What's new

Naniwa Hakotogi set

Has anyone tried this set. I love the water bin and bridge. I've just never tried the 1k stone that comes with it. I know I will get use of the bin and bridge. I'm working on getting a set of stones for the kitchen knives. I want a set designated for kitchen knives and a set for straights. I dont know why I want a set for each but I do.

20200511_220136_compress87.jpg
20200511_220141_compress12.jpg
20200511_220158_compress38.jpg
20200511_220205_compress75.jpg
20200511_220215_compress5.jpg
20200511_220223_compress39.jpg

new to me
sort of looks like the naniwa traditional 1k which is a soaker stone, but that retails for like 20 bucks so I am not sure what these are.

I thought the same thing. I think it is that stone. The whole set was like 50-55 bucks. Right now I use a couple washcloths under the stone cases to soap up all the water. I have to use a wood tv tray. So this will allow honing without soaking a bunch of washcloths. They sell them on the bay.

I made a bridge to use in my kitchen sink for that style of sharpening, which I really dont' do too often. Generally, I put down a silpat and and a rubber block and hone/sharpen on that. Very stable set up, no variables to account for, very predictable. When I use a lot of pressure, say - when profiling a wide 8-9" blade, nothing moves and I can really focus on the geometry without worrying about something slipping of shifting. I did try using a tub or pond or whatever it's called but I didn't like it, too unstable and limited for my tastes.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I made a bridge to use in my kitchen sink for that style of sharpening,
Same here. I tried several expensive sink bridges and ended up settling in on this. It fits snugly and I have access to running water above it if needed, but as you can see it's messy. We have two kitchens and I use the one in the basement for honing. My better half would gut me if I did this in her kitchen.
63853370-7C8E-4AA1-BEFD-9ABFFC54F033.jpeg

Similar - mine is granite, I put a putty dam on top between the stone and the sink to keep water from flowing onto the countertop.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I need to do something similar. I usually just put a rag or paper towel down to keep the water in check but I need something more permanent.

I’ve seen these and thought about trying one. They’re what, 30 ish bucks? Does it flex at all while honing or lapping on it?

$35 for this one as I recall, and the amount of flex while lapping is tolerable and less than I expected. For my Shapton Pros and JNats, this bridge has been working great for honing and is quite stable especially when snugly fit to a sink.

FWIW, I’m not using considerably more pressure than that provided by the lapping plate and stone holder when lapping.

Top Bottom