What's new

Nation Wide Campus New Shick Injector - Non adjustable...

Fellas,
While I have not used this razor enough to give a FULL review (complete with ratings) I did want to share some additional pictures, and initial thoughts.

Firstly - the non-adjustable injector is ALL you need. The adjustable model feels MUCH cheaper, and is not built nearly as ridgid/solid, and most importantly the non-adjustable was able to give me no joke - just about the best shave of my life. The shave I experienced today with this injector and a fresh Shick Injector blade was just about the best I can remember... from any razor; straight, de or injector. What was most surprising about this expeirence however was the COMPLETE and total lack of irritation/inflammation or disturbance to my skin of ANY sort. Even when applying pressure and shaving MIGHTY fast and haphazardly, nary a nick, cut, weeper, or speck of irritation. After the shave, I splashed on some alcohol based aftershave (L'occitane CADE) which normally provides a burning sensation, nothing uncomfortable - but certainly a burn... this shave was so irritation free, it felt like I was slapping water on my face.

The aformentioned qualities coupled with the long/grippy handle (quite a bit longer than a Merkur Long handle - pics comparing them will be posted tomorrow) and the hefty, quality feel/construction, not to mention the sexy looks of this razor make it a hands down winner in my book. This razor has the finest grip/handle of ANY razor I have experienced bar-none. This razor makes a Merkur Vision look/feel frumpy and cheap.

While the adjustable is all fine and good - and a superb reproduction, it was not a "high quality" razor to begin with - meaning initally when released, and all of the original old versions I have used, work well, but feel cheap, plastiky, and the milling/tooling marks on them show quite a bit. When you heft this thing and shave with it, it feels dinky, unsubstantial, etc. Sure... it works outstanding - but with the adjustments, you basically end up putting it at a setting damn near identical to the fixed injector version, as if you open it any wider, you will chew yourself up and won't get a closer shave, and close it any further and you won't get close enough. The adjustable is a neat novelty, but due to the INCREDIBLY user friendly, SUPERIOR shaped head/handle of the fixed injector - it makes it way easier to use, and way easier to get a BETTER shave than the adjustable. I know everyone and their mother will purchase an adjustable... well because "adjustable is better than non-adjustable" and the fact that in the past they have been so elusive/expensive - but a sound piece of advice... don't. Do not buy the adjustable, as truth is... it is inferior in every respect to the much, MUCH nicer fixed version. Sure - it may be only $15 - but i'll assure you this... if you buy both of 'em - you'll use the adjustable a few times - then never again, as the fixed will get ALL of your attention/use.

This fixed headed version give a shave akin to a feather loaded slant bar.... albeit ZERO irritation, ZERO learning curve - and as easy to perform as a mach III shave. Seriously... with ZERO DE experience, only having used a Mach III, Fusion, Sensor, etc - I am confident you could stick this thing in your hand - perform a WORLD CLASS 4 pass shave (including against the grain) with nary a nick.

This my friends.... is the epitome of "shaving tools for dummies."

I am not kidding when I say this.... if I get similar results with this razor for 2 full boxes of injector blades, I will sell all but 1 or 2 of my DE's, my feather straight razor and blades, about 20 boxes of feather blades, and about 18 boxes of derby's and this very razor will become my sole daily shaver - save for special occasions when I am in the mood to throw a straight or a DE in the mix.

This razor is truly outstanding - and has the looks/performance to kill...

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait for a full review. How many days until you feel a full review is in order? (Also, will those days be exclusively Injector shaving?) You're just building the anticipation!

jfm said:
I can't wait for a full review. How many days until you feel a full review is in order? (Also, will those days be exclusively Injector shaving?) You're just building the anticipation!

I'd like to "wear" one blade out before a full-bore review is posted - as this is just my initial impression after the first - outstanding shave. If the razor can only provide 1-2 outstanding shaves per blade - then such outstanding qualities I spoke of initially would be somewhat moot, as it would make the razor quite expensive to feed effectively - as injector blades are quite a bit more expensive than DE blades. The GOOD news is however, usually I have found injector blades to last LONGER than DE blades, as they are much thicker/more robust. The aformentioned example was purely a "devil's advocate" example, as I would be most unhelpful to gush my love for the product, only to find days later a potential problem. Again - this is just my initial impression, and I will be exclusively shaving with the injectors until I have fully used a blade in each. I did not do a full shave with the adjustable, but just a few strokes and modfied the adjustments 6-7 times and immediatly was turned off (compared to the fixed head). I'll give the adjustable a full go right after I have worn a blade out with the fixed - but it is clear as glass the fixed head is the gem here.

Again, I can't wait for the results. Not that even a moderate stamp of approval would really keep me from buying one. - Justin

Sweet; that would be coming full circle for me. My 1st razor was a Black handle type L non adjustable that I used till I switch to a Schick Ultrex.

That is awesome news Joel, I hope my swedish Spartan friend will now jump into wetshaving next month I adviced him to get a DE razor , I changed it to getting this injector the fixed one. perhaps we will see the revival of the Injector.
All we need is a place to buy the blades per 100 just as we do for DE and were set. I'll keep my collection as is it aint so big no Merkurs here I like my Gillette Aristocrat silver UK edition it sounds good I hope the blade holds up. the keypoint here for me is Time wise basically anyone can switch over now and dont need the steep learning curve of a DE

roughrider said:
I've read somewhere before that people were using the Feather straight razor blades in their Injectors. Is this true?

Yep, I cut my Feather blades down occasionally and put them in my and my wifes injectors. Although my wife doesn't know it, she sometimes says what a great shave she gets on her legs, it's my little secret.

I would also like to add that I too would love to see Feather produce and sell Injector blades for the Schicks as well.

Great post Joel. I did notice over at ebay that the price for some adjustable injectors had not rocketed up to neary $100 like usual. I'll check back to see if they stay sane. I think this deal with Nationwide Campus is absolutely great. The scam-bay stuff with razors has hopefully run it's course but you never know. I hope all those speculators don't use up too many boxes of Kleenex when they can't get anywhere near what they payed for...a razor. A very usable one as you've plainly illustrated yet certainly not a slice of Americana like the 40s', 50's, and early 60's Gillette DE's. I'm old enough to remember these things at the drugstore for .99 or maybe a couple of bucks for the adjustable. They NEVER competed with the Gillette DE's on a serious level, not for sales anyway. I've always felt the plastic handled injector just didn't look as substantial as the old DE's. I will however buy a couple of these just for the heck of it. Likely one of each just to say I own them. I must say that finally getting to see the fixed blade model up close in those photos reveals it to be a fairly substantial piece for a plastic fantastic. I look forward to trying it. BTW, now that the injector won't be a "rare" collectible, do you think the scambayers will "discover" the old Gem single edge razors? Go ahead guys, get 'em while they're still $3 at the flea markets.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen said:
Great post Joel. I did notice over at ebay that the price for some adjustable injectors had not rocketed up to neary $100 like usual. I'll check back to see if they stay sane. I think this deal with Nationwide Campus is absolutely great. The scam-bay stuff with razors has hopefully run it's course but you never know. I hope all those speculators don't use up too many boxes of Kleenex when they can't get anywhere near what they payed for...a razor. A very usable one as you've plainly illustrated yet certainly not a slice of Americana like the 40s', 50's, and early 60's Gillette DE's. I'm old enough to remember these things at the drugstore for .99 or maybe a couple of bucks for the adjustable. They NEVER competed with the Gillette DE's on a serious level, not for sales anyway. I've always felt the plastic handled injector just didn't look as substantial as the old DE's. I will however buy a couple of these just for the heck of it. Likely one of each just to say I own them. I must say that finally getting to see the fixed blade model up close in those photos reveals it to be a fairly substantial piece for a plastic fantastic. I look forward to trying it. BTW, now that the injector won't be a "rare" collectible, do you think the scambayers will "discover" the old Gem single edge razors? Go ahead guys, get 'em while they're still $3 at the flea markets.

Regards, Todd

Hearing your comments - I think you'll be MORE than pleased with the fixed headed injector as unlike other injectors it has a steel frame NOT a plastic frame. There is a rubber coating/grip on the razor, and a touch of blue plastic, but the razor has a decent amount of heft to it, even for it's size. This feels TOTALLY different from the hydromatics and such - I mean this is on a totally different level, and PERSONALLY, I think it feels nicer than a Gillette Adjustable DE, which for an injector is a BIG deal. :smile: Suffice to say.... I am happy with my purchase!

Cigar Dan said:
Have you tried the teflon coated injector blades available from tedpella? If so, what did you think of them?

Don't know what tedpella is - so nope. :smile:

Top Bottom