What's new

Nancy Boy Replenishing

B

BrightFutur

I've always been a die hard fan of the NB Signature cream - It's scent is pleasant (Much better in the soap <3) but the shaves have been superb. I shave with other creams and I say to myself 'I love the scent, but it just doesn't shave like Nancy Boy.'

So earlier this week my package from NB came, its contents included a tub of Nancy Boy Shaving Cream, this time in the replenishing scent.

New favourite shaving cream, hands down. It shaves just like the signature, but I cannot get enough of the smell. It smells exactly like cucumbers. It doesn't smell like 'an approximation of cucumbers' or 'the idea of cucumbers', it smells like some nice cold cucumbers fresh out of the fridge and cut. I find that when I lather it, a few citrus notes emerge, which make it smell just like a good cucumber salad (I hate cucumber salad, by the way. But I can't get enough of this smell). In my mind it's the embodiment of two common adjectives applied to cream/soap/as scents: 'fresh' and 'clean'

When I shave, I find myself waving the brush by my nose constantly, sometimes i kind of stab it at my nose to get some of the cream inside my nostrils. I sometimes smell my lather mug after I finish shaving. I smell the jar every time I'm in the bathroom. If I could change one thing about it, I would make the scent even stronger. I feel like I need to be so close to it to smell it.

But yeah, long story short, I'm in love. Anyone else?

Haven't tried it yet but it's been added to my to-do list.

Did you find any issue with lathering the NB cream. I heard that it takes a little more care and skill to generate a decent lather with them.

B

BrightFutur

I've found that the best way to lather it is on my face, with a brush. I just get a (What do you call it? A snurdle? Something like that) unit of shaving cream on a nice hot wet brush and face lather. As a result you get an incredibly, dense, slick lather with very little air in it.

It lathers in a bowl/mug just fine, just keep in mind that your end result is going to be a little more dense and less airy than some other lathers. I found that I was getting the same lather that I could on my face. I eventually just decided to cut the bowl phase right out.

I can get MWF to lather fairly easily.
I can turn most any stubborn puck to lather.
I can swirl most any cream to rich luxuriousness.
I can get a QED shave stick to foam up into warm comfort.

Nancy Boy is one that is its own category. It lathers oddly, so people recommend you don't use a brush. Brushless. Yes, you smear it into your face. For the life of me, I cannot get a lather approximating anything you'd want between you and a sharp steel blade. Not rich. Not dense. Just a lifeless smearly film.

Nancy Boy, in short, is the most over-rated and over-hyped shaving cream in existence today. YMMV

ps: it smells nice

The cucumber cream is THE BEST for summer shaving.

I have used this cream (and the Signature), mixing it in a bowl with brush and get perfect lather every time. I have used it brushless and had difficulties.

Enjoy!

It is a great cream and is very close to being the first product I have used until it is all gone. But you better really like cucumbers.

Love it, get weird but great lather with it using a brush, and it leaves my face feeling completely awesome. I love cukes, and this stuff makes me want to eat salad every time I use it. The Replen balm is great too, smells exactly like the cream. Word of caution though...a little goes a long way, and also do NOT apply over any alcohol-based splash, as the alcohol does...something odd...to the balm. You end up with these little lumpy boogery bits all over the place. It's best applied as a pea-sized dab cut with some Thayer's Cucumber witch hazel. Kinda like 444 balm, you need to thin it out a bit to avoid stickyface.

B

BrightFutur

Love it, get weird but great lather with it using a brush, and it leaves my face feeling completely awesome. I love cukes, and this stuff makes me want to eat salad every time I use it. The Replen balm is great too, smells exactly like the cream. Word of caution though...a little goes a long way, and also do NOT apply over any alcohol-based splash, as the alcohol does...something odd...to the balm. You end up with these little lumpy boogery bits all over the place. It's best applied as a pea-sized dab cut with some Thayer's Cucumber witch hazel. Kinda like 444 balm, you need to thin it out a bit to avoid stickyface.

I'll have to pick up some of the replenishing balm. I used the cooling ASB for a while and noticed that a little does go a long way. I still havn't gotten over the cream.

It is a great cream and is very close to being the first product I have used until it is all gone. But you better really like cucumbers.

I have the signature cream and the replenishing ASB, and the scent of the latter is dead on "cucumbery." Perhaps I'll pick up some of the replenishing shaving cream next time I order.

Did you find any issue with lathering the NB cream. I heard that it takes a little more care and skill to generate a decent lather with them.

I have found NB to be the easiest lathering cream of any that I have tried. Face lathering works best for me. It is a very thick dense cream.

I can get MWF to lather fairly easily.
I can turn most any stubborn puck to lather.
I can swirl most any cream to rich luxuriousness.
I can get a QED shave stick to foam up into warm comfort.

Nancy Boy is one that is its own category. It lathers oddly, so people recommend you don't use a brush. Brushless. Yes, you smear it into your face. For the life of me, I cannot get a lather approximating anything you'd want between you and a sharp steel blade. Not rich. Not dense. Just a lifeless smearly film.

Nancy Boy, in short, is the most over-rated and over-hyped shaving cream in existence today. YMMV

ps: it smells nice

Wow, thats really to bad. I wonder if it's possible that you got a bad jar of cream. Your results don't seem typical at all.

I find the exact opposite to be true: it's the easiest cream I have. It's designed to be used brushless, but I always use a brush. Just add less water than you would with another cream. I think it's the most cushioning cream I've tried.

For me, Nancy Boy doesn't really change very much during lathering compared to most of the standards. I need to use a bit more than other creams, and it doesn't easily fluff up with water or air, but remains very dense and pudding like. I face lather, essentially working it just until I'm happy with the amount of water added into it for the consistency I want - and then I go at it.

Recently, with my undivided love for AOS shaving soap, I am using my two NB creams as a superlather to give a pleasant smell to the unscented AOS puck I have. This works great, too, but I often make way more shaving cream than I can really use.

Like the Signature and Love the cucumber!

Roger

Top Bottom