What's new

name me some good gillette razors, bit confused

Most would say it's fairly mild. Similar to a 2-3 on a Super Adjustable. The Red Tip would be more aggressive.

You can still get a very good shave with a mild razor. Use a blade on the sharper end of the scale.
used it for the first time with a astra green sp first time using an astra blade too,
was smooth but not smoother or sharper then say a nacet or feather

first time using a razor with a smaller handle but the handle is quite wide and got a good grip,
so obviously took my time because using a new de razor and de blade,
anyways i noticed with the smaller handle i had to adjust a bit to go ATG on the front of the head

yea good shave overall and i first time usingproraso shaving cream, very nice, loved the smell and good lather too

really loving the use of a scuttle, feels like a bit of a game changer a si like warm lather and especially this time of year feels even better tbh

I got a slim adjustable from eBay and like it a lot from a newbs perspective. Easy to use and shaves well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well, I’m a bit late to the party it seems. Congrats on the Rocket. That’s a fine looking razor! My understanding is that the British Gillettes tend to be a bit more aggressive than their American counterparts. But as with most things in wetshaving, YMMV.

Of all the DE razors I’ve used over the years, I have found that the Red Tip Superspeed best hits the sweet spot for me in terms of aggression and comfort. And I wouldn’t even really call it aggressive, just very efficient. It’s like an adjustable razor always to set to “perfect”. I wouldn’t change a thing.

My second best razor is the ‘41 Ranger Tech. Slightly more aggressive and less smooth than the Red Tip. Still gives excellent shaves. Ordinarily, the Rangers cost quite a bit more than your workaday Superspeeds. However, occasionally you can find a misidentified Ranger Tech being sold as a 40’s-style Superspeed for considerably less. I actually found two that way!

Happy shaving!

I rotate three vintage Gillette razors.
1958 q1 Flare Tip Super Speed (D 1)
1962 q2 Slim (I 2)
1967 q1 Black Handle Super Speed (M 1)

The Black Handle while I do like it is my least favorite of the three. But not by much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

so i just used the gillette tech with a astra green sp blade, wowwwwww what a shave!

honestly really enjoyed it, the handle has a very good grip even when it was drenched in lather/water etc is just felt tight in my hand and i felt confident it wouldnt slip out my hand tbh

so i thought i used the gillette hd500 rocket with a astra green sp blade so i thought i'd use the gillette tech with an astra green sp de blade too,

you know to see how it compares, iny my eyes imo and experience of just using it i found that the gillette tech to be much better and more efficient then the rocket hd500, when i say much better it didnt feel as mild it just took everything off,

when i used the rocket hd500 with the astra green sp i felt i could get abit rougher and use more pressure,

but with the tech and the astra green sp i just let it glide along and do its thing, thoroughly enjoyed it tbh

bare in mind im a head shaver but i do think the hd500 rocket maybe suited better to a sharper blade and the tech will work well with more razors imo anyways thought i'd put that out there and what to hear what your thoughts are peeps :)

Reactions: Avi
anyone prefer the gillette tech over the hd500 rocket?

honestly i can understand now why a lot of people mentioned to me to get the gillette tech,
for th eprice point and the efficiency it has to be up there, what a razor! :)

whats the going rate for gillette fatboy and gillette sim adjustable? uk prices

just to give me an idea, thanks

Just to clarify how many different types of Gillette techs are there?

I've seen the slim handle, fat handle and the standard one i have

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Have a look at the Mr Razor website. He is a member here and has a comprehensive collection of photographs of Gillette Razors.

Reactions: saj
R

romsitsa

Just to clarify how many different types of Gillette techs are there?

I've seen the slim handle, fat handle and the standard one i have

Too many, the most different types are:
US pre-war
US post war
UK hybrid
UK flat bottom
German aluminum (or plastic, or Rotbart) with two short slots for the cap

The big 3 are the tech, super speed and the adjustable. Anything before the 60's is a solid razor. Mr-razor is a good site to look at.

I would recommend buying a 40's-50's tech, a 40's-style super speed and an adjustable (fatboy or slim). Just a quick perusal of ebay gives the following buy it now price for each in a good user grade. You can probably do better on the b/s/t or by bidding, but just a general guide.

One word on the fatboy vs. slim, it is really ford/chevy. When I shave, I can't tell the difference.

40-50's tech - $30 to $40
40's-style (made up until '54 I believe) super speed - $30 to $40
Fatboy - $100
Slim - $30 to $50

With head shaving i can attest for the slim mines a k3,with a feather blade on setting 7 and a light touch is awesome!!!yes heeps of blade buffing but such a smooth shave man!! I also use a 1918 single ring old type and open combs on the head work very well with the skin being naturally tighter.but that's just my 2 cents 😉

Quick question for those of you with both gillette fatboy and gillette slim, which one do you prefer?

I've only used the Super Adjustable 109 and the Slim and since the Super Adjustable is a bit more efficient on setting 9 compared to the Slim, I like it a bit more. Most people don't like the Fatboy as much because the head is a bit thicker and getting under the nose is a bit tricky compared to the other two adjustable razors. It's also a bit milder and it's usualy more expensive for no real reason whatsoever.

I've paid around 20$ each for my 2 Slims and around around 6$ for my Super Adjustable and a while ago I was trying to get a Fatboy too, but even the ugly ones are going for 50-60$ so I gave up and instead focused my attention on the British Aristocrats and was able to get a few very in great condition quite cheap.

If you really want to get a Fatboy and paying around 80$ or more isn't an issue for you - go for it, but I think there are much better vintage Gillette razors that can be bought at that price range or less and most people find them better shavers too.

I've only used the Super Adjustable 109 and the Slim and since the Super Adjustable is a bit more efficient on setting 9 compared to the Slim, I like it a bit more. Most people don't like the Fatboy as much because the head is a bit thicker and getting under the nose is a bit tricky compared to the other two adjustable razors. It's also a bit milder and it's usualy more expensive for no real reason whatsoever.

I've paid around 20$ each for my 2 Slims and around around 6$ for my Super Adjustable and a while ago I was trying to get a Fatboy too, but even the ugly ones are going for 50-60$ so I gave up and instead focused my attention on the British Aristocrats and was able to get a few very in great condition quite cheap.

If you really want to get a Fatboy and paying around 80$ or more isn't an issue for you - go for it, but I think there are much better vintage Gillette razors that can be bought at that price range or less and most people find them better shavers too.
Cool so the fatboy must be demand more due to higher price maybe?

Does the gillette old type come in long or short open combs?
Or is it the gillette new?

Gets confusing lol

Quick question for those of you with both gillette fatboy and gillette slim, which one do you prefer?
I have both and although both give great shaves, I find that the Slim feels a little more comfortable and maneuverable in my hand. You really should try both, though.

Cool so the fatboy must be demand more due to higher price maybe?

Does the gillette old type come in long or short open combs?
Or is it the gillette new?

Gets confusing lol

The Fatboy is concidered to be the icon of the vintage Gillette razors and it was in production just a few years compared to the Slim and the Super Adjustable and some people have spread the myth that the Fatboy is super rare and the prices have jumped 2-3 times in the past 15 years.

I've talked to a few people who claim that the Fatboy wasn't that expensive 15+ years ago , but thanks to the forums, the prices have increased. Truth be told though, most people find the Slim and the Super Adjustable more maneuverable and more efficient than the Fatboy. I would gladly add one to my collection, but I wouldn't pay more than 40$ for one in used condition.

Top Bottom