What's new

Natural beard balm

I'm one month into my beard and I want to make a homemade, natural beard balm. I don't think I want to add many scents such as essential oils. I'm currently traveling and in Guatemala right now so some products are hard to come by. I have beeswax (which doesn't smell too much like honey like I've heard some people say). I also have jojoba oil but I cannot find Shea Butter although there is plenty of coco butter. Can I make a balm using only coco butter, jojoba oil and beeswax? I can buy Lanolin oil if that helps. I'd like to keep the recipe simple.

Thanks!

Those are all good for the hair and skin, so I see no reason you couldn't make a decent balm from those ingredients. The wax will provide a nice, light scent and good hold, while the oils and butters will provide nutrition for the hair.

Sounds good to me!

After this last snowstorm I would have to say nose mucous was my natural beard balm.

In all seriousness, your recipe should be fine.

I've just read that most beard balm recipes have Shea Butter in them which I cannot find at the moment. Maybe I'll try the basic recipe of beeswax, Coconut butter, and jojoba oil.

I just happen to be experimenting with making mustache wax (mostly a failure as of yet) and stumbled on a killer beard balm of sorts. I melted 50% with 20% cocoa butter 20% Shea butter and about 5% each petroleum jelly and beard oil (which is mostly a jojoba oil sweet almond oil mix). The result is pretty firm but quickly melted/rubbed in like a balm or salve. It had a small wax like effect but only if I applied heavy and left it to cool. I see no reason a mix of bees wax cocoa butter jojoba oil (or other light oil) mix wouldn't perform similarly. I found the scent of the cocoa butter objectionable in such concentration and very difficult to mask or ignor...but it does fade after application.
Edit: I re-melted the small batch and modified by adding coconut oil (kept at 50% beeswax and added as much coconut oil as the combined amount of cocoa butter and she's butter combined) the result was no better as a mustache wax... Total failure on that front for sure. As a balm beard and or lip etc it is decent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom