What's new

Naked Eye Nebula

Last night I happened to be outside, and, of course, checked Betelgeuse. In the process, I noticed something barely visible, diffuse, in the lower part of the constellation Orion. Could it be? I looked at it again to be sure, and did a little averted vision. Yes, it was. The Orion Nebula. Wasn't sure, but another family member confirmed it. What's so unusual is it's approaching full moon, we had an outside light on, and our eyes were nowhere near dark adapted.

It's been years since I've seen that with the naked eye. I thought my eyes might be too old. Apparently, they weren't. That we didn't see this earlier is likely due to atmospheric conditions, something I don't usually think about unless there are clouds in the sky.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Last night I happened to be outside, and, of course, checked Betelgeuse. In the process, I noticed something barely visible, diffuse, in the lower part of the constellation Orion. Could it be? I looked at it again to be sure, and did a little averted vision. Yes, it was. The Orion Nebula. Wasn't sure, but another family member confirmed it. What's so unusual is it's approaching full moon, we had an outside light on, and our eyes were nowhere near dark adapted.

It's been years since I've seen that with the naked eye. I thought my eyes might be too old. Apparently, they weren't. That we didn't see this earlier is likely due to atmospheric conditions, something I don't usually think about unless there are clouds in the sky.

I've been playing with astrophotography and its easier to shoot than see!

Too starlike for me.

AA

I haven't really focused on spotting the Nebula with my own eyes lately. I usually just haul out the dobsonian light bucket and start my sky fishing. I will have to try this soon though. Thanks for the tip.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I haven't really focused on spotting the Nebula with my own eyes lately. I usually just haul out the dobsonian light bucket and start my sky fishing. I will have to try this soon though. Thanks for the tip.

Wish I had the room for a giant dobsonian!

"Sky fishing." Hopefully that means what I think; getting lost in the sky, going from cluster to double to fuzzy Messier item - and what was that? Where's the map? Did I just see ...

I enjoy that on a clear night with the 20x80 Oberwerks.

Satellite hunting is another great pastime, but maybe not with a dobsonian! Though accidental captures would be amazing.

AA

Averted vision also works with naked eye sighting of celestial objects just like it does in the eyepiece.
I find this technique quite advantageous with my 57 year old eyes when stargazing!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yep. Grab a star atlas. Look at the night sky. Go 'see' what you can catch that night. So peaceful. Miss what you sought, find something else. Then fish your wish (upon a star, sorry)!

Still wish I had a 14" Dobsonian, but deep sky binocs also allow spacewalking.

M45: felt like I was observing the Pleiades from a short distance away!

AA

My retirement dream is to grind my own lenses, build my own 'skeletal' light-weight dobsonian, and see all the things I haven't seen. By then, light pollution creep and old eyes. Eh. I still dream.

Best Ebay purchase for me to date (sorry B&B) was my Tele Vue 8-24mm click-stop zoom. Opened up the sky to me, as a novice.

But yes, deep sky binocs are best for most people. Brings the moon, Jupiter, and Saturn to life! And the Pleiades are amazingly bright.

Last edited:
You know, it's possible there is one benefit to the global manufacturing slowdowns... It's been a long time since all our coal-fired plants have been idled due to the reduction of needed electricity.

Top Bottom