What's new

Name that scat! OR: Pics of me and the War Department looking at our part of the planet that we are stewarding.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After reading your post the other day, I got fired up and shot some geese. Trying to make some jerky. Hopefully it turns out!
He puts his in the freezer to firm it up for cutting. No idea how long or what his recipe is. I know you know this, but don't be afraid to squeeze those breasts in water until clear, and maybe soak it in vinegar/water mix overnight. REALLY helps me with gamey taste.

He puts his in the freezer to firm it up for cutting. No idea how long or what his recipe is. I know you know this, but don't be afraid to squeeze those breasts in water until clear, and maybe soak it in vinegar/water mix overnight. REALLY helps me with gamey taste.
Fizzy soda like sprite seems to help too. A little. I have heard milk as well. I do not habe a dehydrator. My oven only goes down to 170 and rdcipe says 140. Was turning on and off trying to make due. But not sure how dry is "10 hrs or until thoroughly dried". It may be just a bit soft yet, but it tastes good. Wife and kida like it. So that means it will not last long enough to spoil anyway lol

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Fizzy soda like sprite seems to help too. A little. I have heard milk as well. I do not habe a dehydrator. My oven only goes down to 170 and rdcipe says 140. Was turning on and off trying to make due. But not sure how dry is "10 hrs or until thoroughly dried". It may be just a bit soft yet, but it tastes good. Wife and kida like it. So that means it will not last long enough to spoil anyway lol
That is SO cool.

You just made me think: why not Dr Pepper for venison roast? I'm going to see if that would work on swamp buck. I used it once on some pork that I was going to make into pulled pork with BBQ sauce. Marinated it in Dr Pepper for a few days. Good to hear the kids even liked it!

That is SO cool.

You just made me think: why not Dr Pepper for venison roast? I'm going to see if that would work on swamp buck. I used it once on some pork that I was going to make into pulled pork with BBQ sauce. Marinated it in Dr Pepper for a few days. Good to hear the kids even liked it!
I am sure DP would do something. Coke does, but it eats the chrome off a bumper and the corrosion off a battery, so....lol. Lot of people use beer for a base in their marinades. Well some anyway, perhaps not lots. Anywho, to each his own. I have such a strong hatred for alcohol, I will not use it to cook. My mouthwash is alcohol free... I do make an acception for my after shave. It has alcohol in it lol.

Well the goose jerky turned out pretty tasty. 1 kid has nearly eaten it all. I guess I have no reason not to shoot geese now. I usually shy away from them as I am just not a fan of goose any other way really (I am am not into wasting game). I marinate a duck in a similar marinade to jerky marinade(siracha is secret ingredient shhh). Then I throw it in hot cast iron for just 2 or 3 minutes on each side (enough to brown it some). Then place skillet with duck in oven for a bit. Not certain of time or temp by memory. This is breast fillet's BTW. Anyway, needs to still be pink in the middle. Slice and serve. Really good with duck. (Usually carmelize some onions with it) Goose looks like a big duck.....but no. Not near as good with goose.

Anyway, it made quite good jerky. Thanks.

Oh, and I wish I would have thought to take a pic pf the scat I seen deer hunting. Brief story:

Went out before dark, sat on the ground between 2 tress, leaned up all nice and cozy. Decide to pack it in. Stand up to find I have been sitting in a nice persimmon seedy pile of deer scat LOL.

Anyone eat persimmons? Pretty tasty unless not completely! ripe.

Top Bottom