What's new

Naked Pucks

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I leave the soap for a few hours to dry and then if the mug has a cover I use it, if not then I do not cover the soap. I only have two or three soaps in use at any one time so they are not uncovered for long.

Hi,

Open. Always. My dad did as well. I have Oster hard soap pucks for a barbershop latherservice machine from the 1950s (at the latest). Oster packed six pucks to a box and the boxes have vent holes in them. So, they wanted those pucks stored vented until put into the machine.

Stan

I used to. now I keep 6 soaps at the house in lidded containers so that they stay better hydrated and easier to load. also keeps the dust out of them.

4 sticks I have are lidded or in a tin, but a couple I don't routinely use/travel with will get a slight wet down every 6 months or so if I remember. headed to the bathroom now....

I scooped out a whole container of B&M 42 and put it in a shave mug. The smell was strong for a while and filled up the whole room. Now, the smell has faded, but I don't mind. I'm not a huge smell guy, more interested in soap performance and post shave.

I bought a stainless steel dish with a lid just because I was tired of losing scent. But I prefer having it in a shaving mug it’s just more convenient but you lose the scent

I use plastic storage tubs (5 for $1 from Dollar General) to store soap pucks. Picture shows one to start the FFFMM challenge, lid is not shown.

View attachment 1085095
Recently, I merged my Proraso Green and Red into one container. Both pucks were well used, and when melted down, folded together nicely. Will shave with it tomorrow (11 Apr 2020).
How did the proraso work and smell

I put them in an Anchor Hocking storage tub with a cover.

Same here. I put refill pucks in Anchor Hocking or Pyrex 1 cup bowls with the rubber lid. When I use soap I load out of the bowl, wipe off any lather left on the puck and then store with the lid on.

I am finding it harder and harder to find naked pucks with minimal packaging, e.g. Fine Accoutrements now only sell soaps in tubs. I already have tubs. I don't want to pay for more tubs!

D.R. Harris makes it a point to sell naked pucks in a simple box.

I noticed that Top of the Chain sells some of the Stirling soaps either way; a 5.8 oz. container, and a refill puck for about $5 CAD less.

I am finding it harder and harder to find naked pucks with minimal packaging, e.g. Fine Accoutrements now only sell soaps in tubs. I already have tubs. I don't want to pay for more tubs!

Mitchell's wool fat comes as a puck on its own. You can pay extra for a ceramic dish or wooden bowl though but I didn't. I use hard soaps, air dry for a few hours and wrap in waxed baking paper or put the lid back on.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I leave it open. I only have six or seven soaps, so it's no big deal. I rotate through them all. Stirling Bay Rum I bought as a refill. It went into the shaving bowl that Ogallala used to be in. Used up the Ogallala...but I just leave it open...no cover. It's fine.

Top Bottom