What's new

name me some good gillette razors, bit confused

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
hello people, whats your opinion on this gillette de razor? seems to be a gillette aristocrat junior according to the box
(box is tatty but im not fused about that tbh)

how much would you say its worth? obviously its only pics but an estimate would be good thanks

View attachment 1195451

View attachment 1195452

I'm no expert in terms of pricing and not sure what the forum rules are for even discussing such, but I have one and I will vouch that it is an excellent, smooth shaver of which I'm quite fond ;) I'd say if the price is reasonable then you won't be disappointed should you purchase it.

I have fatboy, slim, super adjustable, tech, superspeed, rocket hd. But the star of vintage Gillette razors is New SC. The blade is fixed as a rock, even better than modern models.

If you prefer a long handle for head shaving.
Gillette black beauty long handle
There should be a lady Gilette might have a longer handle for legs reach

But shaving wise they all shave very nice imho.
wow that gillette black beauty looks stunning, honestly i love it

in regards to the gillette black beauty, how do these compare to the slim, fatboy etc?

any ideas whats the going rate on these in the uk?

in regards to the gillette black beauty, how do these compare to the slim, fatboy etc?

any ideas whats the going rate on these in the uk?
They shave very similarly to the Slim, I think the Black Beauty might be slightly lighter weight. Either the long-handle Black Beauty or the shorter one would be a very good fit for your needs. Try and get one of the earlier models that are all-metal. Some of the later models use plastic for the base plate. Nothing really wrong with that, but the all-metal ones are still a bit nicer, IMHO.

Reactions: saj
They shave very similarly to the Slim, I think the Black Beauty might be slightly lighter weight. Either the long-handle Black Beauty or the shorter one would be a very good fit for your needs. Try and get one of the earlier models that are all-metal. Some of the later models use plastic for the base plate. Nothing really wrong with that, but the all-metal ones are still a bit nicer, IMHO.
yea i love the look of them from all the vintage razors ive seen and not just gillettes

apart from the weight is there any other differences?

from what ive learnt so far it seems that theyre not as popular as the slim adjustable or the fatboy but i could be wrong

think youre from the US, how much do they roughly go for do you know?

Slim is the silver James Bond model and they are not rare and very affordable. Get one with your birth year quarter code!

There is a more expensive gold version the aristocrat.

The super adjustable aka black beauty is less common and a good one is definitely not as cheap as a good slim.
There are short and long handled ones
There are plastic or older metal base plate ones.
Standard is silver (nickel) but gold versions exist.

fatboy is more expensive

and of course there are also toggles which are more rare and more expensive
The same applies if you see adjusting to the bottom instead of the head

still nothing wrong with a tech head and your own extra long handle !
Keep in mind there are British Alluminium techs which are very light and normal ones which are heavier. There are also lots of copied tech heads out there.

just a tip for adjustable butterfly doors
check if they are opening closing correctly, lock correctly, adjust correctly. Check alignment if it shaves funny that happens when they are dropped. It is sometimes possible to fix.
There are services who restore them to brand new you can also get them revamped in different metals or gunkote

Last edited:
PM me and I'll send you a 1964 ball-end Tech, a 1954 SuperSpeed, and a Black Beauty. If you need blades, let me know.
This is a good hobby to get into.
just checked out your profile and says youre in the states, it will cost a lot to send it me in the UK mate

Slim is the silver James Bond model and they are not rare and very affordable. Get one with your birth year quarter code!

There is a more expensive gold version the aristocrat.

The super adjustable aka black beauty is less common and a good one is definitely not as cheap as a good slim.
There are short and long handled ones
There are plastic or older metal base plate ones.
Standard is silver (nickel) but gold versions exist.

fatboy is more expensive

and of course there are also toggles which are more rare and more expensive
The same applies if you see adjusting to the bottom instead of the head

still nothing wrong with a tech head and your own extra long handle !
Keep in mind there are British Alluminium techs which are very light and normal ones which are heavier. There are also lots of copied tech heads out there.

just a tip for adjustable butterfly doors
check if they are opening closing correctly, lock correctly, adjust correctly. Check alignment if it shaves funny that happens when they are dropped. It is sometimes possible to fix.
There are services who restore them to brand new you can also get them revamped in different metals or gunkote
cool, yea i noticed like 90 odd % of the black beauty are from the US on ebay uk

from your experience which is the best shave? obviously thats going to be subjective but im curious

just got the gillette tech through the post, omg whats shocked me the most is the size it looks small (the handle),
think it must be the smallest razor out the ones i got, not that i got many lol!

anyways it looks in excellent condition and the stand is nice too, very happy with the price i paid

p.s also just got the edwin jagger kevin (with de89 head) through the post with the astra green blades, will post pictures when i get a chance :)

cool, yea i noticed like 90 odd % of the black beauty are from the US on ebay uk

from your experience which is the best shave? obviously thats going to be subjective but im curious
The Slim and Black Beauty shave almost the same, except for balance. The Black Beauty has an aluminum handle and the Slim has a nickel-plated brass handle. The long-handled Black Beauty to me has the best balance.

just got the gillette tech through the post, omg whats shocked me the most is the size it looks small (the handle)...
You can easily swap handles. For example:

tech-shave-6.png

Last edited:
The Slim and Black Beauty shave almost the same, except for balance. The Black Beauty has an aluminum handle and the Slim has a nickel-plated brass handle. The long-handled Black Beauty to me has the best balance.

You can easily swap handles. For example:

View attachment 1196315
Which Gillette vintage razors do you own at the moment?

Here's a pics but I'm rubbish at taking pics lol

IMG_20201217_155717__01.jpg

IMG_20201217_155743__01_compress10.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_155723__01.jpg
    IMG_20201217_155723__01.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 1
Pre-War Tech and Super 109 (Black Beauty long handle). Mostly use the Tech, Fatip OCs and Razorock German 37 slant.
cool, how long you hand them for and how much you pick them up from?

btw i wish there were some wet shaving shops you could just walk into for de razors/blades etc,
i hope to see one, one day but with the internet and no overheads etc not sure ill see it happen

Top Bottom