What's new

Naniwa 12k warp ?

I have been using my 4 year old Naniwa 12k more extensively than before as I hone two or three razors per week. A gold dollar or an ebay razor on any day to practice my honing

My final stone is the Naniwa 12k where I do about 20 laps per razor.

After I put the stone away and take it out a day or two later for use, I lap it with the diamond DMT coarse plate as recommended.

Being a splash and go , I lap it under a small trickle of tap water.

The stone seems pretty warped and needs considerable work to get flat again in the center. It's frightening to see so much warp and the amount of stone which needs to be lapped away from the two ends :(

Is this normal considering I hardly do 20 laps or so on it at a time and put it away.

No such issues with the chosera 400 or 1k considering they get used much more per session, the soaked 4k/8k Norton also seems flat needing minimum lapping.

Any inputs appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you lapping the stone under running water?

I do use an Atoma 1200 on my stones to develop a slurry, but once flattened the first time, it only takes a few strokes.

When you wet the stone, it will adjust somewhat as it absorbs water. Lapping it under running water should get it flat. The 12K is a very hard stone, so doing 20 laps to finish an edge should remove very little abrasive from the stone. If you are using it every few days, you might wipe off excess water and then store the stone in a plastic bag to prevent evaporation. I would not suggest storing the stone for long periods of time in a plastic bag as you could develop mold, but that should not be a problem if you use it routinely.

I will wait for others to chime in, but I am very surprised that you 12K needs lapping every time.

I think the Japanese instruction said you should soak it a few minutes in luke warm water to stabilise it. After that you should need to remove less stone to flatten it.
I just glued mine to a slate I cut to fit. I just didn't want to deal with it:)

Last edited:

It's the 10 mm speciality stone from 2017.

41g6eKXhSoL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I have the thicker 20 mm professional superstones. I have never had an issue with warping with them. The 10 mm stones might be another issue. The 20 mm stones are more expensive, but if you keep having an issue with warpage on the 10 mm stone, either get a base for it (slate, glass, marble or granite) or get one of the thicker stones.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Try lapping it after your honing session not before. The idea is to lap the stone in the state that it’s being used. The next time that you use it, wet the surface for 5-10 minutes (to simulate honing use) then check the flatness.

If all else fails, epoxy it it to a flat piece of tile or glass. Or get a Shapton glass Stone ….

I had 2x 20mm "thicker" ones warp. I'm not convinced thickness makes much of a difference.

I think the choices are to ignore the warping, get rid of the stone, lap it frequently, or glue it to a supportive layer.

My 12k SS was, possibly still is, severely problematic. It would not lap flat, it was warping while lapping it. I finally got it to a place where it was ok but I do not trust it. I would use it for cutlery without issue and I don't use synths above 5k for razors too ofter so it's not a big deal. If it is warped the next time I take it out I'll probably toss it, I have zero patience for stones that make life harder.

I think the Japanese instruction said you should soak it a few minutes in luke warm water to stabilise it. After that you should need to remove less stone to flatten it.
I just glued mine to a slate I cut to fit. I just didn't want to deal with it:)
I've used this advice. Luke warm water made a tremendous difference. I dip it for a few minutes along with my Norton 4k/8k it needs next to no lapping now. Thank you so much for the advice.

I have been using my 4 year old Naniwa 12k more extensively than before as I hone two or three razors per week. A gold dollar or an ebay razor on any day to practice my honing

After I put the stone away and take it out a day or two later for use, I lap it with the diamond DMT coarse plate as recommended.

The stone seems pretty warped and needs considerable work to get flat again in the center. It's frightening to see so much warp and the amount of stone which needs to be lapped away from the two ends :(

Is this normal considering I hardly do 20 laps or so on it at a time and put it away.

No such issues with the chosera 400 or 1k considering they get used much more per session, the soaked 4k/8k Norton also seems flat needing minimum lapping.

Any inputs appreciated.
I’m having the same issue and I think they all warp. Last time I actually soaked the 12K for about 5 minutes and then lapped with a DMT 325. So far so good but I only did this a couple weeks. In the long run it may warp again but it’s working so far. I’m far from an expert. Information on these stones is extremely difficult to come by for whatever reasons.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I’m having the same issue and I think they all warp. Last time I actually soaked the 12K for about 5 minutes and then lapped with a DMT 325. So far so good but I only did this a couple weeks. In the long run it may warp again but it’s working so far. I’m far from an expert. Information on these stones is extremely difficult to come by for whatever reasons.
20221014_225413.jpg

JB Weld and a ceramic tile.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I had 2x 20mm "thicker" ones warp. I'm not convinced thickness makes much of a difference.

I think the choices are to ignore the warping, get rid of the stone, lap it frequently, or glue it to a supportive layer.
Or get an arkansas stone.

~doug~

Any inputs appreciated.
I had the same issue with the 12000. I soaked it for about 5 minutes and then lapped it. So far so good. I did this about a month ago. I’m not going to purchase anymore 10 mm Naniwa super stones because of the warping issue. I have some 20 mm stones and I haven’t had the issue. Every 10 mm I’ve owned has warped.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I had the same issue with the 12000. I soaked it for about 5 minutes and then lapped it. So far so good. I did this about a month ago. I’m not going to purchase anymore 10 mm Naniwa super stones because of the warping issue. I have some 20 mm stones and I haven’t had the issue. Every 10 mm I’ve owned has warped.
Unless it's an arkansas I make sure my rocks are at least 20mm thick.

~doug~

Top Bottom