What's new

Natural Aftershaves?

Morning Gents

Did a little search but couldn't find a thread about natural or organic aftershave lotions / balms.

I'm not a vegan green-nut but I'm more conscious of the cr@p they put into products we take for granted - toothpaste, deodorant, shaving gels, aftershave etc. I'd like to start reducing the toxins I put into or onto myself!

Anyone used or found a good natural aftershave lotion? I was using some cheap Nivea stuff recently, worked OK and smelt nice but probably full of garbage.

Natural ingredients might make a nice change...

Thanks!

Alcohol and glycerin is as natural as it gets.

Then also witch hazel, aloe, shea butter, lanolin, which last longer on skin as moisturizers. Or can be part of a separate balm to apply after a simple alcohol splash.

There are so many I won’t list names, they are all similar. Presently I use Proraso, Speick, Le Père Lucien splashes, and St James of London balm.

you might check out thayers witch hazel, some without and with alcohol.
recent ingredient list:
Purified Water, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Un-Distilled Witch Hazel Extract, Lavender Fragrance, Vegetable Glycerin, Citric Acid, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Vitamin E Acetate, Lavender Water.

klar kabinett plisson thayers rose amouage gold january 6 2019.jpg

In my opinion everything is natural. Nylon and concrete are natural as they are produced by humans (a natural animal), just as honey and wax are produced by bees, silk is produced by moth larvae, and termite mounds are manufactured by termites. It’s even more blurred given that animal species like dogs and cattle, plants like flowers and wheat are all designed by humans through selective breeding, and do not occur in the wild. I see no meaningful distinction between ‘artificial’ and ‘natural’ things.

That said, I understand what you mean. You should probably take a look at Abbate Y La Mantia soaps and aftershaves, I think. They are unique formulations with unique fragrances due to the various ‘natural’ plants and herbs they are based on, each product intended to produce a particular beneficial effect on your skin. They are very good products for shaving. They still contain some ingredients you would consider to be ‘chemicals’, but then so do we.

Not sure where you are drawing the line. I am a fan of a vegan company known as Dr. Jon's.
The following is right off their website for their aftershave.

"All of our ingredients are carefully chosen to achieve the desired effect: Rose Water and Aloe for their healing properties, Alcohol as an antiseptic, Glycerin to hydrate, Witch Hazel to soothe and refresh your skin, Alum to tighten your skin and Menthol to cool you down after your shave.
While most commercial aftershaves are either loaded with chemicals or just fragrance and alcohol, which dries out your skin, our Aftershave Tonics are just good stuff that's good for you.
Ingredients: Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Rose Water, Fragrance, Aloe, Menthol, Alum."

I was looking around and found Neils Yard from Covent Garden London does a small 50ml bottle for £20! I won't be spending that much. Also, Brickell's aftershave looks promising. Might try that one...

I'm not sure what all you consider "natural" but I'd suggest looking at balms from Wickham 1912 and Phoenix and Beau.

Stirling witch hazel toners are also very natural with an ingredients list of "Witch Hazel, Aloe, Distilled Water" for the Unscented version. They also have one that adds tea tree oil to that list and others with some essential oils for scent.

same here, I don't care about the vegan stuff, I care about not having microplastic, petroleum and its derivatives in anything that I put on my skin. That said, I used Speick blue AS balm, AS splash (they call it a lotion, but it is a splash), Lavera AS balm. Mühle also has an organic lineup, but I haven't tried those yet. Cella green AS splash is also certified organic.

Orange peels, lemon peels, and lime peels soaked in whatever base you want. Everclear pure grain alcohol works great for AS…feel the burn and sanitize your face but you’ll smell great.

I'm a big fan of bay rum. Given that it's created, as I understand it, by heating the leaves and/or berries of the bay rum tree in alcohol, I'd say that's as natural as you're going to get.

Of course, to be REALLY natural, I'd imagine that you couldn't shave or trim your beard at all...

;)

-Z

If you can find it, Aubrey Organics makes some nice splashes. They have a bay rum and also a pine scented splash, both excellent. Razorock has a few too which I highly recommend. Their King Louis, especially, if you like lavender.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Lucky Tiger Aftershave Tonic comes purt darn near to hitting the mark...

INGREDIENTS: Purified Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 20, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Tocopherol Acetate Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Citrus Essential Oils).

Size: 8 oz (240 ml)

Made in the USA.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
If you can find it, Aubrey Organics makes some nice splashes. They have a bay rum and also a pine scented splash, both excellent.
I didn't know they made aftershave. I have tried a few of their facial cleansers in the past.

Top Bottom