What's new

Naniwa delivery

5k, 8k, 12k S2 Super Stones (already have a Shapton Kuromaku 1.5k for bevel set)

Stone holder is my own design / 3D printed.
proxy.php

Attachments

• 210x70 stone holder.JPG
    210x70 stone holder.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 24
^ Thanks! Need to lap and try them out.
What you going to lap em with? Back when I got mine, I got the Nani lapper, drew lines all over my stone and had at it. It worked. But a diamond plate is what I’d recommend anymore. Of only because I know the plate is flat.

Of course sandpaper on your kitchen countertop is all you really need.

Anyway, more interesting to me is, have you thought about if you are going to soak them before working them or not? And if you are, do you lap before the soak, or after?

New stones are fun. I love my Nani’s. They are what I use to compare all my other stones edges by. They are remarkably consistent. I think you’ll love em. Cool 3-d too by the way.

My plan for lapping was w/d sandpaper on a smooth marble tile. I used it with good results on the Shapton 1.5k stone. My understanding of the Super Stones is no need to soak, so I'll probably just lap under running water - with maybe 1k grit sandpaper. I'll do some browsing in the forum and see what others have recommended/done and go from there.

My plan for lapping was w/d sandpaper on a smooth marble tile. I used it with good results on the Shapton 1.5k stone. My understanding of the Super Stones is no need to soak, so I'll probably just lap under running water - with maybe 1k grit sandpaper. I'll do some browsing in the forum and see what others have recommended/done and go from there.
I think you’re 100% right. I’ve always soaked my stones, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. Especially if it’s a combo stone. I know I’ve stopped doing it.

Either way, sorry for rambling. Congrats on your stones - use em in good health!

Very cool stone holder design for lapping I’d probably go 400 or 600 on the w/d. 1000 will burnish the surface a bit which may slow the stones down.

I must say the Atoma 400 is a godsend. I used an acrylic plate for a while but I burned through a ton of w/d. The Atoma is like a never ending sheet of w/d.

I have a Naniwa lapper I’m not a fan but if you want it, it’s yours for the cost of shipping.

Very cool stone holder design for lapping I’d probably go 400 or 600 on the w/d. 1000 will burnish the surface a bit which may slow the stones down.

I must say the Atoma 400 is a godsend. I used an acrylic plate for a while but I burned through a ton of w/d. The Atoma is like a never ending sheet of w/d.

I have a Naniwa lapper I’m not a fan but if you want it, it’s yours for the cost of shipping.

600 is what is used, probably could have gone 400 just as easily. Atoma would be nice, but will have to wait a bit for one of those.

I’ll take the Naniwa lapper for sure - almost added one to my order in fact.

220x & 320x w/d paper on a proven-to-be-flat surface will work best usually. Finer papers are much slower and the surface they leave can impede the stones cutting abilities. For a substrate, many counter tops and tiles are not that flat. They will work in the sense that they will be a substrate but they will leave a surface that matches how out of flat they are. Some glass plates are 'flat enough' though. Most lapping stones need to be lapped, so that's always been a point to consider.

220x & 320x w/d paper on a proven-to-be-flat surface will work best usually. Finer papers are much slower and the surface they leave can impede the stones cutting abilities. For a substrate, many counter tops and tiles are not that flat. They will work in the sense that they will be a substrate but they will leave a surface that matches how out of flat they are. Some glass plates are 'flat enough' though. Most lapping stones need to be lapped, so that's always been a point to consider.
Yup I lapped I lapped the Naniwa flattening stone for him on the Atoma but it would be good to check it again upon receipt.

One disappointing thing with the Naniwa is lack of a decent storage box. Shaptop korumaku come with a nice storage box.

I fixed that issue - color coded even.

Attachments

• 20190425_172402.jpg
    20190425_172402.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190425_172505.jpg
    20190425_172505.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Top Bottom