What's new

Name that scat! OR: Pics of me and the War Department looking at our part of the planet that we are stewarding.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm going to try to show what we did in pictures. Please feel free to post your pics, or comment on my wormy apples!

FarmerTan

IMG_20201004_163006262.jpg
IMG_20201004_162543671.jpg
IMG_20201004_162326084.jpg
IMG_20201004_162256468.jpg
IMG_20201004_162245668.jpg

The tree with the little apples is something that the birds planted, lol. I believe it's a cross between a regular apple and a crab.

The big tree that my lovely War Department is going towards is an old red delicious, and as I don't use chemical stuff it's ALWAYS wormy, ha.

The hunting blind is the one my buddy made for us. Lol, he thinks I'm nuts, though he's too nice to say so, but I'm shooting the first good size deer I see, horns or no. I want venison!

FarmerTan

I should add that those tiny apples are sweet when left on the tree till frost. Any earlier than that and they are bitter tart.

My wife has threatened to cut it down. She doesn't appreciate beauty in the same ways that I do. It has the most UNUSUAL shape for a tree. Reminds me of a "Menorah."

One year it just appeared in an old compost pile! It's about 12' high now and can't be more than 10 years old. Lol, goat manure may have had something to do with the growth rate! I may pick some, see if I can convince my bride to make me some apple jelly!

FarmerTan

Here's some of the pitiful apples.....IMG_20201004_190736294.jpg
That we cooked down in the slow cooker before we strain them for applesauce! The water from the process may become jelly. It was SO SWEET!

And all organic.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_190748755.jpg
    IMG_20201004_190748755.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, interesting, Dave.

My family in northern Spain (Asturias), makes apple cider (sidra) every year. Culturally, it's very important to them.

You should see the apple press! and the whole bottling process.

And it's good stuff, too.

Many thanks.

AA

FarmerTan

Hm, interesting, Dave.

My family in northern Spain (Asturias), makes apple cider (sidra) every year. Culturally, it's very important to them.

You should see the apple press! and the whole bottling process.

And it's good stuff, too.

Many thanks.

AA
Some old friends have invited us to pick grapes today. We will mix up some juice, and hopefully some jam (my wife hates grape jelly or jam, lol. True love if we can any, as I'm the only one in the house that eats it!)

I'll try to remember to take pics of the grapes on the vine.

I've always wanted to try my hand at hard cider or mead or grape wine. Could this be the year?

FarmerTan

Here's what I did today! (Well my lungs were goodish, and my back was baddish, so I only picked the easy ones. Call it "cherry picking the easy grapes!") In 45 minutes we picked 45lbs. We will make juice tonight, maybe jam as well, depending on my breathing quality, ha. Feast your eyes on the only reason I can think of for living in Michigan, lol, "Pure Michigan" really has some incredibly beautiful early Fall days:
IMG_20201005_134319367.jpg
IMG_20201005_134327375.jpg
IMG_20201005_151224215.jpg
Those were some good sized deer prints COMING FROM the house of our "dear" friends that let us pick those ORGANIC Concord grapes!
There was a little evidence of deer eating the grapes, right where I expected, in the middle of the "row." That row looks to be all of 50 years old, based on the vines coming out of the ground. About twice the size of my wrist.

These are the ONLY friends we had that had grapes. Ours, and everyone else around us, just DID NOT produce any grapes. Very weird. We had a late frost in the spring that I blame. My neighbor had only one apple tree in his orchard, that he sprays, that WASN'T hit by that frost.

So my lovely War Department and I have prayed separately and came to the same conclusion that we are not turning down ANY stuff given to us to put away for the winter. Ha, who knows who He may decide we need to feed from our bounty if things get tight this winter?

Lol, thanks for listening to my ramblings friends!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I watch too much North Woods Law, where the Game Wardens are always adding revenue to the Maine and New Hampshire state coffers by bagging guys who hunt deer over a bait pile. But if you have an apple tree like that on your property and you leave the fallen apples on the ground and then set up your tree stand/blind nearby are you still considered to be hunting over bait, even if the bait is a natural 'act of God?' Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I watch too much North Woods Law, where the Game Wardens are always adding revenue to the Maine and New Hampshire state coffers by bagging guys who hunt deer over a bait pile. But if you have an apple tree like that on your property and you leave the fallen apples on the ground and then set up your tree stand/blind nearby are you still considered to be hunting over bait, even if the bait is a natural 'act of God?' Sorry if this is a stupid question.
I would certainly think not, but regulations do not always follow rational thinking. May depend on if the trees were naturally occurring or planted, if they are for strictly game purpose or harvested for fruit as well. Who knows. Where I hunt, it is legal to bait deer, so I do not have alot of experience or thought process on the matter.

FarmerTan

Found it. I am going with coyote and immature buck LOL
My buddy just saw a gazillion buck rubs walking out on my property to hunt. And he saw a deer (not sure if buck or did) about 50 yards out, that turned away and never got closer. Hoping to fill the freezer. Don't care WHAT it is. He also brought my lovely War Department some goose jerky. Delicious. He and his "posse" got 19 on Saturday, 240 for the season. Lol, he's the old guy, and he does all the processing!

I shoot the first deer I see. I just hunt meat. Not a trophy hunter. One has to be quite careful how they prepare goose as it is barely fit to eat with even the best prep lol. I bet it would make decent jerky. I am sure you have heard place bird on oak board oranges around it blah blah cook for blah blah throw bird away and eat board.

Three phases of bear. The first is all grass; they eat that heavily when they first come out of hibernation. The last has a piece of Aluminum foil inn it -- a dead giveaway of bear.

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 10

FarmerTan

I shoot the first deer I see. I just hunt meat. Not a trophy hunter. One has to be quite careful how they prepare goose as it is barely fit to eat with even the best prep lol. I bet it would make decent jerky. I am sure you have heard place bird on oak board oranges around it blah blah cook for blah blah throw bird away and eat board.
Yeah, I have a friend that goes on and on with that same joke about venison, but I can't print what he says!

I've only had bad venison once, and I blame the cook. It was a cedar swamp buck and my friend's wife couldn't cook! I shut up and ate it anyway.

FarmerTan

View attachment 1191518
Maybe not the best photo to post in the thread you started with the title "Name That Scat" ...
Brother Doc, if you've had poorly prepared "roasted goose" you probably understand my reticence when this was first offered to me last year. I was blown away by how good it is. Maybe the tiniest bit of gaminess to the taste, but if I didn't tell someone it was goose I'd love to hear the guesses of what meat it is!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I used to love hunting Geese, I had to stop because I could not find anyone that wanted them anymore. I sure am not eating the nasty things. Maybe Jerky is a possibility.

Top Bottom