What's new

Natural Aftershave Lotion

Hello All -

I'm looking for a natural aftershave lotion/milk that has a good, but mild scent. I live in Florida, so I need something light, soothing and non-greasy. I'm currently working through a tube of Burt's Bees Lotion. It's OK, but I'm sure that you all have some good suggestions. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but finding one that isn't laden with chemicals has been tougher that I thought. I'm relatively new to this, so any advice would be appreciated.

I've read here that Proraso and Saint Charles are good ones, but are they natural/organic?

Thanks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is there anything in particular that you are trying to avoid? A specific allergy, or something like that?
There are an abundance of different formulations available, but most contain some type of "chemical" or other.
"Chemical" doesn't necessarily equate to "bad", and "Natural" doesn't always mean "good".
A cruise through the Cologne and Aftershave sections of this forum should turn up some good prospects for you, and you can do a search in those forums for the word "natural". That is bound to bring up some results you might find useful.

Good Shaves, and welcome.

There are an abundance of different formulations available, but most contain some type of "chemical" or other.
"Chemical" doesn't necessarily equate to "bad", and "Natural" doesn't always mean "good".

I agree natural doesn't always mean it's good. For example mold is natural but i certainly don't want it in my lotion so therefor a chemical preservative is necessary to prevent that from happening.

When you look at how these products need to be made there are certain ingredients that do need to be added that are not "natural". For example an aftershave milk is going to contain oils and water. But as we all know oil and water do not mix and they separate so some sort of emulsifier is going to be needed and there are quite a few to choose from. They are not natural but they are necessary just like the preservative to prevent mold and bacteria from growing.

Then there are other ingredients that are added that really do benefit your skin and make a better product.

Good Luck in finding what you need but if your concerned about ingredients that are not "natural" you can google all the ingredients listed for a product and decide for yourself if they are something you want to use on your skin. There are some great ingredients to use, and then there are some to avoid.

Welcome to B&B

I live in Florida, so I need something light, soothing and non-greasy.

D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave fits your description perfectly, and is ideal for use in Florida. I don't know if it's within the purview of what you consider natural, though. Here are its ingredients, and you can decide for yourself if it's something you want to try.

Aqua
Ethanol 16.89%
Glycerin
Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Bromide
Methyl Para Hydroxybenzoate
Fragrance (Natural)
Colouring

From your question I am not sure whether you are looking for an Aftershave Lotion (aka Splash) or Aftershave Balm. Anyway, Speick definitely has a splash (review) and balm (review) that has loads of natural ingredients.

Splash (Speick after shave lotion): Alcohol, Aqua, Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Hammamelis Virginiana Distillate, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Citrus Medica Lamonum Oil, Parfum, Lactic Acid, Potassium Alum, Methol, Camphor, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool. (I can't find any ingredients that are not natural!)

Balm (Speick after shave balm): Aqua, Alcohol, Glycine Soja Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Glyceryl Cocoate/Citrate/Lactate, Parfum, Xanthan Gum, Persea Gratissima Oil Unsaponifiables, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Distillate, Mel, Bisabolol, Tocopherol, Menthol, Galactoarabinan, Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool. (Also nearly everything natural!)

I hope this helps you a bit!

Thayers Lemon is great. I also mix a couple of my own with their original and some essential oils (one pine/fir and one sandalwood).

Top Bottom