What's new

Naniwa 12k warp ?

Looking closer at the picture, I'm wondering if the stone actually is warped or if it’s a poor lapping job?
It’s definitely warped. I’ve only lapped and honed on the surface that’s facing up in the pictures. I’d lap until I could fully remove a pencil grid in 5-10 laps before honing.

The bottom surface against the granite tile is untouched.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I got a Naniwa SS 12k a few weeks ago and have used it maybe 5 times since then. Now it’s warped like a banana 🙄

View attachment 1593962

View attachment 1593963

Is there anything I can do other than glueing it to a tile and lapping the crap out of it to get it flat again? Looks like I’d have to remove a few mm of material to flatten it.
Turn it over and you’ve got yourself a nice convex stone. 😎

That’s wild. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one warp that badly.

I think you mean Snow White, not Lily White.
I'm sure someone out there has owned Nanis and never had an issue.
But Naniwa stones Warping, crazing, and cracking has been an issue for a long time.
I've had several full sets of Super Stones and Specialty Stones - no issues until about 5 years ago when I first saw warping. My first two sets of Super Stones were problem free for the time I owned them.
Around 5-6 years ago, several Chosera/Pro stones were starting to craze and crack.
Following that, several Super Stones and Speciality Stones proved to be unusable due to warping.
Never had issues with either Snow White, the 4k Finishing stone, Falcons and Fujis. The Arata and Hibiki were fine too.

If I had to guesstimate, probably 15-20% of the Nani's I've owned had catastrophic issues.

Regardless of the Even so - I have have had too many Naniwa stones with issues.
I realize this thread is over a year old but has anyone ever tried to hold the vendor of mfg libel for the warping or cracking of these stones.

An update on this: the vendor is replacing the stone. Hopefully the new one stays a little flatter. I think I’ll go for a Shapton Glass rather than Naniwa next time.
Glad you're getting replacement. If.youve not sent it back already try soaking it in warm water for like 15 to 30 minutes as an experiment. I got this advice and it works well.

I realize this thread is over a year old but has anyone ever tried to hold the vendor of mfg libel for the warping or cracking of these stones.
I had a Chosera 1k that was crazing quite badly and the vendor replaced it. Unfortunately, it crazed also but not as badly. The 12k I have now was purchased 2nd hand so there's no warranty.

Glad you're getting replacement. If.youve not sent it back already try soaking it in warm water for like 15 to 30 minutes as an experiment. I got this advice and it works well.
I’ve already got my replacement stone, so maybe I’ll try this with my new one.

The warp is less with my new one but it’s still there. I’ve discovered that letting is dry on its edge so that both faces dry out at the same rate goes a long way to keeping it flat.

I can also influence the warp by wetting one face and letting it sit with the wet face against my workbench for 10 minutes before letting it dry on edge. The wet side will expand slightly, so if the warp is like a dish that’s the face I wet.

I just need to glue it to a tile and be done with all this messing around.

Top Bottom