What's new

name a blade that gets better with use ?

well at the moment in my r6 i have a personna platinum on its 5 use and find that it just seems to be getting better with age .
Are there any others that you the great shavers have found do the same ?

I can go 7 use with my Parker Platinum blades even with my inexperience, so it definitely gets better with use.

I binned it after 7 use because I actually lost track of shaves and then didn't shaved for a few days.

I'm on use 7 with Gillette 7 O'clock Black and it is getting better with use.

This is my first time pushing it, so I cannot say for sure how long it can go.

Wilkinson Sword blades seem to get better with use.
I find that most blades do but most start to lose its edge after the 4th shave. I usually stop at 5. But the Wilkinson Sword just keeps getting better until shave 5 before slowly losing it's sharpness. Overall it gives me 7 good shaves.
With palm stropping, I seem to get an additional 3 or 4 shaves. But i seldom do this as blades are pretty reasonably priced.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Just about every blade I have tried is better on shave #2 than it was on shave #1, then they go down hill. Few last past 4 shaved for me.
Same. I just toss most blades after 2 shaves. Wizamets, Polsilvers, Kai and Med Preps I might go 3-4 but never more. I shave every day and just like new blades. 150 blades or so a year costs me peanuts, so I don’t push them.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm with the posters who commented that the vast majority of blades will get better after the first use. This has to do with the protective coating wearing off and exposing more of the blades true surface. But if I had to pick one that this really comes through for me personally with, I would pick the Derby Premium. The 2nd through the 4th shaves with a Premium are noticeably better for me than the first. But, I can only say that in comparison to the first shave. Comparing the 2nd and the 3rd shave...not much difference there...but both are smoother than the first.

For me there are two blades that are better on shave 2. They are getting significantly sharper. 7 o'clock Super Platinum (India) and German Wilkinson Sword.

As people have mentioned, most blades get sharper after the first use, but there are a few that get significantly better with consecutive uses such as the Indian Wilkensen Sword blades and the Personna LBs. Personna LBs are actually really tuggy for me on the first/second shave, and it causes some irritation, but they're actually vastly superior by the 5th shave, and they have much longevity after that. The WSs are a bit bitty for me on the first shave but then round out to something similar to a GSB for 6 shaves after that. Wizamets, GSB, and Yellows seem to remain consistent until they lose their sharpness, which is generally prefered imo, as you dont have to suffer the original bad shave and can just toss them with they go.

I can go 7 use with my Parker Platinum blades even with my inexperience, so it definitely gets better with use.

I binned it after 7 use because I actually lost track of shaves and then didn't shaved for a few days.

I'm on use 7 with Gillette 7 O'clock Black and it is getting better with use.

This is my first time pushing it, so I cannot say for sure how long it can go.
I've just got some 7 o'clock black haven't tried them yet i love the green though one of my favorite blades.How would you compare them to the greens?

Wow! I bin every blade after their 3 uses because that's all i thought they were good for.Surely a blade gets blunter the more you use it?How can it get better?

@Bglayer
I've used Gillette 7 O'clock Green (Indian) blades, they are initially sharper than Gillette 7 O'clock Black, but somehow I prefer the Blacks as by the 3rd use Gillette 7 O'clock Green (Indian) tend to get rough for me.

I'm in a very initial stage of blade testing, so I cannot label any blade bad, but I definitely prefer the Blacks over Green (Permasharp) blades.

The Blacks are able to maintain both sharpness and smoothness well into the 7th use, while for me the Green (permasharp) loses smoothness fairly early.

I believe this opinion may change in a few months, as I get better at judging the blades (for me), for now the Gillette 7 O'clock Black are better than Permasharp (Indian) and Parker Platinum blades are almost same quality.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Gem Personna SS PTFE, a very sharp blade that smooths out nicely as you use it more I have noticed. Very predicable blade
with great longevity.
YY  Gem blade (2).jpg

Top Bottom