What's new

National Safety Razor

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Not long ago I picked up a razor lot with 2 SE's and 1 DE. As often happens, I was gunning for the one SE I didn't have, but the other two were both "happy accidents" or "positive collateral damage". The DE was an all black razor with the word National stamped under the base plate. Upon reviewing Mr. Waits' Compendium, I discovered the razor is purported to have been produced in/around 1941 for distribution by the Red Cross. That's all I can find, although apparently the company that produced them was based in New York, New York.

I'm always happy to try unusual razors and brands (i.e., not Gillette), but my expectations are that the shave (like many razors) will often be a clone of one of my Gillette's....this one surprised me. I'll come back with more pictures to visually illustrate the following points....the pic posted below is from today's shave:
  1. It's a standard 3 piece razor, made out of what I assume is bakelite, but the baseplate is surprisingly thick.

2. Very little of the blade is exposed once the cap assembled. There is a fair amount of blade bend when the razor is assembled, and while the top cap doesn't seem especially wide, there is minimal blade gap, and I would venture to say VERY little blade exposure.
  3. One surprising feature was that the blade tabs are covered by the top plate. A picture would explain it better, but basically the top cap extends out just enough to cover the blade ears (and thus protect my lobes when I get careless)
I was predicting the shave to be extremely mild and terribly inefficient....I was wrong. It was mild (as in VERY comfortable), but the efficiency was much better than expected, and I could've easily stopped at 2 passes for a DFS. I opted for a 3rd pass, and decided to go ATG (which I don't do often unless I'm testing a razor or looking to show off some killer-looking irritation); and this razor did an outstanding job. No blood, no irritation, just a VERY comfortable BBS. Part of the secret of this razor seems to be a complete clamp down of the blade....absolutely, positively no blade chatter.

So I'll be back with more pics to better visually illustrate this razor; but here is today's shave: Gillette Nacet blade (3rd shave), Yaqi Timberwolf Brush and Valobra Fougere soap....finish was just a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.
proxy.php

If you have a National DE razor, I'd love to hear your experience with it....I'd also like to know more history if anyone has thing beyond the Waits' info.

Very cool. I love bakelite and I really like DEs that cover the blade on the ends. I never understood why the blades stick out on the ends of so many razors.

Most Likely someone made a decision that you can grip on the blunt sides to take the used blade out if it somehow sticks.
Forgetting that those blunt edges are not so blunt and can cut you when shaving. Sometimes you see a slightly oversized cap in respect to the base plate.

And very pretty razor

I never understood why the blades stick out on the ends of so many razors.
They are there to adjust the blade when loaded in the razor.
...you can grip on the blunt sides to take the used blade out if it somehow sticks.
Forgetting that those blunt edges are not so blunt and can cut you when shaving.
I have never had a problem with those tabs doing XTG {both ways} on the top lip. Not a head shaver so don't know if working round the ears is a problem. Some people do have an issue with the tabs though.

R

romsitsa

Just how? Even managed to cut out a piece of my upper lip with a Fatboy but never had any problems with blade ends.

Adam

In the decade since I have been DE shaving, I have never cut myself with a blade tab and most of my razors, modern and vintage have at least some of the tab exposed with just a few exceptions.

Not saying it is impossible. Actually my worst cut ever was with a cart. I was running late for work when I was 19, took the razor with me and it happened when I shaved with just hot water. Got myself so bad it took almost 2 years for hair to start growing again in my sideburn area and bled throughout the day.

So some people may think it is impossible to cut yourself with a cart but I did. My experience aside, I know that it is probably very uncommon for people to cut themselves really good with any cart, even while just using hot water.

I think mainly the visuals of seeing the tabs extrude, maybe from a razor such as a Tech makes one wonder about the possibility rather than it occurring.

Not my experience ever. Wouldn't change a thing. When I got back into wet shaving I bought a styptic pencil. It remains in its blister pack. Never needed it. Some of us just don't cut easily.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Looks suspiciously identical to Clix.

Adam
Thanks, Adam! The Clix razors have never hit my radar, but I think you nailed it. Given that the Clix were made in that time frame, in NY, and were producers for both the Military and Red Cross....plus after looking at some Clix pics, I think your suspicions are spot-on -- this razor appears to be VERY closely related (clone or re-brand perhaps?) to the Clix solid plastic/bakelite version. I believe you're the first person to make that connection....good eye, sir!!

Thanks, Adam! The Clix razors have never hit my radar, but I think you nailed it. Given that the Clix were made in that time frame, in NY, and were producers for both the Military and Red Cross....plus after looking at some Clix pics, I think your suspicions are spot-on -- this razor appears to be VERY closely related (clone or re-brand perhaps?) to the Clix solid plastic/bakelite version. I believe you're the first person to make that connection....good eye, sir!!
Clix was a division of Conrad who supplied razors to many in the 30s and 40s. The Clix Razors, of which I know three configurations, look to mostly appear 1944-47 (blades came earlier). They carry over the covered blade tabs from the original design for Barbasol but the plate and handle seem not subject to patent as similar designs are seen in the National and Simplex razors. EZ-FLO top, Clix 500 bottom.
proxy.php

Simplex:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom