What's new

Name a song or Album That Rocked your World

thrilled to see Tarkus on this list I love ELP .. Led Zep 1 for sure …and most deffintely.. In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson... I still have that on vinyl.

Leige & Leif from Fairport Convention. Started a lifelong love of traditional music and playing trad instruments! Leigeandleif.jpg

I was a preteen whose brother was senior by 7 years. Naturally I started wanting "rock records" as soon as I hit double digits. Parents, being parents, bought me an assortment of K-tel crap . . . but it was music.
My brother got me started with Aerosmith ROCKS, and allowed me to listen to his records when I wanted to.

But the first album that "blew me away"?

THE CLASH - GIVE 'EM ENOUGH ROPE

I had already heard "Never Mind the Bollocks" prior to this, and thought Punk was just a bunch of guys who couldn't play very well, but had a lot of energy. This album changed my mind. Energy to light a City, but musicianship, political comment, anger . . . my oh my. and thus began my lifelong love for Joe Strummer, Paul Simonon, Mick Jones, and Topper Headon.

The only other album that had a similar effect was the following:

METALLICA - KILL 'EM ALL

I was already into heavy metal by the time Lars and co. dropped this nuke into my life. I thought I was well versed in the hard rock "heavy" sound but, much like the Clash, this album just opened up my mind to an entirely different set of rules.

1585661198801.png1585661243883.png

I've already shared an album but I thought I'd share some more of my results from the game, "10 albums in 10 minutes" where you have 10 minutes to name 10 albums that are all time favorites, had a big influence on or impacted you in some special way. (The latter may or may not be one of your favorite albums.)

A Boy Named Charlie Brown and A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. This is a cheat but I'm lumping these two recordings together as a single choice. I grew up watching the Charlie Brown cartoons and the music was so organically integrated into the show that it provided a feel and a vibe that would have seriously diminished the impact and the appeal of the show were it not there. It was a marriage that made it impossible to have one without thinking of or hearing the other. As a child, my focus was on the cartoon so I didn't consciously know that I was listening to jazz but that sound planted itself into my head and my heart. I attribute Guaraldi’s music with planting the seed which would one day grow into a great love for jazz.

Last edited:
I went over to a buddy's house after school and we were shooting pool in the basement. He said, "Hey you need to hear this album I got." He walked over and put on an LP by Cream. I don't recall which one but it blew me away. Then it got to this song and the pool game stopped. I just stood there - mouth open - holding my pool cue thinking, "OH. MY. GOSH..."

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fresh Cream - Cream
Sgt. Pepper - The Beatles
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Aftermath - The Rolling Stones
Meddle - Pink Floyd
The Yes Album - Yes
Live at Leeds - The Who

Then came DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall - Pink Floyd. :)

Just to name a few...

Floyd - Dark Side
Allman Bros. - Live at Fillmore East
Zepplin - I
Blind Faith
Deodato - 2
Bob James - Three
Yes - Fragile
ELP - Trilogy, Pictures at an Exhibition
Jimi - Are You Experienced
Crosby Stills Nash - Crosby Stills Nash
Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Mark-Almond - Mark-Almond

Album. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
It was so unlike anything I've ever heard before, it gave me goosebumps lol

Song. Def Leopard - High n Dry - Let it go
Remember cruising around with my friends in his 68 camaro blasting this cassette. He would always rewind this song and play this song over and over. I think this was the beginning of my tinnitus.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Though Going For The One was certainly a departure from previous masterpieces - The Yes Album; Fragile & Close To The Edge - & also, Roger Dean’s album cover artistry, it remains my favorite YES album & the track, Turn of The Century, my all-time favorite song...

Top Bottom