What's new

Namiki Vanishing Point - Didn't realize what this was worth!

After reading some posts here about fountain pens a couple of years ago, I started getting interested in getting one (or several). Coincidentally about that same time, a coworker advertised a fountain pen for $10.

I responded and she said it was one her ex-boyfriend gave her when she graduated college. She never used it and just wanted to get rid of it. She also said she knew it was worth more than $10.

I bought it and have been using it as my daily pen at work since then, except for two months when I lost it (I was SO happy when I found it!!). I decided to see just how much more it was worth. What I found shocked me! Here's a used one, identical to what I have, that had an asking price of $205

http://www.dannzeman.com/2013/02/16/for-sale-blue-namiki-capless-faceted-fountain-pen/

I guess I'll have to start taking better care of this. My wife said I should sell mine, but no way, I love it too much.

Last edited:
I lost a vanishing point somewhere in my basement, the real problem was, it wasnt mine :/, I still lose sleep over it

That's a great score! I have been using a Namiki VP early and often since I bought mine in 1998. I love the pen, so much so that it has fueled my desire to acquire more fountain pens...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I lost a vanishing point somewhere in my basement, the real problem was, it wasnt mine :/, I still lose sleep over it
You are using it wrong ... only the nib is supposed to vanish.

Not the whole pen.

I bought it and have been using it as my daily pen at work since then, except for two months when I lost it (I was SO happy when I found it!!). I decided to see just how much more it was worth. What I found shocked me! Here's a used one, identical to what I have, that had an asking price of $205

http://www.dannzeman.com/2013/02/16/for-sale-blue-namiki-capless-faceted-fountain-pen/

The price is a bit higher than the current suggested retail version because that is the original push button model. The first versions were a twist model. The model you have was discontinuted in December 1994. When it was reintroduced in October of 1999 the clip was changed to what you see today. So your version is a rare version that is no longer available making it more valuable.

:lol: The ultimate Vanishing point. I guarantee you that thing is down the inside of a couch or something. You'll find it one day, or you won't. Either way, definitely don't lose sleep over it. Lost fountain pens tend to show up when you least expect to find them, especially if they're somewhere inside your home.

-Andy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
:lol: The ultimate Vanishing point. I guarantee you that thing is down the inside of a couch or something. You'll find it one day, or you won't. Either way, definitely don't lose sleep over it. Lost fountain pens tend to show up when you least expect to find them, especially if they're somewhere inside your home.

-Andy

Lost fountain pens tend to show up a month or two after you have ordered the replacement.

The price is a bit higher than the current suggested retail version because that is the original push button model. The first versions were a twist model. The model you have was discontinuted in December 1994. When it was reintroduced in October of 1999 the clip was changed to what you see today. So your version is a rare version that is no longer available making it more valuable.

I'm torn....take the profit or keep on using it. I do know if I weren't going to use it, I'd sell it. The option of putting it away in my drawer because of its value is not an option. I still have the original box and it I can't find any scratches or marks on it, surprisingly. Then again, I love using it and it makes a great work pen because it's easier to click the button than to put a cap on and off while I'm in a meeting taking notes.

I'll likely keep it, but the resale value does me me think.

I'm torn....take the profit or keep on using it. I do know if I weren't going to use it, I'd sell it. The option of putting it away in my drawer because of its value is not an option. I still have the original box and it I can't find any scratches or marks on it, surprisingly. Then again, I love using it and it makes a great work pen because it's easier to click the button than to put a cap on and off while I'm in a meeting taking notes.

Stop thinking and enjoy it.I think you will regret getting rid of it.

-Andy

Don't lose sleep, It's not even my pen and it bothers me.

Stop thinking and enjoy it.I think you will regret getting rid of it.

I totally agree with this. Owning that pen is incredibly good fortune, and it cost you practically nothing. Money certainly isn't everything, especially if you like the pen.

-Andy

Last edited:

Give it a rest, use it and enjoy it. I have a Pilot M90. $160 when purchased but it now sells for $500 on Ebay, use it all the time and would not think of selling it. Pens are meant to be used, not put away just because they have value.

I will be keeping it. I'd never pay $200 for one of these, but now that I have one, I don't want to give it up.

Use it and enjoy it! :D I don't have a pen that I wouldn't use. I don't have any worth $200 but I use all of them anyways. I think along the same thought with kitchen knives.

My knife and stones when in my Jeep are worth more than the Jeep but I use them all!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Give it a rest, use it and enjoy it. I have a Pilot M90. $160 when purchased but it now sells for $500 on Ebay, use it all the time and would not think of selling it. Pens are meant to be used, not put away just because they have value.

I agree with the "use it" sentiment, and will only add ...

... use it in a manner befitting its value. Treat it like a valued heirloom, and it may well end up that way for your grandkids. Show me a fifty-cent Bic disposable,and I'll show you a pen I chew the end of ... or rather, don't mind loaning to Johnnie the Pen End Chewer. But Johnnie never gets to set his chompers on my VP.

Top Bottom