Name 10 movies you never get tired of watching.

Discussion in 'The Barber Shop' started by CallMeNugget, Jun 19, 2019.

I could do a list like this just based on genres . . . or actors.

1. emwolf

emwolf Contributor

those are both good ideas.

2. We used to get all the movies the library had for a given director, borrow the lot and have ourselves a mini film fest of that director's work.

Now, in the last seven years i've managed to sit through two non-documentary movies, zero interest.
    dave

3. The Knize

The Knize Moderator Emeritus

Here are two I have seen multiple times and could probably watch again: Animal House and Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Neither are as good as I think of them in my head!

4. Doc4

Doc4 Moderator Emeritus

I think it's hard for a really GOOD movie to fall into the category under discussion ... the "I could watch this over and over and over and never tire of it" sort of movie.

To me, the really GREAT movies have an emotional importance of one sort or another that draws one in and engages one totally ... but they are the sort of thing it is emotionally draining to watch. Draining in a good way, but draining nonetheless. I can't do that every day, and don't want to cheapen the experience by only [email protected]$$edly watching them the way I'd watch a fun-but-mediocre movie.

Sometimes ... very rarely ... the Venn Diagram of this discussion overlaps and you get a GREAT movie that's also a great "watch it over and over" movie. Zulu, for example. Or The Man Who Would Be King. Both of which are great movies; both of which I could watch repeatedly (let's say once every other day indefinitely) without tiring; neither of which are anywhere near as good as The Seven Samurai ... which I can only watch occasionally.

5. emwolf

emwolf Contributor

Very good point. I think Bicycle Thieves and La Dolce Vita are some of the greatest movies ever made, but so emotionally draining that more than 1 time every few years is too much.

6. Doc4

Doc4 Moderator Emeritus

I posted that and then noticed the new "top ten westerns" thread, which gave me a similar thought, comparing John Wayne's The Searchers to Rio Bravo ... the former being by far the better film; the latter being far more "every Saturday afternoon" watchable.

7. martym

martym Contributor

I must add:
    The Great Santini!!

8. TexLaw

TexLaw Contributor

M*A*S*H
    Kelly's Heroes
    The Philadelphia Story
    Star Trek (the J.J. Abrams reboot)
    The Big Lebowski
    A Christmas Story
    South Pacific
    Goodfellas
    The Right Stuff
    name your Godfather

9. TexLaw

TexLaw Contributor

The Muppet Move
    Mary Poppins

(we all cheat)

10. Polarbeard

Polarbeard Contributor Ambassador

1. Cabaret
    2. The seventh seal (Ingmar Bergman)
    3. The big Lebowski
    4. Father where art thou
    5. Casablanca
    6. Smile of a summer night (Ingmar Bergman 1955)
    7. Blade runner (both of them)
    8. All quiet on the western front (1929)
    9. Unknown soldier (Finnish WWII movie, original version from 1955)
    10. Chicago

11. Legion

Legion Moderator Emeritus

Blues Brothers
    Fight club
    Seven
    Seven Samurai
    Blade Runner
    Mad max
    Mad Max Fury Road
    The Godfather
    Taxi Driver
    Aliens.

There are way more than that, but those are the first ten to pop into my head.

12. Seven? A phenomenal movie but so brutally dark. Just watching it once was an ordeal. I can't imagine what repeated viewings would do to my view of humanity.

13. Legion

Legion Moderator Emeritus

In the words of Bart Simpson, "If you don't watch the violence You'll never get desensitised to it!"

14. Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    African Queen
    The Godfather I
    The Godfather II
    Die Hard
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    Pulp Fiction
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    Unforgiven

Plus several more but you only asked for 10. I own all of these and they get repeated use.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

15. Doc4

Doc4 Moderator Emeritus

16. martym

martym Contributor

Be nice until it’s time not to be nice.

17. Doc4

Doc4 Moderator Emeritus

How will we know?

18. martym

martym Contributor

You won’t. I’ll let you know.

I have been using the “Be nice” part for as many years as I can remember while teaching defensive tactics and officer safety courses and practicals. I have used it in Mexico, Canada, United States, Moldova, and a few other countries. It is so true and it really works.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  19. Almost no one remembers Jeremiah Johnson. It was a family favorite growing up.

Jeremiah Johnston
    True Grit
    Princess Bride
    Caddy Shack
    Bridge over the River Kwai
    Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
    A River RunsThrough It
    Star Wars
    The Matrix
    Ben Hur