What's new

Name 10 movies you never get tired of watching.

In alphabetical order:
A Good Year

Bladerunner (Director’s Cut)

Diamonds Are Forever

Godfather I and II (slight cheat I know)

Goodfellas

Highlander

Pulp Fiction

Snatch

Star Trek Search for Spock

Wolf of Wall Street

There are some great movies on this thread, including some I should watch but have not actually seen

I think I am on a different page that most folks, except Doc4, at least to some extent. There are mighty few, if any, movies I would never tire of watching, and the ones that seem closest to fitting that category skew toward comedy. Airplane and Airplane II, might come close for me, too. Maybe Blazing Saddles. I seem to like A Million Ways to Die in the West more than most folks. Clerks may have been this at one time, but I do not find myself drawn to it anymore. I am tempted to say Blade Runner, but I do not find myself wanting to watch it, as I sit here. Some movies are just too intense for me to watch again and again.

There are some great movies on this thread, including some I should watch but have not actually seen

I think I am on a different page that most folks, except Doc4, at least to some extent. There are mighty few, if any, movies I would never tire of watching, and the ones that seem closest to fitting that category skew toward comedy.

I agree that action and comedy are easier to watch repeatedly, however there are a few tearjerker movies I like to subject myself to on a regular basis. Most movies benefit from watching with an appreciative audience. I had seen both Citizen Kane and Casablanca as a child, but had the opportunity to watch each in an auditorium with a large group of cinephiles. Kane was a lot funnier than I had previously given it credit for, and the rampant patriotism in Casablanca was celebrated throughout with fervor from the crowd.

Citizen Kane and Casablanca are certainly worth watching more than once--the former better even with some scholarly guidance. I have seen both a number of times. probably not ready right now to see either again!

And absolutely there is a lot to like going on in CK, including humor. It is not simply a serious piece of moviemaking!

Last edited:
I agree that action and comedy are easier to watch repeatedly, however there are a few tearjerker movies I like to subject myself to on a regular basis. Most movies benefit from watching with an appreciative audience. I had seen both Citizen Kane and Casablanca as a child, but had the opportunity to watch each in an auditorium with a large group of cinephiles. Kane was a lot funnier than I had previously given it credit for, and the rampant patriotism in Casablanca was celebrated throughout with fervor from the crowd.

For me, a movie needs to have a certain "something" to sustain repeated viewings. As much as I love Bullitt, I cannot watch it now without the temptation to scroll through to favourite "bits". Patton engages because of the tragedy of the man. Python films, which I know virtually by rote, hold little joy for me. A film like Zulu, which is so technically perfect, holds up well for me because of that attention to detail. It's hard for me to pin down just what "it" is, though . . . it is different for each film.

Sometimes its the soundtrack that helps make it what it is. Anything Elmer Bernstein is pretty sure to be a winner.
amen--just lost my vinyl in a basement flood, so lost The 10 Commandments, The Great Escape, The Man With The Golden Arm and a few more of his. He is in my top 3 for movie music.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I really liked the first few Harry Potter Movies. . .

Aside from that . . . I've got Christmas Favourites I seem to watch when I can for the past many years. . .

White Christmas . . .Wonderful life. . . Scrouge. . .

The Sting . . . really liked that one. . .

I have many favorites and good ones too...but I will only list 2 that for sure I can watch over and over and over and never get tired of them maybe because they basically depict my childhood so well from so many angles that they make me go back in time and live it all over again:

Little Rascals
The Sandlot

The Dirty Dozen, The Longest Day, Great Escape
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Life of Brian, Holy Grail
History of the World Part 1, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers
Princess Bride
Man Who Would Be King
A Fistful of Dollars
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Rocky
Blade Runner

And

Of course

Highlander.

A few that come to mind right off the bat:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Big Lebowski
The Shawshank Redemption
Back to the Future Trilogy
A Christmas Story (the Red Rider BB Gun one)
No Country for Old Men
Goonies
The Sandlot
Apollo 13
Napoleon Dynamite
Pulp Fiction
Natural Born Killers

The Big Lebowski
Full Metal Jacket
Rush
The Business
The Firm (2009)
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Shawn of the Dead
Snatch
Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels

Wow, what a great thread... Wow, what a horrible thread... How am I supposed to pick so few??? Lol.

I like comedy. Monty Python and the holy Grail, Ghostbusters (both), all the Chevy Chase National Lampoon's movies, Airplane, Caddyshack, Back to School, Mrs.Doubtfire... Goodness, the list could go on and on. I even find myself watching some newer ones over again... like Baby Mama, Dodgeball, and Accepted.

Big Lebowski
Aliens
Reservoir Dogs
The good, the bad, and the ugly
Blade Runner
Robocop
The Shining
Creepshow
The Thing
The Fly

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
How about a list of admittedly stupid movies that I can’t help but watch? In no particular order:

Dumb and Dumber
Me, Myself, and Irene
Anchorman (two was just ok)
Stepbrothers
Talladega Nights: the Legend of Ricky Bobby
The Campaign
The first three Austin Powers movies
Pee Wee Herman’s Big Adventure (I can’t hear the song Tequila without laughing inside)

Top Bottom