What's new

Naniwa Fuji 8k

How hard of a stone is a Fuji 8k? I tend to like harder syth stones for razors that don't self slurry to much. Advice greatly appreciated.

Mike

How hard of a stone is a Fuji 8k? I tend to like harder syth stones for razors that don't self slurry to much. Advice greatly appreciated.

Mike

The Naniwa Fuji 8k I had was not a stone I would call a hard stone. The Shapton 8k I had was harder by comparrison. The Fuki 8k was my preferred choice between the two.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have used a Fuji for serveral years. I would not call it hard or soft, it’s a good Naniwa. I don’t get much auto slurry during use, just swarf. It’s my last synthetic before jumping to naturals. It does perform better than it class. It gives my a edge closer to 10K, maybe even finer.

I got a new stone in the Naniwa gouken Fuji 8k, first thing i did I lapped it, then for a test.

I got 1 of my practise razors a Herder and did the following progression,
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa super stone 3k
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4k
Then to the new stone the 8k after that i stropped and shaved 1 part of my face was no effort, no tugging but wanted to see if i could beter it so,went to my coticule with water only, untill it started sticking, stropped again then finished the shave.

It was a very, very nice shave, have to try this progression a few more times but for the first time i liked it.

20200710_093318.jpg

I use a similar progression at times before I finish on naturals or higher grit synths. Chosera1K > 3K Hayabusa 4K > Fuji 8K will deliver a comfortable 8K shaving edge if you take your time but I prefer a finisher at the end.
If you are after a synth finish the Naniwa 12K SS is a very capable finisher for this progression.

Top Bottom