What's new

Nautilus v. Kanger ecigs

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If this has been posted before, please point me to the thread.

I stopped in at a local vape store yesterday to browse around. They had a Nautilus Aspire for $32. I also looked at a Kanger (can't remember the model name) that looked like the Nautilus and was $35. The sales guy seemed to like the Nautilus, but said the Kanger was good too.

Since I know next to nothing about ecigs, could someone give me a heads up on the two models?

We also talked a bit about the REO ones, but from what I understand you have to drip the juice in them while you are smoking them.

You're asking about tanks, not the battery (actualy e-cig) the tank screws on the top and holds the e-liquid. I can't tell you which one is better, as Kanger makes many. But I have heard many good things about the Nautilus tanks. As far as RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers) I'd wait until you got used to working with tanks, etc before you get into rebuilding. You'll need a mod (battery) that can support it, and there is a bit of a learning curve and can be dangerous if not done correctly (Read up on Ohm's law).

I'm no expert, and have been vaping for almost a year, I have a few mods, and currently use a DNA30 type box mod with a dripping atomizer at sub-ohm levels.

I use the nautilus aspire mini with the bvc and it is by far the best tank system I have used outside of some of my friends rebuildables. I noticed the flavours were stronger and I liked the control of the airflow.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was looking online this morning, trying to compare the Nautilus and Kanger, and saw that they had the mini out. I'm interested. Does it take the same battery as the regular one? SWMBO went with me when I was browsing, and said she didn't like the looks of the regular sized Nautilus as it was big.

I'm looking for something that we both could use for awhile to see how it goes. She got some Chantix prescribed to her and quit cigs. for a couple of weeks. Then the side effects started TEARING HER UP! She had to stop taking it and is smoking some again, but not as much. I have heard multiple good things about the ecigs. helping ppl. quit smoking regular cigs. The guy that did the siding on our house last year had one and said it worked great to help him quit.

Anecdotal results are not scientific research, but sometimes that predates the research results. :biggrin1:

I'm interested in an epipe, something like from epipemods. They recently did a smoking ban here and one part of it is within 35 feet of a business door. A lot of people and businesses are very P.O.ed. Ecigs. are exempt. An office I do some work for is about a half block from city hall, and I'd like to stand outside the door with something that looks like a real pipe that the city manager and some of the council members can see when they walk outside. :w00t:

Edit: Also, I HAVE NO INTENTION OF GIVING UP MY PIPE!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
For $35, you were probably looking at a Kanger Aerotank, or some derivative of it, there are a few. I used an Aerotank at one point, my wife uses an Aspire Nautilus now. The Aspire Nautilus is leaps and bounds better, but there is a caveat, you need to use the Aspire Nautilus BVC (Bottom Vertical Coil) coils (not the regular Aspire BVC coils which are for an older tank). The Nautilus Mini comes standard with the BVC coils, while the regular sized Nautilus comes with BDC (Bottom Dual Coil) coils. If you get the regular sized Nautilus, buy a pack of BVC coils to go with it. The regular Nautilus and the Mini-Nautilus use the same coils, so if you were to get both, one for you, one for the wife, you woudn't need to buy separate coils.

As was already said, these are just tanks (often called clear-o-mizers, tank-o-mizers, or just clearos). You'll also need to get batteries. If you're just starting off, you'll want a style known as an "Ego", which will look like a long marker. Most tanks these days use either a 510 connection (refers to the threading) or has "ego threads". The "Ego" type batters have both 510 threads (inside the connection) and ego threads (outside of the connection), so you can use either or. Both Aspire Nautilus tanks have 510 threads and a "beauty ring" to cover the ego threads on your battery and make a cleaner look.

If you go this route, Vision Spinners are a good type of ego battery. They have adjustable voltage so that you can tune the amount of vapor that you're getting to your liking.

As for the Reo, I would definitely hold off on that until you've decided that vaping is for you. On top of being expensive, you'll need to learn how to build your own coils. Even for a rebuildable device, Reos are a very niche item. They use an atomizer (the item that vaporizes the liquid, the Aspire Nautilus is a type of atomizer) called a Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (RDA). With normal RDAs, you drip the liquid in from the top in small amounts, anywhere from 5-20 drops at a time depending on the device. Where the Reos differ is that they use a special RDA that has been modified to have a bottle of liquid connected by a small piece of tubing to the bottom of the RDA. Instead of dripping liquid in from the top, you press the bottle through a hole in the side of the device to push liquid up into the device. This type of vaping is known as "squonking".

Below are links to the items I mentioned above. This site is a very reputable vaping site that I have ordered from many times. Their prices are generally very good.

http://101vape.com/variable-voltagewattage-devices/425-vision-spinner-2.html
http://101vape.com/clearomizers-glassomizers/360-genuine-aspire-nautilus-mini.html
http://101vape.com/clearomizers-glassomizers/270-aspire-nautilus.html
http://101vape.com/clearomizers-glassomizers/376-genuine-aspire-bvc-replacement-coils-5-pack.html

Apologies for this being such a long post. I remember how confusing all of the vaping terminology was when I first started. Feel free to PM me as well, I'm more than happy to answer any questions that you might have.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks Luke, that cleared some things up for me.

I think I'll stop by and see how much the total package would be for a Mini, a couple of batteries, and a charger.

The wife and I just got into vapeing this past week, as to stray her away from ciggs, and so I won't smoke when I have a brew of two. One of the best choices we've made in a while.

Went to the local vape shop 10-17 for a beginner set up for the wife-
Aspire nautilus mini $38
Vision spinner 2 $30
Ego USB charger $7
2 bottles eliquid $20
Tax $5
Total starter set up $100. I work nights, she days, so I goofed with it for the night so I could teach her how to use it. Sent it off with her Saturday morning to work and she fell in love. We both enjoyed the thing so much we got a second setup, Xtra liquid and coils Sunday night.

Now it's Tuesday night, the wife's in bed and has only smoked 2 ciggs since Saturday morning. And has not been bitchy or had mean cravings. And the thing fulfills my mini crave with beer.

I will also say that out of the 5 bottles of eliquid we got, so the wife could have a flavor selection, only one has nicotine at a medium strength. The wife found that she doesn't need the "nic spiked" liquid, and just having the plain flavored eliquid and her vape pen is enough.

Worthwhile setup for the money spent. Could have gone cheaper, but probably wouldn't have been as happy. Whole setup is just a hair bit longer then my hand, Palm to finger tip, and about as thick around as a finger, not quite as thick as my thumb. The weight of the thing is not that substantial, and rides in a pocket comfortably.

Ask local people you see with vape equipment and ask for nice shops to step into. Go into shops and ask away, good shop keepers want to inform you. The place I went to had a flavor test station, I've read places have test models. You might also try and find an evape bar to check stuff out, they're like hookah bars.

Coming from a vaper of three years... stores a rip off, they have to be to make a profit, and 70% of the time the juices they have are over ripe and their tanks/ cartos are meh.

Go to either mt baker vapor or mister e liquid. Both are the TOP vendors for ejuice, Baker vapor is the Walmart brand but very good. Mister e Is the name brand of e juice.

Go online and buy a visions spinner. Do not pay more then 30 bucks for the battery. Next, buy a Aspire tank and a 10 pack of cartomizers. Aspire cartos are one of the longest lasting ones I have used. Lastly always give it a few puffs without pushing the button to make the coil wet.

I wasted/spent/learned a lot about E-cigs the last 3 years. This is the best route to start.

Honorable mentions for e juice: halo, Johnson creek, bloog and jj vapes.
I have cheap stuff to high end stuff such as a volcano, trust me vision spinner and aspire tank.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks guys, that pretty much makes a list for me. Thanks for the price range in your area, Dave (knock knock :lol:).

Zed, we only have two vape shops here, and some of the "discount" smoke shops sell a bit of vape stuff. The one I seriously looked at (it was not as shabby lookin' as the other one) had the Aspire for $32, which was a dollar or two cheaper that what I found online. I saw the Aspire starter kit at Mr. Baker, but haven't checked how much shipping would be...and I didn't see an Aspire mini offered. The smoke shop Aspire mini is about $8 higher than the vape store.

I'll go back and check juice, then compare at the sites you listed.

Stay away from discount smoke shops that sell vape gear. They'll be overpriced and the gear itself might not be authentic. Mt Baker is a good starting point for liquids. A lot of us have started off getting their liquid. They have a ton of different flavors and have decent quality. Their shipping prices are also very reasonable, and free after a certain point, $50 I want to say. Plus, they very frequently have coupon codes.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks Luke, but it looks like the mini is listed as one that can be a replacement. But the free shipping does look...good to know when I know what I'm doing better.

The guy at the store estimated the whole kit for the batteries, charger, tank etc. at about $100. For 20 bucks more I think I'll probably stay local for the initial thing.

Let's don't give too much information if I have a good starting point on equipment like Dave, Zed, and you listed

I get sooooo confused. :lol:

just wanted to say congrats on making the switch. I started vaping around 3 years ago. I started out with a e-go twist and a vivi nova tank. fast forward I now have 4 e-cigs. 2 of them are regulated tank mods and the other mechanical dripper RBA mods. I pretty much stick with the drippers now. I am addicted to the clouds they make. I am not familiar with the tanks they are referring to. but i am with the coils they take. with bottom fed coils you can flood them with how hard you draw on them. so take it slow. the gurgling is so annoying. Also be mindful what kind of fluid you purchase as well.
Fluid is made of a PG/VG mixture. PG= Propylene Glycol/ VG= Vegetable Glycerin. PG is the liquid the suspend the nicotine and flavor. VG is what makes the clouds. So the higher the VG the more vapor you will have. with that being said VG is 2x as thick as PG. so it has the potential of clogging the atomizers the higher the vg lever is. most liquids are 50/50 PG/VG mix. once you get into the dripper fluids you will notice higher values like 80/20 or 90/10 VG/PG and the price will be more as well. and a lot of them come in glass bottle with a dripper in side of them

I'm not sure about the Aspire Vivi Nova BVC coils, but the BVC coils that the Aspire Nautilus takes (different from the Vivi Nova ones) do fine with 70% VG liquid, just make sure that you give the liquid time to soak the wicking material. Setting the tank to the smallest air hole and take a few draws without firing the battery to prime the coil as well.

I've yet to have a Nautilus BVC coil flood, they're a big step up from the old BDC coils.

Top Bottom