What's new

Name the soaps whose scents can rank as masterpieces?

This is a great topic. My choices:

Eufros Rosa Bourbon
MdC Fougere
B&M Beaudelaire
Dr. Jon's Flowers in the Dark
Czech & Speake No. 88
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Siliski Midnight in Tunisia
AoS Sandalwood

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Why am I the only one who mentioned Arko? The illustration alone is worth a mention...

Why am I the only one who mentioned Arko? The illustration alone is worth a mention...

Would you seriously say the scent is a masterpiece? Soaps like Cella, Arko and Tabac are usually bought for their performance, but this thread is about scent alone.

In this thread we're competing against Nuavia, King of Oud, MdC Fougere, B&M Baudelaire, SV Felce + Dolomiti and the like. That's competition.

ARKO - there is nothing like it. And yes, I would seriously say the scent is a masterpiece. There can be no argument over matters of opinion.

MdC Fougere (the best Fougere ever made)
MdC Original
B&M Beaudelaire
B&M Seville
Wholly Kaw King of Bourbon
Talbot Valley of Fire
Mammoth Shire
The Club Signature
Acqua di Parma
Extro Tobacco
Extro Egyptian Oudh

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Would you seriously say the scent is a masterpiece? Soaps like Cella, Arko and Tabac are usually bought for their performance, but this thread is about scent alone.

In this thread we're competing against Nuavia, King of Oud, MdC Fougere, B&M Baudelaire, SV Felce + Dolomiti and the like. That's competition.
No, I was being facetious, actually. But my nose has poor taste, and my money is wasted in other avenues.

B&M Nocturne
CF Ghost Town Barber
B&M Hallows
CF Sherlock
B&M Beaudelaire
Tallow+Steel Boreal
Wholly Kaw Cuero Oscuro
For me nothing brings me back to find memories of a childhood past like B&M Nocturne. I could use it every day. I know it isn't for everyone, but it is my favorite scent of all time.

^
Made me use my Boreal this morning. You’re right the scent is fabulous. Moreover, the performance is right there with the finest GD soaps. Thanks for reminding me how good my T&S stuff is.

Here are ten soaps I think smell pretty good.

Beaudelaire (Barrister & Mann) anisic fougère – The wonderful mousse de Saxe accord lies at the heart of this scent, putting down a foundation of geranium, leather, and anise. This last note gives the soap an unexpected spiciness that perfectly fills the gap between the deep smoky green of the fougère and the high piercing sweetness of the ylang ylang. It’s a solid wall of scent.
Cheshire (Barrister & Mann) bergamot, lavender, clary sage, patchouli – Herbal notes and clean patchouli are tucked into the clary sage so smoothly that when you lather it, you get the impression of mild tea, or of straw tatami mats warmed by the autumn sun.
Fougère (Martin de Candre) herb garden – This is elegant. The lavender is medicinal, but the effect is perfect: beautiful, crisp, and bracing. Rosemary contributes tart sappy greens, and coumarin cushions everything on a bed of fragrant hay. When the soap is lathered, furtive notes of basil and geranium seem to float around the edges and then disappear as soon as you turn your attention to them.
French Vetiver (Cyril Salter) raw smoky vetiver – Its dense smoky smell of burnt coffee grounds, rust, and boiled spinach is utterly incomparable and inexplicably attractive.
Morning Ghost (Cold River Soap Works, Glide) bergamot, vetiver, woods – A whiff of citrus, not listed among the main note, gives this soap a light, clean opening. It dissolves quickly into amyris and ho wood and finally settles into a green vetiver. It's a sappy fresh scent that’s a pleasure in the spring and summer months.
Natural Bay Rum (Meißner Tremonia) Jamaica rum, West Indies bay, a whiff of clove – If it's West Indian bay you're after, look no further. There may be a drop of citrus and a pinch of clove in the mix, but I hardly pick them up. MT's Natural Bay Rum is mostly tart spicy bay and sweet rum. No fancy fruits or floral froufrou mar the simple accord. For bay rum purists, this could be the gold standard.
Puro Fresco (Cold River Soap Works) citrus, rose, nutmeg – It opens bright and cheerful with a splash of lemon citrus and then mellows into a creamy rose lightly dusted with nutmeg. Spread this on your face and you’ll be convinced that all is right with the world and there’s really nothing better to do with life than go to the park and dance the Rite of Spring. It’s four ounces of good cheer and pure optimism.
Stella Alpina (Saponificio Varesino) citrus, eucalyptus, woods – Balsamy mountain valleys and flower freckled slopes. This soap’s complex blend of citrus, green herbs, eucalyptus, and amber engaged my nose for an hour as I tried to sort out the intertwining scents.
Traditionnel (Le Père Lucien) eucalyptus, rosemary, thyme, lavender – A stout mix of herbal aromas that could just as easily go in the stew pot as on your face, Traditionnel smells like a bouquet garni from the south of France. Rosemary and lavender take center stage, while all sorts of green and woody notes caper around the sides.
Windsor (D.R. Harris & Co. Ltd.) citrus, leather, pepper, vetiver – The dressy leather note at its heart reminds me of walking past Salvatore Ferragamo’s shop on a sunny afternoon when all the doors are open.

Le Pere Lucien Oud-Sandal
Wholly Kaw King Oud
Wickham Magnum
Razorock Emperor
La Toja Soap
PAA Cavendish
PAA Malbolge
SV Mana Di Sicilia

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Nuavia Blu
Catie's Bubbles LPV
Barrister & Mann Leviathan
Declaration Grooming Darkfall
GFT Eucris
Chiseled Face Sherlock
CRSW Bois Floraux

Noble Otter - The Noir Et Vanille
Phoenix & Beau - Spitfire
Crown & Crane - Tobacco Leaf & Amber and Cognac & Cubans

I was just looking at my list of soaps that I'd used and another came more came to mind: Henri et Victoria Poire Francaise. The soap is a solid performer, but I'd buy this one just for the scent.

I also like Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars but it's a little too intense (and maybe a little cloying) for me.

Top Bottom