What's new

name me some good gillette razors, bit confused

cool, yea i noticed like 90 odd % of the black beauty are from the US on ebay uk

from your experience which is the best shave? obviously thats going to be subjective but im curious
I tend to like heavier razors so my black beauty metal base long handle works very nice and comfy for me, but my qshave futul outshaves it. And my daily shaver is a broman

Reactions: saj
I tend to like heavier razors so my black beauty metal base long handle works very nice and comfy for me, but my qshave futul outshaves it. And my daily shaver is a broman

Where did you get the black beauty from?
How can you tell if it's the one with the metal plate? Is it the earlier year ones?

I've also got the qshave futur clone, it's nice on the heavier side from all the razors I've used

what number adjustment do tend to use it from?

btw you from the UK?

Where did you get the black beauty from?
How can you tell if it's the one with the metal plate? Is it the earlier year ones?

I've also got the qshave futur clone, it's nice on the heavier side from all the razors I've used

what number adjustment do tend to use it from?

btw you from the UK?
My qshave runs mainly 1-3 on the mild side with a Gilette silver blue it behaves very civilized. And there is a spring of of that model with a magnetic head... on my to get list together with some Yaqi heads.

I bought my bb from a Dutch Gillette collector who does minor restoration on his Gillette’s so it was around 75 euro but in very nice condition.
Bottom plate black is plastic, nickel/gold it is metal.

and I bought a slim om flee bay which was bend so keeping it since it is a 67 4th quarter (I am from dec67). Either fix it or restore it.

Also got a British allu tech with Gilette etched on top plate from a dutch seller nice nick 15 euro and given it to a Dutch shave buddy to light for me. And you can replace that short handle with ease. There are even shorter travel ones out there.

Still have two inherited Gillette open comb old types from my grandfather and maybe his. Only use them when i need to mow a lawn.

I am from Holland.

brexit is going to be nasty for us shave wise. Lots of better shops in the uk. Though buying American soaps from Canada is cheaper.

My qshave runs mainly 1-3 on the mild side with a Gilette silver blue it behaves very civilized. And there is a spring of of that model with a magnetic head... on my to get list together with some Yaqi heads.

I bought my bb from a Dutch Gillette collector who does minor restoration on his Gillette’s so it was around 75 euro but in very nice condition.
Bottom plate black is plastic, nickel/gold it is metal.

and I bought a slim om flee bay which was bend so keeping it since it is a 67 4th quarter (I am from dec67). Either fix it or restore it.

Also got a British allu tech with Gilette etched on top plate from a dutch seller nice nick 15 euro and given it to a Dutch shave buddy to light for me. And you can replace that short handle with ease. There are even shorter travel ones out there.

Still have two inherited Gillette open comb old types from my grandfather and maybe his. Only use them when i need to mow a lawn.

I am from Holland.

brexit is going to be nasty for us shave wise. Lots of better shops in the uk. Though buying American soaps from Canada is cheaper.

can you post a link to that model with the magnetic head please

wow, so a lot of dutch people into wet shaving?

tbh im not exactly sure how popular wet shvaing is in the uk but one thing i know for sure is that its on the rise due to the stupid costs of cartridge razors

can you post a link to that model with the magnetic head please

wow, so a lot of dutch people into wet shaving?

tbh im not exactly sure how popular wet shvaing is in the uk but one thing i know for sure is that its on the rise due to the stupid costs of cartridge razors
Smirn
€ 12,40 13% Off | Snmirn Veiligheid Scheermes Magnetische Verstelbare Dubbele Rand Klassieke Mens Scheren Milde 1-8 Bestand Ontharing Scheerapparaat Gift Pakket

For us the uk is the main source of American soaps like stirling but we are gettting some shops having that brand too.

check eBay or Ali for blades.

Smirn
€ 12,40 13% Off | Snmirn Veiligheid Scheermes Magnetische Verstelbare Dubbele Rand Klassieke Mens Scheren Milde 1-8 Bestand Ontharing Scheerapparaat Gift Pakket

For us the uk is the main source of American soaps like stirling but we are gettting some shops having that brand too.

check eBay or Ali for blades.
that actually looks nice, have you got it or going to get it?

I have a NEW short comb, post war Tech, Superspeed (~1948, 1958), Fatboy, Slim, Superadjustable, and Lady Gillette (which I have never used). They all work; they are all different to one degree or another. Of all of them I like the Slim the most, though all three adjustables are pretty similar in how they shave. If you did a poll about them, opinions will be divided because we all have different preferences.

I have a NEW short comb, post war Tech, Superspeed (~1948, 1958), Fatboy, Slim, Superadjustable, and Lady Gillette (which I have never used). They all work; they are all different to one degree or another. Of all of them I like the Slim the most, though all three adjustables are pretty similar in how they shave. If you did a poll about them, opinions will be divided because we all have different preferences.
out of your collection whats youre fave?

just got the hd500 or aristocrat whichever one it is,
its the first OTT razor i got so i was wondering is it normal for it take a fair few turns with mild pressure to open and close?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
just got the hd500 or aristocrat whichever one it is,
its the first OTT razor i got so i was wondering is it normal for it take a fair few turns with mild pressure to open and close?
No, it is not normal — the British TTO razors are famous for their smooth action. Probably just gunked up. Give it a nice bath in hot water, Dawn dish soap and ‘work it’ under the water to loosen up the TTO. A picture or two might be helpful to us, though.

out of your collection whats youre fave?

The Slim adjustable is what I have used the lions share of the time. For me it is second nature, and I get good results. I like the adjustability so I can dial in exactly what I want. As I said, the Fatboy and Superadjustable are very similar to the Slim in how they shave, but I find the Slim more nimble than the Fatboy, and I like the weight of the Slim more than the SA.

Modern razors I have used - Merkur Progress, Maggard V3, and as of this morning two shaves in with a Fatip open comb slant. The Progress gives very good shaves, but it often feels precarious in my hand - head heavy, and not a very good grip, plus more blade feel than the Slim. For me the Maggard V3 felt rough. The FOCS, it's too early to say, but I doubt it will dethrone the Slim. I got it because so many have said positive things about it. What caught my attention was several folks saying that it has less blade feel than a Slim set at 6 but it is as efficient as a Slim set at 8 or 9. So far I have not found either statement to be true. Again, only two shaves with it do not make a definitive judgement. I'll use it longer to see how it develops.

No, it is not normal — the British TTO razors are famous for their smooth action. Probably just gunked up. Give it a nice bath in hot water, Dawn dish soap and ‘work it’ under the water to loosen up the TTO. A picture or two might be helpful to us, though.

Seems to be better now tbh think cleaning it did the trick

So just to clarify is it the aristocrat or the rocket hd500

On it says Gillette Made In England

Brit.Pat 694093

IMG_20201218_124416__01.jpg

IMG_20201218_124118__01_compress8.jpg

IMG_20201218_124027_compress51.jpg

IMG_20201218_124016_compress87.jpg

Old Type/Thin Cap/04, 17, 18
Pre-War Tech/41
Super Speed/53, 57
195/58, 59, 60
Slim/64, 67
Super 84/73
Heritage/2019
KCG/2020

Any of those will do fine.

The Super 84 is my favorite out of any razor and brand I own, vintage and modern.

Last edited:
hey there people, i wanted to ask how mild or aggressive is the gillette hd500 rocket classed as?

hey there people, i wanted to ask how mild or aggressive is the gillette hd500 rocket classed as?
Most would say it's fairly mild. Similar to a 2-3 on a Super Adjustable. The Red Tip would be more aggressive.

You can still get a very good shave with a mild razor. Use a blade on the sharper end of the scale.

Top Bottom