Greens and most definitely last would be the yellows.

My sense is that all the 7 o'clock blades are good, some are better, and all different. I am sure I could tell the difference between them in a blind shave test.

I agree with the consensus that the Blacks (Indian-made super platinums) are the top of the heap: they seem to have the sharpness of the Yellows with the smoothness of the Blues. The Yellows (Russian-made, labeled sharpedge) are about as sharp as the Blacks but less smooth. The Blues (Russian-made super platinums) are smoother than the Yellows but less sharp. The Russian Greens (super stainless) are a step down--I'd say the sharpness of the Russian Blues and the smoothness of the Yellows. I'd put them on a par with the Astra SPs. I have much less experience with the Indian Greens (permasharps) and Czech Blues. The former is as hard to source as the Indian Blacks and seems a lesser blade; the latter is available only through happenstance.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Had my second shave with the black. It may not replace my old Swedish Bikini Team Gillettes, but it was pretty damn good.

I grabbed a quick pack of black ones at Pasteur's yesterday. I must say, my initial impression is quite favorable.

So what's the deal with the 800 different varieties of these? Which are the keepers, and which are the clunkers?

My addiction counselor only allows me 4 visits to Pasteur's a year and today is one of those days. My son loves the Blacks & Blues, both of which he is about out of, so I'm glad to hear that they at least have the blacks. I haven't tried any of them in years so maybe I should pick up a few packs to see if they are superior to the Feathers I usually use. However right now I'm busy trying to reposition various parts of my face in an attempt to learn how to use a straight.

Top Bottom