What's new

Name 10 movies you never get tired of watching.

We used to get all the movies the library had for a given director, borrow the lot and have ourselves a mini film fest of that director's work.

Now, in the last seven years i've managed to sit through two non-documentary movies, zero interest.
dave

Here are two I have seen multiple times and could probably watch again: Animal House and Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Neither are as good as I think of them in my head!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I love movies, but I have to say there are very few I have watched repeatedly, and none I would say I would never tire of.

Here are two I have seen multiple times and could probably watch again: Animal House and Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Neither are as good as I think of them in my head!

I think it's hard for a really GOOD movie to fall into the category under discussion ... the "I could watch this over and over and over and never tire of it" sort of movie.

To me, the really GREAT movies have an emotional importance of one sort or another that draws one in and engages one totally ... but they are the sort of thing it is emotionally draining to watch. Draining in a good way, but draining nonetheless. I can't do that every day, and don't want to cheapen the experience by only half-@$$edly watching them the way I'd watch a fun-but-mediocre movie.

Sometimes ... very rarely ... the Venn Diagram of this discussion overlaps and you get a GREAT movie that's also a great "watch it over and over" movie. Zulu, for example. Or The Man Who Would Be King. Both of which are great movies; both of which I could watch repeatedly (let's say once every other day indefinitely) without tiring; neither of which are anywhere near as good as The Seven Samurai ... which I can only watch occasionally.

I think it's hard for a really GOOD movie to fall into the category under discussion ... the "I could watch this over and over and over and never tire of it" sort of movie.

To me, the really GREAT movies have an emotional importance of one sort or another that draws one in and engages one totally ... but they are the sort of thing it is emotionally draining to watch. Draining in a good way, but draining nonetheless. I can't do that every day, and don't want to cheapen the experience by only half-@$$edly watching them the way I'd watch a fun-but-mediocre movie.

Sometimes ... very rarely ... the Venn Diagram of this discussion overlaps and you get a GREAT movie that's also a great "watch it over and over" movie. Zulu, for example. Or The Man Who Would Be King. Both of which are great movies; both of which I could watch repeatedly (let's say once every other day indefinitely) without tiring; neither of which are anywhere near as good as The Seven Samurai ... which I can only watch occasionally.
Very good point. I think Bicycle Thieves and La Dolce Vita are some of the greatest movies ever made, but so emotionally draining that more than 1 time every few years is too much.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Very good point. I think Bicycle Thieves and La Dolce Vita are some of the greatest movies ever made, but so emotionally draining that more than 1 time every few years is too much.

I posted that and then noticed the new "top ten westerns" thread, which gave me a similar thought, comparing John Wayne's The Searchers to Rio Bravo ... the former being by far the better film; the latter being far more "every Saturday afternoon" watchable.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
M*A*S*H
Kelly's Heroes
The Philadelphia Story
Star Trek (the J.J. Abrams reboot)
The Big Lebowski
A Christmas Story
South Pacific
Goodfellas
The Right Stuff
name your Godfather

1. Cabaret
  2. The seventh seal (Ingmar Bergman)
  3. The big Lebowski
  4. Father where art thou
  5. Casablanca
  6. Smile of a summer night (Ingmar Bergman 1955)
  7. Blade runner (both of them)
  8. All quiet on the western front (1929)
  9. Unknown soldier (Finnish WWII movie, original version from 1955)
  10. Chicago

Legion

Staff member
Blues Brothers
Fight club
Seven
Seven Samurai
Blade Runner
Mad max
Mad Max Fury Road
The Godfather
Taxi Driver
Aliens.

There are way more than that, but those are the first ten to pop into my head.

Legion

Staff member
Seven? A phenomenal movie but so brutally dark. Just watching it once was an ordeal. I can't imagine what repeated viewings would do to my view of humanity.
In the words of Bart Simpson, "If you don't watch the violence You'll never get desensitised to it!"

Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
African Queen
The Godfather I
The Godfather II
Die Hard
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Pulp Fiction
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Unforgiven

Plus several more but you only asked for 10. I own all of these and they get repeated use.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
You won’t. I’ll let you know.

I have been using the “Be nice” part for as many years as I can remember while teaching defensive tactics and officer safety courses and practicals. I have used it in Mexico, Canada, United States, Moldova, and a few other countries. It is so true and it really works.

Last edited:
Jeramiah Johnson

Almost no one remembers Jeremiah Johnson. It was a family favorite growing up.

Jeremiah Johnston
True Grit
Princess Bride
Caddy Shack
Bridge over the River Kwai
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
A River RunsThrough It
Star Wars
The Matrix
Ben Hur

Top Bottom