What's new

name me some good gillette razors, bit confused

Can anyone tell me what type of gillette ball end de razor I have? Like the year etc?

Seems in really good condition

IMG_20210517_141945.jpg
IMG_20210517_141955.jpg
IMG_20210517_142038.jpg

It's a British Ball-End Tech razor. I've only shaved with US-made ones, but I imagine the performance is very similar. Nice, smooth, mild shave, not particularly aggressive. That looks like a very clean example.
Yea it's mint, no cracks on handle

How much did you pick yours up for mate?

Yea it's mint, no cracks on handle

How much did you pick yours up for mate?
Well, I don't have a British Tech, but I have a few US versions. It's been a few years and I don't think I paid more than a few dollars for any of them, but they were all picked up at flea markets, yard sales, etc., not from knowledgeable sellers.

Reactions: saj
Early to mid 50's is my uneducated guess.
Thanks 👍
Well, I don't have a British Tech, but I have a few US versions. It's been a few years and I don't think I paid more than a few dollars for any of them, but they were all picked up at flea markets, yard sales, etc., not from knowledgeable sellers.
yea i got this cheap on ebay uk so thought why not

My favorite Gillette is probably the New SC, which I get better shaves from than the Fat-Boy, Slim, or Black-Beauty. - My better, rarely a nick, but also one really close shave, and pretty darn smooth doing it with a sharp blade.

hey just want to double check, am i right in thinking its the gillette old type which comes in short and long open combs?

The short combs are harder to find and are usually more expensive than the long comb variety. Can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't expensive. You should find what you are looking for if you search around the bay.

thanks had a feeling i was wrong and wanted to double check

whats availability like? any ideas how much they usually go for?

You’ll find Old Types with thin and thick caps. I love both, but slightly prefer the thin cap. Preference really, I just feel I have a little more maneuverability but you can’t go wrong either way. My thin caps are in great shape but some can be damaged based on care/drops. The thicker/beefier caps are less susceptible to those issues.

The short combs are harder to find and are usually more expensive than the long comb variety. Can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't expensive. You should find what you are looking for if you search around the bay.
i think i need to get a new short and long comb as i love open comb razors tbh

just wanted to pick your lots brain, at a guesstimate how much would the long open comb and short open comb set me back?

just wanted to pick your lots brain, at a guesstimate how much would the long open comb and short open comb set me back?

Probably in the same ballpark as a Superspeed for each razor (at least in the US, not sure about the UK market).

I've got an accumulation of more vintage Gillettes than "necessary", but I find it impossible to choose only one for every day use.

You can't go wrong with any of the Techs , and lately I've been rotating thru my accumulation of Short & Long Comb New models. One New SC in particular was bought at a junk price. I was mainly intrestd in using the handle on another head, but after shaving with it, I was so impressed with the smooth shave that I sent it to Back Roads Gold to replate. It now is not only great shaving, but looks like a showpiece.

I recently spent some quality shave time with a Slim Adjustable, which works with a wide variety of blades, and I can count on it for a BBS shave without any effort.

An early 50's vintage Super Speed is also a top performer with a wide range of blades, and yesterdays' shave resulted in such a close and smooth shave that I don't need a save today - 24 hours later my face is still smoother than a usual shave with a Tech.

I also have a 1917 Old Type, thin head, ball end that can beat them all - I get a guaranteed great shave with just about any blade I use.

Disappointed with the shaves you're getting with that vintage Gillette everyone told you to buy? It may be your soap. I get my best shaves with Stirling or Shannon's Soaps despite having other spendier big name soaps. My best blades are: Lab Blue, GSB, BiC, Super Max Blue Diamond, Voskhod. Yesterdays awesome shave was with a Lord Platinum.

hey guys need help identifying these gillette de razors I got, these pictures are of how they came straight out of the packaging, will obviously clean them up as much as possible to make them look better 👍

all of them are made in the USA and are onviously open comb,

I actually assume it's two old gillettes and two new gillettes, please could you let me know if I'm wrong or right?

Also if it's the gillette new, can you tell me if it's the long comb or short comb?

Many thanks saj

IMG_20210917_173133.jpg
IMG_20210917_173152.jpg
IMG_20210917_173933.jpg
IMG_20210917_174045.jpg
IMG_20210917_174211.jpg

Top Bottom