What's new

Naniwa

Hi I would like to buy my first set of stones.
I have just ordered a jnats for finishing and I would like to buy a naniwa 3000k and 8000k.
What do you suggest to me?
Better naniwa superstone or professional?
What is the best compromise ?
Bye

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

If you're not setting new bevels, the 3k and 8k should be fine. For my money, I would get a Shapton Pro 1.5k, 5k and 8k.

Ok but can you suggest me the combinated naniwa 3000/8000 or better get single stones ?

Ok I bought just now shapton glass 3000k and 8000k Hc
What I need to clean the stones ?
Bye

Ok which grit of atoma?
400 is ok ?
For wet sanding paper which one ?
Thank you

I have a dmt 325 to lap and my naniwa set is 1k, 3k, 8k, 12k. I have thought about the 5k but I don’t feel like I need it.

Thank you , so for this moment I won’t lap the stones . In the future probably I gonna buy atoma 400 or dmt 325
Bye

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
If you’re honing razors you need to lap your stones when you get them. I got a new SG 500 this week and spent about 15 minutes getting it flat and how I wanted it with a DiaFlat. The thing was wonky. I can’t imagine trying to hone a razor on it in the shape it was in.

Thank you , so for this moment I won’t lap the stones . In the future probably I gonna buy atoma 400 or dmt 325
If you ever need to set a bevel on a razor, you won’t regret having a low grit option like that. Even on a 1000 stone, getting to a workable bevel takes forever

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Naniwa Chosera 800 and 3000 synthetic splash-and-go stones. They are just flat-out (pun intended) awesome stones. I finish on a Cerax 5000. Three stones. That's it. That's all you need for knives. I added an 8000 Kitayama for razor finishing.

Always gotta have an atoma or dmt for lapping. Just as important as having the stone itself. I find the atoma to leave a slightly better surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Always gotta have an atoma or dmt for lapping. Just as important as having the stone itself. I find the atoma to leave a slightly better surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find wet/dry sandpaper glued to a polished marble tile or similar very flat surface works better. Less overrun. Choose or change your grit. Sandpaper wears out, change it.

If you have to do any real lapping sic powders is the way to go, will save you time and money.. Then get it Atoma flat, nothing gets flatter than adiamond plate.
If you are just maintaining your stone and if you dont want to buy a diamond stone then plain sandpaper on a flat surface is fine.

Top Bottom