What's new

name a blade that gets better with use ?

I'm with the posters who commented that the vast majority of blades will get better after the first use. This has to do with the protective coating wearing off and exposing more of the blades true surface. But if I had to pick one that this really comes through for me personally with, I would pick the Derby Premium. The 2nd through the 4th shaves with a Premium are noticeably better for me than the first. But, I can only say that in comparison to the first shave. Comparing the 2nd and the 3rd shave...not much difference there...but both are smoother than the first.
I very much agree, and Derby Premium also seems to last for a lot more shaves than many other brands, as does Personna Platinum, as @lurchbrian mentioned. Several members here have suggested this has something to do with the coating process used, and that makes sense.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Most blades improve for me after the first shave. The Kai I am using at the moment got better after the first shave, but didn't really hit it's stride until about shave#3 I have just completed shave#13 with an R41 and I am still getting good smooth shaves. I find many blades die around 12-16. GSB, 7 O'clock yellow, med prep, Personna platinum. BIC only started to deteriorate after #20 but many blades are a little rough on their first shave, and some on the second but there is almost always a perceptible improvement in both performance and smoothness.

Top Bottom