What's new

Natural bevel setter

As far as JNats go, you don’t need a coatse(r) stone, just a fast one. Many of my razors finishers would set a bevel easily.

Yeah, but that’s cos in the topsy-turvy-world-of-jnats everthing’s the wrong way round. And it’s only the hyper fine ones that are actually reasonably quick. Try setting a bevel with a coarse Japanese stone and you’ll be stuck there forever! ;)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yeah, but that’s cos in the topsy-turvy-world-of-jnats everthing’s the wrong way round. And it’s only the hyper fine stones that are actually reasonably quick. Try setting a bevel with a coarse Japanese stone and you’ll be stuck there forever! ;)

For the most part, that’s true.

I’d disagree that the JNat situation is bass ackwards, what’s wrong with a finisher that can set a bevel in short order? It’s all these slates and Thuris and Arks that have a problem. :001_rolle

I’d disagree that the JNat situation is bass ackwards, what’s wrong with a finisher that can set a bevel in short order? It’s all these slates and Thuris and Arks that have a problem. :001_rolle

Haha, indeed!

It is certainly very impressive when you use posh Nakayama kiita n stuff, and they're miles quicker than most run-of-the-mill suita, aizu, aoto &c.

(And nowt polishes like a slow jnat anyway, so have their uses too).

Haha, indeed!

It is certainly very impressive when you use posh Nakayama kiita n stuff, and they're miles quicker than most run-of-the-mill suita, aizu, aoto &c.

(And nowt polishes like a slow jnat anyway, so have their uses too).
I thought most jnat's were super fast, until I got some softer slow stones:)

Steve56

You don’t have a good suita. This one is a Nakayama sunashi (without su) and can turn a leaf spring into a straight razor in about 10 minutes, lol. It will also finish a razor pretty darned well with good technique. These sunashi stones were on a boundary layer between the upper layers and suita layers according to Takeshi, and the best of them have the best characteristics of both the upper layers (purity and fineness) and lower layers (speed).

They are expensive though, because woodworkers will pay through the nose for them. I got this one off Yahoo Japan and it was still expensive.

BDBB3BC5-E7A1-4EA0-AB89-63624A244693.jpeg

You don’t have a good suita. This one is a Nakayama sunashi (without su) and can turn a leaf spring into a straight razor in about 10 minutes, lol. It will also finish a razor pretty darned well with good technique. These sunashi stones were on a boundary layer between the upper layers and suita layers according to Takeshi, and the best of them have the best characteristics of both the upper layers (purity and fineness) and lower layers (speed).

They are expensive though, because woodworkers will pay through the nose for them. I got this one off Yahoo Japan and it was still expensive.

View attachment 1611772

I have several excellent suita I’ll have you know Steve! ;)

Both fast and slow. I just use them for a variety of different things so don’t judge a stone only by its speed. I’m not for instance going to sharpen yanagiba on a fast suita.

Why not? Just curious.

For a slightly different kind of edge than one would want on gyuto or more general-purpose knives; for yanagi you'd aim for sharp and smooth/polished, rather than sharp and aggressive which is what fast stones tend to give you.

Plus slow stones are better for even, hazy finish on jigane. And the act of sharpening single bevel knives obviously means you're going to be polishing / sharpening that whole wide bevel.

Steve56

I thought so. Not all suita are like that, but you are correct I believe, that a good tomae/namito, etc is a better bet if you’re buying.

I agree with this. I've got fine coticule and fine jnats that melt steel away and a lot of time I don't use slurry on the coticules to do it if they're fast enough.

Top Bottom