What's new

“Natural” deodorant?

I generally avoid antiperspirants - my understanding is that the aluminum chloride is put on the night before, and it forms a gel that blocks your sweat glands (you then rinse off the excess in the morning). This can, in rare cases, lead to cysts that form when the glands stay blocked (sebaceous cysts).

One natural alternative that I have tried that works surprisingly well is Truly's - it's a mixture of coconut oil and sugar. The sugar concentration is high enough that it osmotically (much like honey) kills bacteria, so you still sweat but the odor causing bacteria are low enough in population that any malodor is minimal to nonexistent. It's worked well for me, and so it's the only thing I use. I did put it into a different container (a GoTube), as the small tub it comes in tends to leak when the coconut oil liquifies at warmer temperatures (my one complaint).

Natural deodorants with enzymes irritate my skin, and aren't particularly effective for me.

What I found helpful is the way I cleanse, given the odours come from bacteria. I wash the armpits and other area normally. The difference being during the rinse, I put the handheld shower head under each area and flush for 60 full seconds each. Water is the universal solvent. You'd be amazed how well this stretches out your odour free time.

Maybe I’m an outlier, but anti perspirant is the only thing that works for me. Every deodorant I’ve tried gives me a rash. I’ve tried a handful of natural deodorants like Tom’s and Crystal and I could smell myself by the end of the day (and I work in an office). The only deodorant that worked for me was Stirling, but they never made a second batch.

Retired and reclusive, and temps in our house never get above 72 in summer (or 67 in winter), so I don't need it everyday. When I do have to mix with others, I use a wet (shaving) alum block. I didn't like alum block on my face, but it works better than any deod for pits and chest if I'm going somewhere. I hate the scented stuff. I doesn't work and gives me a headache.

I also decided to stop using antiperspirants that contain aluminum. I received a free tube of Native in the mail and decided to try it. My pits broke out into a nasty rash. Really bad. I sent Native an email and they said that I should try their formulation for sensitive skin, which is their coconut scented deodorant. They also told me that my body has to acclimate to the new deodorant. So I was patient and sure enough the rash went away and did not come back as I continued to use the free tube of deodorant. I was pleased with how it worked. I was odor free all day. Even better than the antiperspirant. But when it came time to get more there was no way I was going to spend $12 on a single tube. So I went in search of something cheaper but was still free of aluminum. I knew about alum but have not tried it as for some reason I think it won't work for me. Irrational. Yes. I may try it soon though. But I found Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant. This stuff used to have something else in it that was considered bad, but after some very public bad press about that ingredient, it is now no longer in there. I've been using this stuff for a couple years now and I really like it. It lasts all day, smells good, doesn't make me break out in a rash and it's dirt cheap. As in $3.50 for a 2.5 oz. tube. I do think I paid half that when I first bought it but can't seem to find that kind of pricing anymore. So, I've settled on something that works for me. I think everyone is different when it comes to body chemistry so keep that in mind. I'm going to try a stick of the Crystal Alum and see how that works for me. It's always good to have a backup or an alternative.

Retired and reclusive, and temps in our house never get above 72 in summer (or 67 in winter), so I don't need it everyday. When I do have to mix with others, I use a wet (shaving) alum block. I didn't like alum block on my face, but it works better than any deod for pits and chest if I'm going somewhere. I hate the scented stuff. I doesn't work and gives me a headache.

Crystal. It’s an unscented Alum block in a shape more amenable to “pit” application. Don’t fear the pink on the label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystal. It’s an unscented Alum block in a shape more amenable to “pit” application. Don’t fear the pink on the label.

It works very well if used consistently every day and you bathe or shower at least a few times a week.

I also decided to stop using antiperspirants that contain aluminum. I received a free tube of Native in the mail and decided to try it. My pits broke out into a nasty rash. Really bad. I sent Native an email and they said that I should try their formulation for sensitive skin, which is their coconut scented deodorant. They also told me that my body has to acclimate to the new deodorant. So I was patient and sure enough the rash went away and did not come back as I continued to use the free tube of deodorant. I was pleased with how it worked. I was odor free all day. Even better than the antiperspirant. But when it came time to get more there was no way I was going to spend $12 on a single tube. So I went in search of something cheaper but was still free of aluminum. I knew about alum but have not tried it as for some reason I think it won't work for me. Irrational. Yes. I may try it soon though. But I found Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant. This stuff used to have something else in it that was considered bad, but after some very public bad press about that ingredient, it is now no longer in there. I've been using this stuff for a couple years now and I really like it. It lasts all day, smells good, doesn't make me break out in a rash and it's dirt cheap. As in $3.50 for a 2.5 oz. tube. I do think I paid half that when I first bought it but can't seem to find that kind of pricing anymore. So, I've settled on something that works for me. I think everyone is different when it comes to body chemistry so keep that in mind. I'm going to try a stick of the Crystal Alum and see how that works for me. It's always good to have a backup or an alternative.

They used to use Triclosan. There were environmental and public health concerns about it, particularly in hand soaps.

Today it's been voluntarily withdrawn from most toiletries, and banned altogether in hand soaps. Given that it was found to cause heart muscle weakness in lab rats, and it can be absorbed through the skin, that's probably a good thing. For a while, they were putting this chemical in everything, even though it was initially used mostly in hospital settings in the 70's.

Arm and Hammer is one of the better budget stick deodorants you can buy. I prefer the unscented version.

I started using the Crystal Potassium alum type deodorants nearly 10 years ago. Antiperspirants would irritate my underarms regularly and even natural deodorants like Arm & Hammer would cause a rash at times. I found shaving my pits helps a lot. Never thought I would shave anything other than my face, but whatever works.

Lately I have also been using Duke Cannon Trench Warfare Charcoal deodorant. I like the smell of the Sandalwood & Amber and it seems to work a bit better than just the plain Crystal deodorants without irritating my skin. On rare occasions I will use Gillette Clinical Strength Antiperspirant. That one only seems to irritate me when my allergies are really acting up.

Windecker Farms Charcoal Cream Deodorant is amazing. This is the first take at natural deodorants, but I won't go back now. It was a little weird at first having to rub it on, but it is not a big deal at all once you get past that initial phase. It smells natural and great, and does an excellent job all day, and does not stain your clothes at all.

WF17_D_Charcoal_1.jpg

Top Bottom