What's new

Nancy Boy

• Thread starter PortsmouthDavid
  • Start date
P

PortsmouthDavid

Gents --

I had my first shave with Nancy Boy shaving cream today.

I guess I'm going to have to join the choir in support of this product. I got a wonderfully smooth shave, without irritation. Just exceptional.

It's hard to tell after just one shave, but it seems to me that it has more cushion that the Trumpers or Taylors products I've tried. I was a little apprehensive about the peppermint (because I have insanely sensitive skin), but I had no problems. In fact, the peppermint gives it kind of a pleasant cooling feeling. I really think this could be the best shave cream I've tried.

I used the Nancy Boy with my favorite set up -

1) 1940s Gillette Aristocrat

2) Brand new Swedish Gillette blade

3) Shower before shaving (used Nancy Boy soap - also very nice)

4) Hot-water soak my beard at the sink

5) Lather up the Nancy Boy with my silvertip brush (someone gave it to me years ago, and I don't know the brand, but it's a great item).

Man - oh man. I really get what all the fuss is about. Nancy Boy shave cream just does a fabulous job. It's clearly going to join my rotation, and I may retire some of my English creams in favor of it.

Just great stuff. Everyone who is into wet shaving should try Nancy Boy.

David

ditto..Nancy Boy makes an amazing product at a excellent price..

Everyone should have NB in their rotation.

Great company to deal with too

Just got my NB today, haven't tried it yet. I was wondering how it performs with a brush? I know it was designed as a brushless cream, and there seems to be a lot of mixed opinion about whether or not it performs well with a brush.
Warm regards,
Alex

P

PortsmouthDavid

AJS said:
Just got my NB today, haven't tried it yet. I was wondering how it performs with a brush? I know it was designed as a brushless cream, and there seems to be a lot of mixed opinion about whether or not it performs well with a brush.
Warm regards,
Alex

No problem using a brush with Nancy Boy.

It produces a lovely, voluminous lather.

Although it wasn't evidently specifically designed as a brush cream, it whips up nicely (unlike some brushless products that are essentially just a lubricant and won't lather no matter what you do).

Also, I was expecting, based on some comments, to have to use a whole bunch of Nancy Boy to get a decent lather, but in fact I didn't use any more than any other shave cream (the three "T's" for example). I just swirled the brush in the tub and then worked the lather in a bowl.

So this was an entirely satisfactory lathering experience, and again, an EXCEPTIONAL shave.

David

PortsmouthDavid said:
Gents --

I had my first shave with Nancy Boy shaving cream today.

I guess I'm going to have to join the choir in support of this product. I got a wonderfully smooth shave, without irritation. Just exceptional.

It's hard to tell after just one shave, but it seems to me that it has more cushion that the Trumpers or Taylors products I've tried. I was a little apprehensive about the peppermint (because I have insanely sensitive skin), but I had no problems. In fact, the peppermint gives it kind of a pleasant cooling feeling. I really think this could be the best shave cream I've tried.

I used the Nancy Boy with my favorite set up -

1) 1940s Gillette Aristocrat

2) Brand new Swedish Gillette blade

3) Shower before shaving (used Nancy Boy soap - also very nice)

4) Hot-water soak my beard at the sink

5) Lather up the Nancy Boy with my silvertip brush (someone gave it to me years ago, and I don't know the brand, but it's a great item).

Man - oh man. I really get what all the fuss is about. Nancy Boy shave cream just does a fabulous job. It's clearly going to join my rotation, and I may retire some of my English creams in favor of it.

Just great stuff. Everyone who is into wet shaving should try Nancy Boy.

David

David,

You are probably not too early at all in your assessment of this top notch shave cream. Nancy Boy shave cream has easily moved into the #1 place in my rotation of creams and soaps. My previous favorites were Taylor's Rose and Trumper's Violet, and now that I have discovered NB cream, I have to make myself use the Taylor's and Trumper's. That's how much I like NB! :biggrin:

I too have sensitive skin when it comes to certain cosmetic ingredients, especially menthol, so I was kind of unsure whether it would work out in the long run. I have used NB day after day with NO irritation whatsoever! Not only that, but if I try another cream or soap that irritates my skin, the next day I go with NB and it calms it right down. I always wanted a shave cream with a "cooling" effect but had given up on it due my menthol sensitivity. I also find NB to be the most cushioning and protective cream I have ever tried, without exception.

I have tried it brushless [just to see how it would perform] and it is nowhere near close to the quality of the rich, lubricious, luxurious cream you can produce with a good [silvertip] brush. The lather produced by NB is not as light and airy as Trumper's or Taylor's, but is more like a richly thickened cream, which I much prefer over "foamy" lather.

Nancy Boy is now the standard by which I judge other creams to see which ones will end up as a keeper in my rotation. I am now looking only for other creams that perform as well or better than NB. Their other product I "can't live without" is their bath bars...my favorite scent being Tea Rose. It lathers like nothing else I have ever used, leaves my skin feeling moisturized and clean...what more is there?

The folks at NB have indicated that there will most likely be additional fragrances available in the shave cream at some point in the future, however no target date was given. By the way, I am in no way associated with NB, I just happen to love a couple of their products! :cool:

I hate to be a dissenter here amongst the NB "sycophants" (for you, Scotto), but this cream does not float my boat. I have a hard time lathering it, the lubrication is pretty crappy as in I can't go over the same spot twice - once the razor passes by a desert is left behind. The After Shave balm really stings me too as it goes on. I am holding onto it for the moment and will try it every so often to see if it gets any better. I have had about a dozen shaves with it with high hopes each time.

Dennis

Mike02 said:
I hate to be a dissenter here amongst the NB "sycophants" (for you, Scotto), but this cream does not float my boat. I have a hard time lathering it, the lubrication is pretty crappy as in I can't go over the same spot twice - once the razor passes by a desert is left behind. The After Shave balm really stings me too as it goes on. I am holding onto it for the moment and will try it every so often to see if it gets any better. I have had about a dozen shaves with it with high hopes each time.

Dennis

I understand that there are probably as many NB dissenters as there are NB "sycophants". This cream is definitely one of those YMMV products. For those who just can't stand the stuff...I'm here to help you...just drop it in a box and ship it to: "NB Sycophants Club, c/o PottyDoctor........." :biggrin:

PottyDoctor said:
I understand that there are probably as many NB dissenters as there are NB "sycophants". This cream is definitely one of those YMMV products. For those who just can't stand the stuff...I'm here to help you...just drop it in a box and ship it to: "NB Sycophants Club, c/o PottyDoctor........." :biggrin:
You know, the thing is that I don't have a problem with most other creams. I will choose C&E Sweet Almond, Taylor Avocado or even Tom's of Maine Mint over NB any day in my experience so far. I'll keep that postal address in mind though... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dennis

Just for clarity, I think NB is a very good cream, but it can be a pain in the *** to lather well. It cannot hold as much water as other creams, and has a tendency to "run out" (turn into watery drool) if you add too much. I find myself altering my lathering procedure with it, which I have never had to do with any of the other 30 or so creams in my rotation.

Mike (or Dennis, or whatever your name is :rolleyes: ), try shaking out almost all the water from your brush, add the cream, and add back just enough water to make a decent lather. That is what I have to do with my water here.

Howdy Folks, I just joined the B&B Today! As for the Nancy Boy cream, I have also found that it is becoming my go to cream, especially when my mug is feeling a little tender from trying a lesser cream the day before or just over shaving like a idiot! I hope the rumors of new flavors coming soon are true. Cheers, DJ.

Scotto said:
Just for clarity, I think NB is a very good cream, but it can be a pain in the *** to lather well. It cannot hold as much water as other creams, and has a tendency to "run out" (turn into watery drool) if you add too much. I find myself altering my lathering procedure with it, which I have never had to do with any of the other 30 or so creams in my rotation.

Mike (or Dennis, or whatever your name is :rolleyes: ), try shaking out almost all the water from your brush, add the cream, and add back just enough water to make a decent lather. That is what I have to do with my water here.

Right on my man! :thumbup:

Er,.........maybe all I need to do is to alter my lathering procedure for my other creams and they would perform like NB! It takes some of us a little longer to catch on than others I guess??? :confused:

I still love NB as one of my top 2 creams right now, but I noticed that with some brushes I have to use a LOT of the cream to get a decent lather, no matter how little water I start with in the brush. Kinda annoying, but I'm willing to put up with it because when I do get the best lather from NB, it's fantastic, smells great, and always gives good shave.

It is definitely in the top 2 or 3 with me. I have never had a bad shave with
NB.

I still cannot figure out how everyone needs to use more of the NB shavecream than other creams to get a good lather. Maybe I am just lucky in that I can get as good, if not better, lather using the same amount as with Taylor's, Trumpers, or T&H. And no, I don't use a lot of shave cream with those others, either. I am a true miser when it comes to the initial dab of the brush, but I still have plenty of lather left over for a few more passes.

now if there were only some way to save the leftover lather . . . :tongue_sm

NYLaw said:
I still love NB as one of my top 2 creams right now, but I noticed that with some brushes I have to use a LOT of the cream to get a decent lather, no matter how little water I start with in the brush. Kinda annoying, but I'm willing to put up with it because when I do get the best lather from NB, it's fantastic, smells great, and always gives good shave.

I normally use my ShaveMac 22579 Silvertip to lather with the NB. Together they produce more than enough lather for three to four passes with cream left over, and I use no more NB cream to begin creating lather than I do with my Taylor and Trumper. Now when I try to use my C&E Pure Badger by Eddwin Jagger with NB [or the 2 T's], it takes 50% more cream to produce the same amount of lather. Maybe it's just me, but I am partial to my Silvertip!

Top Bottom