What's new

Natural hone collections.

I thought it would be fun to post a few of my natural hones here and encourage others to post theirs as well, hopefully expanding this thread into a large natural hone database for viewing, but also for commenting and general discussions regarding these hones...making it different than, say a wiki-database.
If others post theirs, i'd like to add more from my collection, maybe once a week? No doubt there are plenty to add and this can be a long, fun thread. :thumbup:

The first four i am listing are my La Dressante coticule, YellowLake oilstone, Nakayama and one of my Charnley Forest oilstones.

P.S. If this has been done before or in any way frowned upon, hopefully the moderators will step in and let me know...i am rather new to this particular forum.

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea for a thread.

In order after 1k bevel setter:
Ozuku Asagi/ Yaginoshima suita
full

full

both cover 3-8/10k range, but very different stones.
Ozuku us very buttery an smooth while honing, Yaginoshima is more chalky .
Both are very fast, but I prefer the Ozuku because I like the buttery feel better.

up to 20k
Shinden Suita

full

This one is so smooth one would think it does not hone at all.

Mejiro Nagura, takes on 1k edge easy.

full

Koma nagura for prepolishing:

full

those work very well with this Iwasaki Choice Nakayama:

full

Some other nakayamas I have:

Asagi

full

Kiita

full

One that I am not going to name ,but is very very rare
full

I have afew more that I will add later in the thread when I take pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted my collection a few days ago, but I'll take another snap if I remember when I get off work.
I've got a half dozen Eschers, a handful of mystery stones, a couple jnats, a half dozen coti's, a yellow lake (same one as yours, box and all), a Water of Ayr, a bunch of arkansas/washita stones, a BBW, a MST thuringian, maybe a few more I'm forgetting.

Mainaman: Excellent collection of JNats! Do you use the naguras exclusively for progressing or have you used slurry from the hones themselves also?

Mainaman: Excellent collection of JNats! Do you use the naguras exclusively for progressing or have you used slurry from the hones themselves also?
both ways actually. nagura slurry and finish on stone slurry , and only stone slurry
The nakayamas can pick up on 1k edge just fine too.

I'll add a few...those that I have pictures of, at least.

First up is an unknown hone believed to be Nakayama Iromono. It is moderately hard, cuts quickly and breaks down into a very fine slurry.

proxy.php

Next up is a long, thin Kiita. Relatively soft, as to be expected, quick cutting.

proxy.php

Another unknown hone...Awaseto. Harder than the Kiita, softer than the Iromono. Very nice finisher...

proxy.php

A poor picture of the Maruichi Maruka Nakayama (Nihon Kamisori)...I didn't think to take any before using it. So this is the only one I have of the stamps. Very, very hard, very slow and silky smooth. Patience pays off with this one. Big time.

proxy.php

Last edited:
both ways actually. nagura slurry and finish on stone slurry , and only stone slurry
The nakayamas can pick up on 1k edge just fine too.

Yep...i have had great results, coming off 1K bevel setting; progressing straight to JNat with slurry. Its nice!

Wow...there are already some beautiful collections on here. Keep 'em coming gents. I know alot of you must have more to add. :)
Here is my Nakayama Maruka...i'll post my Y/G Escher next, when i get pics of it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
P.S. If this has been done before or in any way frowned upon, hopefully the moderators will step in and let me know...i am rather new to this particular forum.

In fact, this is frowned upon quite severely. You will need to send all those stones to me for a lengthy examination before we can let this thread stand.

:tongue_sm

Top row:
Vintage Coti/BBW (not natural)
Vintage Coti/BBW (not natural) Old Hickory Hone
Ardennes Coti/Schist
Vintage Coti (BBW broke off at some point)
Vintage Coti/BBW (Not Natural)
Vintage Coti/BBW (Natural combo)
Ardennes Coti/Schist slurry
Vintage BBW in Mahogany box
Old rough grit sandstone in Cedar box with spot for a pocketknife
Soft Ark
Hard Ark
Surgical Black Ark
Pike Translucent Ark (Box not pictured)

2nd:
bottom half of a split Escher stone
Top half
Vintage Thuri
MST Thuri
Escher
Escher
Escher
Escher
Mst Thuri Slurry
Suspected Water of Ayr
Suspected Water of Ayr
Suspected Water of Ayr Slurry
Nakayama Karasu (20k+ with fresh slurry)
330mate "Nakayama" Karasu (~6-8k with fresh slurry)

Bottom:
Suspected Dragons Tongue
Yellow Lake Stone

Not pictured are a few washita's and rough grit sandstones, plus my DMT's and Synth/Barber hones.

Sigh...such beauty. I am among brothers! He, he...
SliceofLife: Hell of a collection man! Nice!
If you have closeup photos, of each hone, maybe posting a couple every week would be cool...if you feel like it, of course. :001_smile

I don't have much in my natural hone collection, only one vintage Queer Creek Blue Sandstone (8" x 2" x 1", not shown) and one vintage BBW/coticule (299mm x 67.5mm x 35mm). I hope to add the Peoples Stone to my collection soon.

Thanx,
Christopher =)

Good Lord, where did you get that monster of a coticule?

I was standing in line at the lottery ticket counter when I suddenly thought, "Why waste my money on a once in a lifetime chance, when I can play it safe and spend it on eBay junk?" So that's what I did. =)

Me

Top Bottom