What's new

Nancy Boy Shaving Cream

I really like the NB shaving cream, probably in part because it was my first really decent quality cream purchase, and I have the most familiarity with it. I've used it brushless while traveling, and it honestly shaved very well that way, though I did use pretty forgiving razors (Gillette Lady's TTO with a Merkur blade, and a J1 Injector with personna blades).

I generally strong scents, so the very mild, and quickly disapating NB original suits me well. I do wish that shipping was cheaper, but I may eventually just buy $50 worth and be done with it.

Its possible that C&E and Musko shave as well or better for me, but they smell stronger, and they certainly aren't significantly better, at least with my cheap brush.

I emailed NB about directions since I wasn't sure whether they recommended using the facial cleanser pre-shave (I bought the travel combo), and I have to say that they promptly responded in great detail and were VERY pleasant to deal with.

Just got an order of NB cream and aftershave gel today. Not too sure about the aftershave, but the cream was fantastic - got my best shave so far with it. It lathered up very quick and made the blade glide a lot smoother than the Proraso I've been using. Not as much of a difference than the AOS Sandlewood I got yesterday, but enough to tell it was a better shave. Definately try it if you havent.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I've been like a vulture around this forum the last month or so, gathering as much information as I can to become acclamated to DE shaving. (I'm 23-years-old and have been shaving with an electric for around seven years.)

With that said, I purchased a Merkur HD 3 piece razor set (complete with badger brush and stand) from menessentials.com about a month ago. I have just begun to get BBS shaves (employing the proper razor angle, pressure, preparation, and using Israeli Personna blades).

I started using Nancy Boy shaving cream based on positive reviews from members of this forum as well as menessentials.com posters. My problem with the cream is that I can never get the lather to stay effective throughout my entire shave. More specifically, I lather the cream in a bowl with my badger brush and, by my third pass, the cream's texture is thin and runny—making it useless. It isn't that the cream is too wet or dry (I have played with the water: cream ratio and have found a happy medium), but that the cream itself just seems to evaporate after a couple of passes.

Comparatively, I recently purchased a green tube of Proraso cream and have been able to make four passes on my face with loads of lather left to spare.

Any experience with Nancy Boy or suggestions on how to hold the lather throughout the shave? Does the lather dissipate because the cream is essentially meant to be used without a brush?

Thanks guys,
Brandon

i've had similar problems occasionally with various creams. basically what i do is just give a couple swirls around the bowl with the brush before i start the second or third lathering. i don't always have to do this, and i'm doing it less often as i get better at generating the lather initially.

Brandon,

I love the NB Cream as well; it is in my top 3 list for sure. I've found it takes slightly more cream to start with than some other creams...and for me it's worth it to experience the luxurious, creamy, moisturizing lather that NB produces. I also give it a few extra stirs after each pass and it seems to thicken back up just great.

Have you tried their new NB Replenishing Shave Cream, the cucumber/melon scent that they've just released? I've been waiting for some feedback from a few folks who have tried it. It is the same formula but with the addition of the cucumber distillate. Sounds like a really clean smell.

Ron,

I have not tried their new shave cream yet, but it sounds like I might like it more than their original (being a fan of cucumber over peppermint).

I, too, have found that it takes a little more cream than other brands to generate lather. I usually employ your method of stirring the cream before each pass as well.

Do you find that Nancy Boy dries up faster than other creams you've tried?

Thanks,
Brandon

Ron,

I have not tried their new shave cream yet, but it sounds like I might like it more than their original (being a fan of cucumber over peppermint).

I, too, have found that it takes a little more cream than other brands to generate lather. I usually employ your method of stirring the cream before each pass as well.

Do you find that Nancy Boy dries up faster than other creams you've tried?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon,

The NB might dry slightly faster than other creams. However, I even use a mug warmer to keep my huge latte mixing cup hot between passes and I don't see any excessive drying. I do sometimes add a few extra drops of water but I think that's due to the heat of the mug warmer.

At first I had mixed reactions to the fragrances of the Signature Scent, but continued use converted me to the point that I really like it. And it is one of the only 'mint' creams I am able to use without irritation. Anything with menthol lights my face up like a torch, but fortunately the peppermint causes no reaction. The scent does remind me somewhat of the Noxema skin/beauty cream that my mother used when I was a kid.

I really love most of the cucumber scents I've experienced and really look forward to trying their latest offering when I submit my next order. In addition, they only offer it in the 'travel size', 1.5 oz packaging at this time; not really a great value.

I purchased the NB shaving cream and AS and they are great products. I must use the Proraso pre-shave with them or my Progress will not slide very well.

The scents are fantastic, not overpowering, but just right.

Brandon,

The NB might dry slightly faster than other creams. However, I even use a mug warmer to keep my huge latte mixing cup hot between passes and I don't see any excessive drying. I do sometimes add a few extra drops of water but I think that's due to the heat of the mug warmer.

At first I had mixed reactions to the fragrances of the Signature Scent, but continued use converted me to the point that I really like it. And it is one of the only 'mint' creams I am able to use without irritation. Anything with menthol lights my face up like a torch, but fortunately the peppermint causes no reaction. The scent does remind me somewhat of the Noxema skin/beauty cream that my mother used when I was a kid.

I really love most of the cucumber scents I've experienced and really look forward to trying their latest offering when I submit my next order. In addition, they only offer it in the 'travel size', 1.5 oz packaging at this time; not really a great value.

Today, I actually used Nancy Boy with a brush, but instead of using a bowl to lather the cream, I generated lather on my face. Using this method, I was able to generate enough lather for three passes on my badger brush, adjusting the water: cream ratio as needed before each pass.

For me, judging from this initial "test," I prefer lathering Nancy Boy on my face. Any experience, Ron?

Thanks,
Brandon

Today, I actually used Nancy Boy with a brush, but instead of using a bowl to lather the cream, I generated lather on my face. Using this method, I was able to generate enough lather for three passes on my badger brush, adjusting the water: cream ratio as needed before each pass.

For me, judging from this initial "test," I prefer lathering Nancy Boy on my face. Any experience, Ron?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon,

I've not tried lathering NB directly on my face with a brush. I've always worked up a nice rich lather in my latte mug and love it that way. I have lathered some soaps directly on my face with pretty good sucess. I have tried NB brushless a couple of times and did not care for it in that fashion at all. Lathering with a brush is my favorite part of a luxurious shave!

The NB Replenishing Cream showed up on my porch this weekend and I had a Sunday morning shave with it today. It performs equal to the Signature Scent, which is one of my top three creams. The cucumber scent is not my cup of tea. I had forgotten just how much I dislike the the cucumber scent. I'm glad I only bought some travel size jars, because the scent is one of those I cannot stomach.

Now if you're a cucumber lover, then this stuff is 'right on' as far as the cucumber scent is concerned, and you will no doubt love it! I guess, for some strange reason, I thought it might have more of a 'melon' scent...silly me! :eek:

SAVE_20210926_190515.jpg

Anybody knows from a vendor where I can purchase the Nancy boy shaving creams?

Nancy boy don't ship internationally and I've no experience regarding the mail forwarding service.

View attachment 1334671

Anybody knows from a vendor where I can purchase the Nancy boy shaving creams?

Nancy boy don't ship internationally and I've no experience regarding the mail forwarding service.
My understanding is that they don't distribute to other vendors. You'll have to either use a professional forwarding service or find someone who will take delivery and then forward it on to you.

Top Bottom