What's new

Nanny's Silly Soap Original beats Declaration Grooming

I am currently trying out a lot of soaps to be able to reduce my inventory. Among the soaps I already tried is NSS Moroccan Sands. I really wanted to love this soap due to its fantastic scent. A am would you could call a scent fanatic, and this scent blew the scent of every other soap I've ever tried out of the water. Then again scent preferences are personal.

I tried the soap ten shaves in a row and found its performance to be OK, but not more than that. Quite disappointed I put the soap among those that had to go. Even so I couldn't stop going back to the soap, unscrewing the lid just to feel the scent. I decided to give it another go. Suddenly the soap was a great performer and the scent was still fantastic. I shaved with it another seven days and the performance was consistently good. This soap stays with me and it will be replaced.

The reason as to why the performance changed must have been that it had been laying unused for a couple of years and needed to be rehydrated to perform as good as it should. It still isn't quite on par with MdC, Tabac, MWF, SV, Haslinger, Noberu and some high end TSF soaps I have shaved with, BUT it is better than most and, as stated above, the scent is magical IMO.

You're probably right that after a couple of years, the soap needed more water, so maybe the resulting water-to-soap ratio and lather-building time were different from before. It seems to me that you might have hit the optimum or much closer to the optimum for you.

Thanks for the review and a detailed review it was. I appreciate the time and effort that you put into these reviews. I may never use this soap but it gives me something to think about and that is good.

You're welcome, Andrew. It takes time to find a soap or cream's optimum (for me) and rank it. I'm glad that I've given you something to think about. :001_smile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wholly Kaw is on my wish list. :001_smile I'm sure that I'll eventually get to it. I'm willing to evaluate Pre de Provence, but there are many others that I'd like to try first.

I think, PdP is slicker than Wholly Kaw, but not by much. Wholly Kaw has a completely different feel to it, and from any other soaps I've yet used.

I think, PdP is slicker than Wholly Kaw, but not by much. Wholly Kaw has a completely different feel to it, and from any other soaps I've yet used.

WK is literally at the top of my wish list. I've got several soaps and creams lined up for optimization that must come first, though. Whenever I get a donation, it takes precedence. :001_smile

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thats a bold statement!

I havent tried Declaration Grooming yet, but I understand it to be the equal, or perhaps better of, Wholly Kaw. Wholly Kaw is my new #1, just edging out Pre de Provence in performance.

This soap is better? One wonders how thats even possible lol.

Jim! @Chan Eil Whiskers you need more soap, again! lol

Between you and Grant and Cal it's hard to determine one thing.

upload_2018-10-7_16-7-56.png

Hey, Mike, when you're ordering that HS, get some NSS, and, above all, order 1912.

Yes, Connaught has all of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom