What's new

Name the hat style

Folks-
I am trying to figure out a hat style; my grampa had a hat very similiar to sean connery's in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusdade (see http://www.imdb.com/media/rm955357440/ch0001064). Can anyone tell me what style this is? The closes that I have seen is the irish walking hat at various sites, but those aren't quite the same. I know there is someone here who will know this pretty simple question!

It's a variant of a trilby. Christy's Rex version is probably the definitive cloth trilby, and the one I own. Actually, I think I own the same model as Connery is wearing, the plaid one. The one in the link below is herringbone, but it's the same shape as mine and Connery's.

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Christys-of-London-Wool-Rex-Hat-p/chf418.htm

Edit: Scratch that, Connery's doesn't have the vertical seams like the Christy Rex has. It looks an awful lot like either an Irish walking hat that's been dented in the center or a cloth check trilby. Cloth trilbys are often worn with the brim snapped down all around (looking like Connery's) or up all around, whereas felt trilbys are usually worn with the rear snapped up like a fedora.

Last edited:
Agree; Trilby. As for the Rex analogy I think you may be closer to right than you think mparker. I have My Fair Lady on DVD and it is a favourite movie. Rex Harrison's trilby in the movie is much closer the material(type not pattern) shown in Sean Connery's hat and if memory serves, it does not have those side seems shown in the "Rex" hat. The main difference is his back brim is rolled up whereas Connery's is down all the way round. Either way a trilby is my thought and a classic hat style. Harrison was made to wear it.

Regards, Todd

It's a variant of a trilby. Christy's Rex version is probably the definitive cloth trilby, and the one I own. Actually, I think I own the same model as Connery is wearing, the plaid one. The one in the link below is herringbone, but it's the same shape as mine and Connery's.

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Christys-of-London-Wool-Rex-Hat-p/chf418.htm

Edit: Scratch that, Connery's doesn't have the vertical seams like the Christy Rex has. It looks an awful lot like either an Irish walking hat that's been dented in the center or a cloth check trilby. Cloth trilbys are often worn with the brim snapped down all around (looking like Connery's) or up all around, whereas felt trilbys are usually worn with the rear snapped up like a fedora.

Cloth Tilby as in tweed? I know what you mean by a felt trilby, but not sure what you mean by "cloth", I assume you would include wool but not sure.

The look that I am thinking of is the brim snapped down; and that is what the Irish walking hat seems to have. That said, the brim seems shorter (if that is the right term) than I would expect. That is why I think the trilby maybe what I am thinking of, but I am not sure. It is tough to tell from pictures alone (combined with my faulty memory of a hat); the trilby hat is one that I hadn't thought of because of the back rim being flipped...

Yes by cloth I mean woven wool like tweed. Mine is a district check that looks very similar to Connery's, but herringbone is also common. You can see the stitching on his brim if you look closely - the are parallel stitches every quarter inch or so running around his brim. You can snap the brim up or down just like with a fedora - the particulars don't change the style of the hat. I've seen them snapped up all around, down all around, or down in the front and up in the back like a fedora. I wear my Christy's trilby with the brim snapped down all around like Connery's.

The Trilby is a variant of the fedora; the basic difference is the trilby has more taper to the crown. And Trilbys are commonly (though not exclusively) made in woven wool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom