What's new

Name the soaps whose scents can rank as masterpieces?

Two scents jump out at me as head and shoulders above everything else:

Barrister and Mann - Beaudelaire
Chatillon Lux - Yuzu / Rose / Patchouli

I'm not sure about masterpieces I'll reserve that for colognes.

MDC Fougere - Closest to a masterfully put together scent in a shave soap so far for me.
MDC Vetiver
SV Colonia & Felce Aromatica
Nuavia Blu and Verde
Original AOS Sandalwood & the Lavender back when they used real essential oils.
Mike's Natural Barbershop is my favorite barbershop scent so far with Ghost Town Barber and Stirling bringing up the rear.
WSP Olympus which to me is the closest to real Creed Aventus.
Oleo Soapworks Shiloh. Vidas take on ADP works well with the real cologne.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In the 1950's and early 60's, I stayed at my grandmother's place a lot, which always smelled of clove. She chewed (rather gummed) Bazooka Gum and clove sticks all day while rolling and chain smoking cigs. I loved staying there, which is why I find the scent of clove calming. I keep a puck (or two) of Ogallala Bay Rum shave soap on hand, sometimes for shaving and sometimes for showering.
Don't you just love the sense of smell?

That's why I consider "Arko" a "masterpiece".... It reminds me of childhood.

For a fragrance to deserve accolade such as "masterpiece" I expect it to be polarizing. I don't consider crowd pleasers worthy of notice.

Tabac is closest to fit this criteria. It's complex, unique, bold, develops with use, has staying power, iconic, polarizing.

Last interesting scent I enjoyed was OAK shaving cream. It was nice, pleasant, enjoyable... forgetful.

I'm waiting for DR Harris soaps to arrive, I'll see how they fair, I'm guessing more in the line of people pleasers.

MdC Fougere, because it's invigorating, lively and not overpowering.
Vintage Old Spice, if you can find a puck which still has its scent, because it's Old Spice.

+1! You have great taste Sir! MdC is a classic IMO. :a14::a14:

Good luck finding vintage OS that still has a scent!

Here's the "masterpiece" score so far - number of mentions if you're contemplating a purchase:

Nuavia Blue

MdC Fougere

WK King of Oud
Nuavia Red

PdP 63
MdC Rose
TOBS Sandalwood
B&M Seville
B&M Baudelaire
AOS Sandalwood

Eufros Gea
Tabac
T&H Sandalwood
SV Dolomiti
SV Felce
SV Colonia
Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
Dr Harris Windsor
DG Yuzu Rose Patchouli
B&M Lavanille

From the top 6, 5 are fragrances developed in France. No surprise there.
I think I that is something that is also pretty evident in the fragrance world, as well. Take a look at the most iconic niche and designer fragrances and a large number of what is considered "masterpiece" fragrances are frags from France. Just so much history of perfumery there. I think the UK is right behind France and then there is a gaping gulf until we get to US/Asia/rest of Europe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Here's the "masterpiece" score so far - number of mentions if you're contemplating a purchase:

Nuavia Blue

MdC Fougere

WK King of Oud
Nuavia Red

PdP 63
MdC Rose
TOBS Sandalwood
B&M Seville
B&M Baudelaire
AOS Sandalwood

Eufros Gea
Tabac
T&H Sandalwood
SV Dolomiti
SV Felce
SV Colonia
Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
Dr Harris Windsor
DG Yuzu Rose Patchouli
B&M Lavanille

I’ve been kinda keeping score as well. I had been thinking about picking up King of Oud for some time. This will most likely seal the deal.

B&M Nocturne
CF Ghost Town Barber
B&M Hallows
CF Sherlock
B&M Beaudelaire
Tallow+Steel Boreal
Wholly Kaw Cuero Oscuro
For me nothing brings me back to find memories of a childhood past like B&M Nocturne. I could use it every day. I know it isn't for everyone, but it is my favorite scent of all time.

Another vote for Tabac. But then again, for me it's mostly because it's an absolute dead ringer for a very specific scent from a very specific place from my childhood.

Top Bottom